1st time on princess carribean

formula14

Hello,

This is my 1st time cruising. We are 2 couples taking the princess caribbean cruise out on New York this summer. We are flying to New York in the early morning. How far is Newark airport to Brooklyn port. Also how long is the ride during a weekday morning and would anyone know how much it would cost by cab and if 4 people fit in 1 cab with 4 luggages?

How early can we board on. If we show up early, is there anything around the red hook brooklyn port (any restaurants)?

Thanks in advance for any advise. I would greatly appreciate it.

:)

Hello,

This is my 1st time cruising. We are 2 couples taking the princess caribbean cruise out on New York this summer. We are flying to New York in the early morning. How far is Newark airport to Brooklyn port. Also how long is the ride during a weekday morning and would anyone know how much it would cost by cab and if 4 people fit in 1 cab with 4 luggages?

How early can we board on. If we show up early, is there anything around the red hook brooklyn port (any restaurants)?

What date are you leaving?

Hello,

I'm sure someone will post the link to the site for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal...we sailed the Crown out of NY this past year but your questions are applicable.

Newark Airport (without the benefit of me using Yahoo! Maps) is at LEAST a one hour car drive from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (that really means allow 2 hours for a conservative person like moi). It doesn't matter if you take the Goethals bridge and drive across Staten Island to the Verranzano to Brooklyn or if you go through Manhattan through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. If it takes less than 2 hours than you will be pleased. When I lived in NY I didn't measure a trip based on mileage; I based it on how long the drive would take in minutes or hours.

I doubt you will get there "early" but if you do be forewarned the port is in an industrial area and there are really no restaurants within a half-mile of the port entrance and it's a good quarter mile from the port entrance gate to the ship. There are some restaurants along Atlantic Avenue but unless you are armed with a Garmin or Tom-Tom I'd just go right to the ship.

Do you have the flexibility to fly into LaGuardia versus Newark? I would recommend that option. There are no toll bridges/ tunnels between LGA and the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. It's a straight shot down the BQE to the port exit near Atlantic Avenue, although traffic will be horrendous irrespective of the route you take.

Oh yes...PLEASE - PLEASE bring a Yahoo! or Google Map from your airport to the pier. There are plenty of cabs/ car services that have absolutely no idea how to get to the port. When we sailed the Crown last year I brought a Yahoo! Map and it SAVED us all a lot of grief. The car service driver did not know the directions and it had been quite some years since I had driven in Brooklyn.

You will have an absolutely STUPENDOUS view of the Statue of Liberty as you sail out of NY and if you're brave enough, go to the highest point of the ship as you pass under the Verranzano....it feels as if you can touch the bottom of the bridge!

Thanks for all the help. We really appreciate all you help and advice. We were looking into Newark because the flights are much cheaper than laguardia and JFK.

How much do you think it would cost in cab fare from Newark to redhook Brooklyn Port? It may not be worth it, if we land in Newark to save that $50. We should then consider Laguardia or may be JFK.

Please let me know.

Thank you very much for all your insights. We greatly appreciate it.

Hi,

Unfortunately, we can't leave the day before. But, we are considering taking an early flight the day of cruise. We will get in to Newark by 8:00 a.m. I think it should give us plenty of time. Ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00 p.m. This should give us plenty of time to get to port. But, this option is the cheapest for airfare, saving each couple $160.00. We have also looked in the transfer fare with princess. It would cost $40. per person to and from. Wondering if it's better to pay the transfer, or consider Laguardia or may be JFK. What do you think?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have.

thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, we can't leave the day before. But, we are considering taking an early flight the day of cruise. We will get in to Newark by 8:00 a.m. I think it should give us plenty of time. Ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00 p.m. This should give us plenty of time to get to port. But, this option is the cheapest for airfare, saving each couple $160.00. We have also looked in the transfer fare with princess. It would cost $40. per person to and from. Wondering if it's better to pay the transfer, or consider Laguardia or may be JFK. What do you think?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you may have.

thanks

Most times I would say skip the transfer but in this case, sounds like less of a hassle and cheaper than a taxi to and from. :)

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the van Taxi's are more expensive than a car taxi?

I would appreciate if you can let me know.

Thanks.:)

I would also post this on the East Coast departure board. Alot of NY information over there. ;)

Thanks for the info. Would you know if the van Taxi's are more expensive than a car taxi?

I would appreciate if you can let me know.

Thanks.:)

Last time we took one, same price!!! Maybe a few more $$ in tips because of the four of us!

Newark Airport (without the benefit of me using Yahoo! Maps) is at LEAST a one hour car drive from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (that really means allow 2 hours for a conservative person like moi). It doesn't matter if you take the Goethals bridge and drive across Staten Island to the Verranzano to Brooklyn or if you go through Manhattan through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. If it takes less than 2 hours than you will be pleased. When I lived in NY I didn't measure a trip based on mileage; I based it on how long the drive would take in minutes or hours.

Wow...how did you go? Via slowboat to China? Unless you are traveling at the height of the rush hour, it won't take an hour or more to get to Brooklyn from Neward Airport. Take I78 East to the Holland Tunnel. Once through the tunnel, follow West St. south to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Once through the tunnel toll, stay to the right. The exit for the pier is a few feet past the toll booths. There will be signs posted to follow to the pier from there.

The extra time you allow can be spent stopping at Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies....they are the best, especially the chocolate covered tarts. OMG! They never make it out of the parking lot. The shop is just a few blocks from the pier.

Hi Bob,

We are leaving on July 10. Have you been on the caribbean princess leaving out of brooklyn (red hood) new york?

Let me know.

Thanks

We are on the same cruise!! See you onboard.

if you can do newark go for it,it is about 20 miles to port,roughly 60 $ per couple,and might need 2 cabs,also there is alot of construction going on at jfk, and along route to the port, so be advised it may take a little longer than your last trip,hope this helps you,have a dreat cruise;)

Archived