Cabo Parasailing (Make sure the boat has gas!!!)

edmonton31

My Wife and I went parasailing in Cabo on our first ever cruise. (Pride March 30,08) There were 4 of us and I decided to go last. Big mistake I guess, the boat ran out of gas and I ended up in the ocean. I didn't really want to go in the first place as I'm kind of scared of heights and I have always had a big fear of sharks so I'm not a fan of swimming in the ocean. It really sucked but I guess it could have been worse. Obviously I didn't have to pay and they gave us a free water taxi back, but it wasn't quite the first parasailing experience I could have hoped for. The worst of it was waiting in the water for a boat to come and get me. Has anyone else had an experience like that parasailing? I would really like to try it again in the Caribbean on our next cruise because I really did enjoy the part where I was actually in the air!! haha. Other than that, we really enjoyed our first cruise and I do believe we are hooked!

The ride down was alright because I didn't know what was happening. By the time I figured it out and saw them trying to reel me in I was about 15 feet from the water. I guess I didn't have much time to panic.

Oh my goodness.... now my husband will never go!!! LOL He isnt very fond of heights either. We are planning to go parasailing in cabo also... perhaps I should wear my own parachute!! What company were you using? I'd like to know who to avoid ;)

Glad everything turned out okay!!

My Wife and I went parasailing in Cabo . I didn't really want to go in the first place as I'm kind of scared of heights and I have always had a big fear of sharks

Has anyone else had an experience like that parasailing? I would really like to try it again in the Caribbean on our next cruise

The Caribbean is loaded with sharks... :eek: Are you really sure the Caribbean is more safe than the Pacific?

My Wife and I went parasailing in Cabo on our first ever cruise. (Pride March 30,08) There were 4 of us and I decided to go last. Big mistake I guess, the boat ran out of gas and I ended up in the ocean. I didn't really want to go in the first place as I'm kind of scared of heights and I have always had a big fear of sharks so I'm not a fan of swimming in the ocean. It really sucked but I guess it could have been worse. Obviously I didn't have to pay and they gave us a free water taxi back, but it wasn't quite the first parasailing experience I could have hoped for. The worst of it was waiting in the water for a boat to come and get me. Has anyone else had an experience like that parasailing? I would really like to try it again in the Caribbean on our next cruise because I really did enjoy the part where I was actually in the air!! haha. Other than that, we really enjoyed our first cruise and I do believe we are hooked!

WOW, never thought about the boat running out of fuel, Wendy has Parasailed in Cabo twice now, lucky for you, you did know how to swim. Did you remove the Parachute harness?

Fred

Glad it turned out alright for you. If it would have been my, and I doubt it cause I am a chicken when it comes to height (I always request lower floor in hotels) and I am terrified of things in the ocean. I would have had a heart attack and trust me it would have been payback to the person who ran out of gas that had to help haul my big rear into the boat.

My 14 year old grandaughter went parasailing when we were in Destin last summer. She wanted me to go-I said no way. I paid for my friends daughters boyfriend to go up with her. It was well worth every penny..She had a blast and I kept my feet on the sand.

However, the sharks in the Caribbean are much more friendly, in fact many of them have false teeth and could not harm you if they wanted to.

Freindly shark? Never heard of a friendly shark. Hopefully I'll never get close enough to shake a sharks hand (fin or whatever they have).

WOW, never thought about the boat running out of fuel, Wendy has Parasailed in Cabo twice now, lucky for you, you did know how to swim. Did you remove the Parachute harness?

Fred

I was trying to get the harness off but I couldn't do it. It was actually still attached to me when the rescue boat came to get me. He was telling me to relax and not panic and to undo the harness. I looked at him and said just get me in the boat. I think he sensed how not impressed I was, so he hauled me up and undid the harness.

I was trying to get the harness off but I couldn't do it. It was actually still attached to me when the rescue boat came to get me. He was telling me to relax and not panic and to undo the harness. I looked at him and said just get me in the boat. I think he sensed how not impressed I was, so he hauled me up and undid the harness.

Im glad you made it out ok. Thanks for posting this info

Fred

Hi,

Let's see,

Friendly Shark: Whale Shark

Unfriendly Sharks (in the Pacific) Great White, Bull Shark, Mako, Tiger, Blue, etc.

Odds: You will meet an "unfriendly" rather than a "friendly".

TRVLshark9bb.jpg

jaws-swimmer-victim.jpg

I'll just stay on the beach, thank you very much!

Sharks in the Carribean are friendlier? Wasn't there a news story about a month ago about an Austrian man who was bitten and died from a shark bite? The group was diving to see sharks. Something about chum in the water to attract the sharks. Wasn't this off the Bahamas?

Something tells me sharks are just as "unfriendly" in any ocean!

Stay safe!

Lee

You wear a life jacket when you parasail, so swimming is not the problem. I can promise you one thing for sure. If this happened to me swimming would not have been the problem, the heart attack from the panic being in the ocean would have been the problem.

You wear a life jacket when you parasail, so swimming is not the problem. I can promise you one thing for sure. If this happened to me swimming would not have been the problem, the heart attack from the panic being in the ocean would have been the problem.

Yes, the swimming was a non issue....it was being in the ocean that made me panic for sure. Also, the straps around me and being attached to the parachute had me less than thrilled as well.

Wasn't there a news story about a month ago about an Austrian man who was bitten and died from a shark bite?

Lee

To my knowledge there are no peace treaties between Austrians and Sharks. They are still working on it.

Fred

To my knowledge there are no peace treaties between Austrians and Sharks. They are still working on it.

Fred

:D Hopefully the Caribbean sharks don't have anything against Canadian's if I end up in the drink again!!

:D Hopefully the Caribbean sharks don't have anything against Canadian's if I end up in the drink again!!

That reminds me of what happend to some friends from our church. They are big goose hunters of what we call "Canadian's". They were up in the NY state area meeting with another church group and noticed alot of the white canadians goose in the area. He asked one of the NY'ers if they ever shoot any "Canadian's"? With a shocked expression on his face he said "No most of them are quite frendly". Finaly they explained they were asking about hunting googe not people north of the border. They must think all the folk from Texas are rednecks with shotguns in their trucks (they are BTY).

That reminds me of what happend to some friends from our church. They are big goose hunters of what we call "Canadian's". They were up in the NY state area meeting with another church group and noticed alot of the white canadians goose in the area. He asked one of the NY'ers if they ever shoot any "Canadian's"? With a shocked expression on his face he said "No most of them are quite frendly". Finaly they explained they were asking about hunting googe not people north of the border. They must think all the folk from Texas are rednecks with shotguns in their trucks (they are BTY).

HaHa, every person we've met from Texas has been so friendly. We Love listening to you talk, such a wicked accent.

Many of those non-US parasailing companies don't carry insurance.

Make sure you do your research and plan your parasailing with a company that carries insurance...don't just jump on with someone who shows up on the beach with a boat and a parachute!

(I know someone who was injured in a parasailing accident while visiting Grand Cayman several years ago...and I just want YOU to be safe!)

Do your research BEFORE you parasail...anywhere!

Archived