Our day in port of San Juan

cck0000

Since our ship was only here for 4 hours, we decided to do some exploring on our own. We walked off the ship and found the free trolley stops near the pier easily. Lots of taxi drivers were trying to sell us their tours. It was a bit of a wait for the trolley. We did make it on the first "FORT" trolley that came along, but some others did not, due to the long line.

It was a pleasant trolley ride to El Morro. We passed the other fort since we felt we didnt have time to see both. When we arrived at El Morro,( the trolley goes right up to the entrance) we got out and explored the fort on our own. It seemed like a long line to get in, but it moved quickly. It is a beautiful, facscinating place. We all enjoyed walking around, reading the signs, and taking pictures. At the gift shop we purchased a kite and my kids had a blast taking turns flying it on the huge lawns outside the entrance to El Morro. Fun!

Again, the line was very long to get back on one of the trolleys, so we decided to walk back to the ship. We found it easy to navigate just walking in that general direction. We meandered through Old Town and into some of the shops. All the shops were very crowded that afternoon. I tried to go into the Polo shop but it was so crowded I found it unpleasant. Same goes for the Coach outlet store. It was packed with shoppers. Thats ok, there was nothing I needed to buy anyway.

There were lots of vendors on the streets selling the knock-off purses too.

We had a nice afternoon

The trolley stop was a lot closer than I thought as well. Just turn left when you get off the pier and walk a little bit. We stopped at both forts and I think I enjoyed San Cristobal more. We didn't have to wait long for the trolley to take us from San Cristobal to El Morro, but we ended up waiting almost half an hour for it around 1:00 when we were ready to leave. There was a lot of traffic getting back to the pier. If we didn't have kids with us, we probably would have walked back and gotten there before the trolley. Admission to both forts is only $5.00 per adult, kids under 15 are free. Just show them your receipt for admission into the second fort.

Archived