Do your Laundry

BIG4YA

Well, what can I say? She was a young woman who was sick of school and needed a job. In Alaska she didn't have many choices. The captain brought everyone home at the end of the season with all their fingers and toes and no big injuries or sickness. She learned a great deal about life and how hard it can get.

After she got married she lived in a 14 ft travel trailer until her sons were 4 and 6. That's a lot of Alaskan winters cooped up with 2 active boys! She and her husband built their own house in the Chugach mountains inch by inch. It took years but they had no mortgage when it was completed.

Alaska has a very hard side that most tourists never see. If you can make it there, you really can make it about anywhere.

I've seen plenty of clothes on some of our working folks that should be thrown away rather than washed. :D

But fishing in SE AK is a bit different than going out into the gulf. They usually come back every day and have a sort of normal life. And boat live-aboard is a cheap alternative in a place with high housing costs, so there's plenty of people near the harbors who need a laundromat.

I plan to use the self service laundry on our HAL cruise in July. As other posts say, Alaska will involve packing everything from jeans/hiking boots to formal wear and dress shoes. On top of that, we're traveling another week post-cruise. I'm going to do laundry one evening towards the end of the cruise since I stay up late anyway.

One tip- during the year we save up old socks and underwear for long trips. We will take 1 week's worth with us, wash it at the end of the first week, then throw it away after we wear it during the second week. That will free up luggage space for cool Alaska purchases!

Archived