Room Service

urfin

Hi, we have another stupid question. We have never used room service before, just never had a need. And, we are not sure how it works in USA in general (we are from Europe), and on Valor in particular.

We understand that food is free, and to order it, there will be menu in the room, and we have to hang it on the door, or call somewhere?

We also have to pay $1 to $3 for delivery.

1. Is it correct?

2. How it is delivered (do they knock on the door, and you have to open it), or they can deliver to inside the room (What I am thinking is to surprise my better half by ordering in advance, and wake up to the smell of coffee).

Thank you for your advices,

Ulric

quote.gif

Hi, we have another stupid question. We have never used room service before, just never had a need. And, we are not sure how it works in USA in general (we are from Europe), and on Valor in particular.

We understand that food is free, and to order it, there will be menu in the room, and we have to hang it on the door, or call somewhere?

1. Is it correct?

You do not HAVE to pay $1-$3. Usually most people will tip the delivery person around that amount for bringing the tray(s). We usually tip $1 per tray brought to us.

There is a menu in the room. You can use the phone (which will show which extension to call) and place your order. If you want breakfast room service, you can fill out the menu card and hang it on the outside door knob. You'll specify what you want and at what time on the card.

2. How it is delivered (do they knock on the door, and you have to open it), or they can deliver to inside the room (What I am thinking is to surprise my better half by ordering in advance, and wake up to the smell of coffee).

They knock on the door and you answer. You will have to sign for it although there is no charge. It will also show up on your bill as "Room Service" but the charge will be $00.00. It startled me a bit when I saw it on the bill until I followed the line over a bit! :)

Ulric

quote.gif

Hope this helps! :)

PS- There are no stupid questions. The only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked! :D

To order it, you will just mark off what you would like on the card provided and what time you would like it delivered, then put that on your outside door handle the night before.

You don't really have to "pay" for delivery, but a tip is always appreciated, I usually give about $2

They knock on your door at the time you specified, maybe you could ask them to knock lightly? Or just open the door a little bit and get the food and then turn around and ask your wife if she would allow you to serve her breakfast in bed? Or something along those lines

Hope this helped!

There is no way for them to deliver it quetly inside the room?

My thinking is to wake her up with a smell of coffee, not me going to the door.

Kinda make it a surprise, like a magic.

They knock on your door at the time you specified, maybe you could ask them to knock lightly? Or just open the door a little bit and get the food and then turn around and ask your wife if she would allow you to serve her breakfast in bed? Or something along those lines

Hope this helped!

Is it always the same person delivering the food to the particular room, or always a different one?

It could be the same person, but often it is someone different. Maybe you could talk to your room steward and see if he could set it up for you, since they have master keys.

Good idea but depending on the time of delivery, the room steward may not be on duty. Also not sure if the room service staff would feel comfortable just waliking into someone's cabin. (That's just me - super paranoid! :eek: )

BTW: Love your user name!

Good idea but depending on the time of delivery, the room steward may not be on duty. Also not sure if the room service staff would feel comfortable just waliking into someone's cabin. (That's just me - super paranoid! :eek: )

BTW: Love your user name!

I was thinking if they couldn't do it, maybe they could arrrange something with someone else, they are usually so accommodating.

And thanks EmmysMommy! I really do feel so at home when cruising.

Not to get too off topic here, but I see that you're from Orange County, that's where I grew up! :D

1. Is it correct?

Ulric

There are two menus in the room. One is a card for continental breakfast. Coffee, juice, toast, things like that. You indicate what and how many of the items you desire and the time you want it delivered and hang it outside you cabin door the night before you want it.

The second menu is available 24 hours a day. It will be found in the information book in the room. You call room service and tell them what you want, ordering by the number that is next to the food item you desire.

Here is an example of that menu:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/menus/IMG_4081.JPG

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/menus/IMG_4082.JPG

The time it takes for food from the second menu to be delivered can vary. It is usually relatively quick, but not always - particularly on days when the cruise ship arrives in port early.

1) Yes. It is free - included in the price you paid for the cruise. A tip is customary - the amount varies depending on how much you order. A small order - $1-$2 and a large order $2-$3 is typical. The tips for this service are not included in the normal tips, and the person who brings you the food is not always the same, so you tip a little each time.

2) They knock on your door. They can hand you the tray of food, or you can ask them to bring it into the room and put it on the table or desk. It is not exactly like room service in a luxury hotel where they have a cart of food they roll into the cabin.

An example room service breakfast:

IMG_0825.JPG

Another choice would be for you to sneak out of the room and go up to the Lido (maybe say you are just going for a walk?) and grab a tray of food from the Lido buffet and bring back to the room. You will have a larger selection to choose from, including bacon, sausage, eggs and more, but no pots of coffee available - only cups and they can spill.

A combination of the options is certainly possible

If you really want to impress the significant other, you could pre-order roses from the Bon Voyage department.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?pid=702#_

DozenRoses702a.jpg

Enjoy!

There is no way for them to deliver it quetly inside the room?

My thinking is to wake her up with a smell of coffee, not me going to the door.

Kinda make it a surprise, like a magic.

If you are thinking room service will open your door without knocking and serve you breakfast in bed, I think that will not happen.

You could probably explain to your cabin steward what you want and see if they will do it, but I would tip them more. There are so many ways your steward could get in trouble if you were to change your mind.

What you are asking for is theoretically possible but not typical. I would not expect for it to happen and then be very happy if it does! Magic for two!

If you are thinking room service will open your door without knocking and serve you breakfast in bed, I think that will not happen.

You could probably explain to your cabin steward what you want and see if they will do it, but I would tip them more. There are so many ways your steward could get in trouble if you were to change your mind.

What you are asking for is theoretically possible but not typical. I would not expect for it to happen and then be very happy if it does! Magic for two!

Or perhaps stand in the doorway, hold the door open a crack and wait to avoid the knock? I guess that would depend on how sound of a sleeper the wife is! ;)

Or perhaps stand in the doorway, hold the door open a crack and wait to avoid the knock? I guess that would depend on how sound of a sleeper the wife is! ;)

That would work, but also requires the OP to get out of bed ? :confused:

Ear plugs (also have to be eye shades) or ambien (sp?) would help the better half issue.

I have also found that the room service staff want to keep the cabin door open while delivering your food items. I think it is a safety precaution for them. They don't want to be accused of anything inappropriate by a guest.

I have also found that the room service staff want to keep the cabin door open while delivering your food items. I think it is a safety precaution for them. They don't want to be accused of anything inappropriate by a guest.

Ahh? Occused of what? Delivering the food?

Also, what "OP" means - some people call me OP for some reason.

Hmm... Now that you mention it, you're right. I usually have men deliver and most of the time they'll stop in the doorway. Sounds like a great safety precaution for all parties.

Just a quick tip for when you order it on the phone. First the Menu is located inside the green info book, if its not there go down to the Pursers Deck and they will give you a copy.

The menu items will have a number next to it, like 1) Orange Juice 2) Apple Juice and 27) Creamy Tuna on English Muffin etc.

When you make the call, just tell them you like to order Three #1 and Two #27 and so on. We ordered room service when we returned from an excursion onboard Freedom last week and it only took 35 minutes.

There is a galley dedicated specifically for Room Service and they do know what the numbers mean so you don't have to tell them what the item is.

Fred

Why not tell them to leave it outside your door and you bring it in

I forgot to mention, I leave my door wide open so when they arrive they just walk right in, it sucks holding that tray up especially on a long trip. They don't use Food Carts like they do in Hotels.

Fred

Archived