Flying to Miami!!!!

kaeffe

This is a big deal for me as we are going to fly down from Baton Rouge, La. I haven't flown in over 20+ years as I developed a deep fear of flying when the plane was blown up over Scotland years ago. We've been cruising for 15 yrs from ports we can drive to. I finally agreed to try and get over my fear of flying for my love of cruising.

People often asked me why I have such a fear of flying and not of cruising as a ship can sink as well as a plane can crash. My answer is if the ship goes down I figure I stand a chance as I know how to swim but if the plane goes down I don't know how to fly.

I may need Valium!!!! SP?

Haha - I'll have to rememeber that "I don't know how to fly" - dont be nervous - just think about how may others are in the air at the same time as you and what the actual possibilities of harm is.. I mean really consider that. Of course just remember that you are heading to vacation - at least there is something worth waiting for at the end of the flight - unlike those who travel lots to attend business meetings- UGH!

Haha... You are not alone. I am in the same "boat" as you!

I used to fly with no fears, now... I total white knuckle it all the way!!! I have read some information on the topic. I have to fly to Miami in Dec. to reach my fabulous cruise ship, which of course I have no fears of just like you, and I am starting to plan for my flying adventure now.

The "experts" say to put a rubber band around your wrist and every time you get nervous snap it. Most medications just curve the fear or do nothing at all, and they say stay away from alcohol. Hmmm... so what's left?

I plan on not sleeping the night before so I can hopefully fall asleep on the plane.

But to help you feel better, believe it or not even if the engines die out on a plane which is like 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000.... chances the plane will still linger in the air. The experts also say visit an airplane and watch them take off and land.

Good luck! I know I will need it too.

I used to be a white knuckle flyer, and actually it was 9/11 that CURED me of it. I was so afraid of that plane crashing and was sure that every bump we hit was gonna throw us out of the air. Now, I just look at it as the best way to get from point A to point B and it's simply not worth my anxiety to worry about it. The captain certainly values his life dearly, and so I have complete faith in him. And frankly, as another poster put it, if it's my time to go, then it's my time to go. No sense stressing over it. Fly and LOVE it!

Well, we seem to all agree that we have to be 'big girls (or boys' and do it !!

My sister who is even worse than I -didn't lose the fear but has done it 3 times recently after 30 years of no flying !! She gave me the courage to fly from my city to Seattle, non stop. I used to fly 8 times a month for work .but when we retired - got out of the habit.

I figure if the choice is flying to where the ship is - or staying home - guess what !! I'm going.

Bon Voyage, MaryAnn

I was a United stewardess (flight attendant) from 1967 to 1987. I also got my private pilot's license in 1973 (my former husband and I had our own little Cessna 150). We flew our ten-day old son to New York to meet his grandparents. Flying was like breathing to me . . . I loved it with a passion hard to describe . . . as did my family. My former husband was editor of Flying Magazine and our son is now a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard stationed in Alaska.

So why do I tell you this? Because I am now terrified to fly . . . :eek: Why? I haven't a clue. I've flown all over the world and just over a year ago, I flew from the East Coast to California for a cruise to the Mexican Riviera with my son. I'll be leaving on Saturday, April 26th, to fly to Miami for my cruise to the Western Carribbean. But . . . my son so wants me to visit him in Kodiak but the thought of taking three flights . . . twenty-two hours . . . I just can't do it. And it makes me so darn mad at my self because I know that flying is so much safer than getting in a car and driving to the local mall.

Advice? Ask your doctor for a mild anti anxiety prescription.

I am the original white knuckle flyer. There is nothing that I can tell myself while onboard a plane that will make me less fearful. So now when I fly I take a Xanax about 1/2 hour before the flight. I have no anxiety at all and enjoy the experience. I have told myself a hundred times that I can fly without the Xanax, I tried it once and I cannot. For me its the only way to fly. :D

I wish I wasn't so nervous it takes away from my joy of the cruise. I think I will definatly have to take something. I fear that my legs won't work when it is time to board the plane. LOL

After just coming back from a Miami port sailing, I'd be more scared of the taxi ride to the port!!! I thought for sure my daughters and I only view of the ship would have been from our hotel window - that taxi ride was scary as s&^%t!!

This will be my 11 yr old son's 1st flight. He's looking forward to it. At least I haven't past my fear on to him. This is so bad that about 15 years ago I turned down a free trip to Australia. Yes, I know---stupid---very stupid.

The funny thing is that my DH is Airport Police at the Baton Rouge Airport. I hear stories all the time about people that throw fits because they can't bring something on board. Or the little old lady that had a gun in her purse and my husband had to arrest her. What a brute!!!!

Archived