cave tubing-what to wear?

racerswife

We wore our swimsuits with waterproof clothing over top. We had brought other clothing to change into but the restrooms were really rustic and we had the lunch there so by the time we were done eating we were mostly dry. We just sat on our towels on the ride back. We also wore either river sandals or watershoes.

Just returned from Norwegian Sea with a Belize stop. We had read so many great things about cave tubing with Reggie that we booked with him.

Reggie's son J was waiting for us exactly as planned. We had a great day.

We wore bathing suits and tennis shoes and left everything else in the van. It was locked up and very safe. Our trip could not have been better and we highly reccommend Reggie and his folks.

Thanks for a fun day!

p.s.

There are many reasons to go with a company not booked thru the ship,

first its cheaper, second, there are fewer people (just the 2 of us) and third, J paddled us all the way thru the caves so we had time to chill out and enjoy, fourth, J stopped for us in Hattieville at a local supermarket and we shopped for stuff like beer, etc. and it was really cheap! Oh lastly, he reccommended a fabulous chinese restaurant in town where we ate for $3.50!! and it was very, very good food!

We just returned a couple weeks ago from a stop in Belize and went cave tubing with Marvin of Wet n Wild. We had an amazing time! About the clothes thing... I guess it will depend on who you book with. We just wore cover-ups over our swimsuits and then after we got back to the van, sat on our towels for the short ride to Amigos where we were having lunch (included) and changed there. The restrooms at the river are "rustic" as the previous poster noted and our guide recommend we wait a couple of minutes until we arrived at the restaurant. The restrooms at Amigos were VERY nice and clean so we changed there and had brought gallon ziploc bags for our wet things. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

You need shoes that are comfortable to walk in, on rocks....more like a teva type sandal....something with a thick non skid sole

There are 2 or 3 bathroom stalls to change in, after you are done. Leave your clothes in the van. Don't bring anything with you, except waterproof camera, and this I would put on a strap around my neck.

One of my friends, kept everyone's passport and money in baggies in her fanny pack around her waist

It's not hard,it's just hectic at times.

Now,we had an unusually bad experience.

The most beautiful excursion Day from Hell!

We used Reggie at first. Before we even left the docks, He accidentally locked his keys in his van, and took off to find another set.

After waiting for an hour, we ended up joining the X-stream group, who took pity on us (and our money).

Almost there and the van started spewing out smoke and we broke down in the last long jungle road, on the way there.

As we waited on the side of the road, we became the "Belize, book your own excursion" sideshow as the huge cattled ship excursion buses, gaped at us, as they passed us by.

Our driver, got under the van, a very old van, sliced and spliced....and we were off again.

When we got there it was very disorganized as far as changing batteries for headlamps, not enough tubes, never knowing where the guide was...who to pay...?

We took off, and followed the crowds. Finally, our group was re-gathered.

Then, I lost my wedding ring in the water.....(mixture of sunscreen while we waited for them to get organized and then getting into the somewhat cold water)

BUT

All in all, it was an awesome tour.

We met up with Reggie later. I won't go into details but he handled the whole thing badly. If it wasn't for the fact that it was unusual circumstances, I wouldn't reccommend him.

BUT,

the other half of the group that did end up with his other guy, said it was a nice informative tour, (this, despite being split up from his family).

I have to say, one of the X-stream guys was awesome and stayed with me and my 8 yr. old the whole time we were in the water. Very attentive!

The whole experience in the caves is awe inspiring and not to be missed....and I would still book privately.

....and my insurance was very good to me....(re: ring)

:)

As long as your kids are adventurous, know how to pay attention to instructions, and aren't nervous.

When I went, no one offerred this tour specifically with kids in mind, so I think it'll be nice to have a tour tailored to meet those needs.

Just remember that you will not enjoy it as much, because you'll be very busy. It's not hard, it's just that some parts are hectic!!!!

I wouldn't have done it any differently, though....but then again my daughter was 8 and was at an age which she could appreciate the experience and will remember it.

I did have family with me, to help carry my daughter's tube.

The hardest part is at the beginning you have to cross a river with a pretty strong current. This was difficult as we didn't know how, (couldn't find our guide??) but we figured out after that we should have gotten in our tubes, wrapped our feet and pulled ourselves along the rope.

When we got into the cave system, we interlocked our feet with the person in front, and I continued to do so throughout the river with my 8 yr. old daughter.

Make sure they have a child size tube, although I'm not sure, maybe he'll sit on your lap.

When I was there I thought my hubby could have brought my 5 year old on his lap.....but he didn't really care about that tour.

Lots of pros and cons.....

Make sure you all have super comfy waterproof sandals to handle the slippery rocky parts.

I really don't know.....I guess, if it means you or hubby or wife would miss the tour, but really wanted to go...DO IT.

If one of you doesn't really care....SKIP IT.

Also I read somewhere on this board of someone who hired an extra experienced guide just for his child.

I'm sure they tailor the tour to accomodate young ones now,so it's probably alot easier. Just ask alot of questions.

Hey there iis so many people doing the cave tubing.I would highly recomend Margaret and Desmond,The price they gave us was decent we all could aford it.We had a delicious lunch after, which was Bar.b.que chicken with garlic bread was realy good.Some people offer fruits.We got a very good lunch.And we enjoy the time we spent with Margaret and Desmond.They took very good care of us.We had a realy great time.Contact them at---mdstourstravel1@yahoo.com.

Terry :p

Archived