Cayo Levantado

vpoopsy

Thanks for the links. Do the vendors bug you all time? I'm assuming this is a public area, so there will be other folks there besides those from the cruise. I've also read it's best to stay at the beach and not "venture out" to other places.

We didn't have anyone bothering us. Cayo Levantado is an island so vendors would have to get there by boat. We stayed around the beach because there didn't seem to be anywhere else to go to. I think there may be a private resort somewhere on the island...there's a helicopter pad.

We didn't eat lunch there. Others booked the excursion which included a barbeque lunch and they said it wasn't very good. I recommend taking snacks along and stick with bottled beer. I forgot it wasn't a private cruise line island and drank a couple of pina coladas in a coconut which were delicious. Unfortunately there was ice in the drinks of course and I didn't feel well for a couple of days afterwards.

I'm glad you said that about "bottled beer". Never would thought about the ice or water making us sick. I may have to bag some goodies from the ship to take or bring some stuff from home that we could snack on.

We're there from 9:30 to 5:00. We may eat an early lunch on the cruise and then go over.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Cayo Levantado last November and the Island is owned by the Gran Bahia Princess resort and allows the cruiseships to use certain areas of their beach. The drinks are safe as the beach bars are for the resort. There is an area past the beach bar where they sell bottled beer and sodas very cheap as well as food. The vendors have several shops on a path that goes to the right of the beach path and although they are aggressive about selling, you can bargain with them and get terrific prices. If you don't wish to bargain, you can pay the asking price which is also reasonable.

Beautiful photos - thank you for posting. We will be visiting on a MSC cruise and look forward to a day relaxing at the beach. Does anyone know how large the island is (can one walk to the rainforest?)

We just got back from Cayo. It was beautiful and nice blue warm water. We had a couple of the coconut drinks and we were fine. We also had lunch with no problems. My daughter got her hair braided and we bought some coffee beans and cigars. We ran out of cash and my daughter wanted a braclet. The vendor ended up just giving her the bracelet for free. They rent snorkeling gear and paddle boats. and kayaks It is a nice quite beach I don't think you would want jet skis making a bunch of noise:p

Cayo is 100% safe. No jet skis and the vendors only bother you as you walk by, but there are a ton there. There is food and drink out there as well. It is owned by Bahia, so it is definately a commercialized island to get your money from you quicker, but it is also a fun place.

Archived