Travel Scooter recomendations

perrycruiser

I been thinking for a long time about buying a portable travel scooter and have decided that I am finally going to do it. I have no experiance with them, so I'm looking for some help on which one would be the best for me based on my abilities. Here's a little about me.

Age is 50. Weight is 240. I always use a cane to walk, but I really have problems if I have to walk very far.

One concern that I have with owning a scooter is not getting as much excercise, but I'm tired of missing out on things just because of my inability to walk very far. So my plan was to mainly use it when I've got something special going on.

Anyone have any ideas for me? How about batteries? Do they hold up with limited usage? How about loading and unloading? Checking on the airlines?

All comments and suggestions are greatly apperciated.

PC :)

If you are not ready to own, you could rent one during your cruise. Several companies will rent you a scooter, and even deliver it to the ship. I have never done it, but others have and they may be able to give you direct contact information.

I have an Easy Travel Deluxe the one with the motor inside the front wheel. I’ve been able to drive it to the planes door and fold it up (takes about 5 seconds) and one of the flight attendants puts it in a closet. The only thing I don’t like about it is it won’t do hills very well and what hills it can do runs the battery down fast. I was able to run all over Rome but I carried a second battery. I ran into a lady on the cruise that had a Travelscoot and I asked how she liked. She said she liked it real well but had trouble with elevators. If anyone else was in it she wasn’t able to turn around and it didn’t have reverse so someone had to push her out. About half way through the cruise she had a problem with the belt and didn’t have a spare. If you get one of those I would get a spare belt. As far as the batteries go they will last longer if you keep them charged.

My husband has a Lexus Light and loves it. It folds up and will fit into the trunk of most cars without taking it apart. It's a little more scooter than some of the other travel ones, but is still pretty light for lifting in and out of cars. He drives the scooter to the gate and folds it up. We do recommend that you detach and take the battery on the plane with you.

It's weight capacity is 270 lbs. Here's a link to the website: http://www.planetmobility.com/store/scooters/planet/lexuslight/index.html

Kate

I have no clue about what you might buy, but I echo the thought that you might to rent one for your next cruise just to see what you think.

There are a gazillion posts elsewhere about carevacations.com. We've used them twice with great success. A major advantage is that you don't have to transport the scooter as it will be delivered to your cabin, and you leave it there when you depart.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for you info on the Lexus Light, my dad just ordered one yesterday, and is waiting for the delivery. He plans to take it on our NCL Dawn to Bermuda cruise. Is there any other tips you can give me on this new scooter, We do lots of air travel, do you bring the battery in the cabin with you and store it in othe overhead? I would like to know the best and fastest way fly with the scooter. Thanks again, I am sure my dad will love it so much.

Jill

• 2 weeks later...

My husband uses this scooter for travel. He prefers his Victory scooter when we are in town.He drives the Lexis Light all the way to the plane. We take the battery off and put it in the tray that is on the scooter and store it in the overhead on the plane.The scooter will fit into the trunk of a taxi. He did fall off of it once in the Cancun airport.He must have gone around a orner to fast. He is used to driving high performance cars.He never uses it at home. He uses his Victory which is a lot stronger. He has to go up a hill when he goes to dialysis 3X a week and feels that he needs the stronger scooter. One good thing about the Lexis Light is that you can take the battery off to charge it. It makes it easier when you are in a hotel or on a ship.

My husband has a spinal cord injury and walks with a cane. He is very slow so we purchased a Pride G0-Go Elite 4-wheel scooter for traveling (www.spinlife.com). Free shipping when you purchase online. It comes apart easily in 4 pieces. He drives it to the door of the plane and then they take it and put it with the luggage. When we land, they bring it back up and off we go. We just got back from a 14-day TA cruise and then spent 5 nights in Paris. This was our first major trip with the scooter and it was a dream to travel with. He was so much more mobile/ independent on the ship, and he was able to "scoot" all over Paris with me, cobblestones and all. He even took a tour to Normandy and was able to go where everyone else did. We got the 15 mile battery and found on this trip that it actually lasts about 4 hours straight. We would recommend the 4-wheel over the 3-wheel. If you have any questions at all, email me at: mlatwood@sbcglobal.com The scooter has made traveling so much more enjoyable for both of us.

Maggie

I'm 59, have M.S. and use a cane. I walk slowly, worry about tripping and get tired after 2 city blocks. About four years ago I bought a Sonic Pride (Sonic is the manufacturer and Pride is the model). It breaks into 4 parts, the heaviest of which is 40 pounds, and I can break it apart and put it in the back of my SUV.

Last October my wife and I took our first cruise, a wonderful trip on Oceania's Regatta which began in Barcelona and wound up, two weeks later, in Venice with stops in France, Monoco, Greece and Croatia. We flew Lufthansa from DC, connecting in Frankfurt in both directions. The I rode the scooter to the gate at IAD, it went into the hold and met me at the gate in Frankfurt where I rode it to the next gate, back into the hold and it came out with our bags in Barcelona, (I used a wheelchair from gate to the baggage claim). This process was basically reversed on the Venice to IAD return. It took a bit of convincing at both ticket counters, even though we'd made advance arrangements with Lufthansa, since the agents didn't seem familiar with scooters, but everything worked out just fine.

On the ship I used the scooter sometimes and other times I walked. (The Regatta is small...only 700 passengers). I brought it into our cabin to recharge at night, which was a little tight but not a real burden. The battery easily lasted all day in Rome, Florence, various cities in France. It's supposed to be good for 10 miles, depending on your weight. (I'm 140 and it'll hold 300).

The scooter went into the baggage compartment of the buses that took us from dock to town, or on tours, without a problem. On a few occasions two crewmembers had to carry it down, or up, the gangplank, but that was never a problem and the crew was always great. I did not try to tender with it, though the crew said they'd carry it onto the tender just as they carried it down the gangplank.

My wife and I loved the Regetta, its crew and its service, though the shore excursion people could have been more knowledgable about which tours were good for someone on a scooter. Overall, though, the crew could not have been more accommodating.

I have a love-hate relationship with this scooter. I hate having to use it but it allows me to do things I could not otherwise do.

I hope you have as much success when you get yours.

Next....Alaska!!

Hi Kate,

Thanks for you info on the Lexus Light, my dad just ordered one yesterday, and is waiting for the delivery. He plans to take it on our NCL Dawn to Bermuda cruise. Is there any other tips you can give me on this new scooter, We do lots of air travel, do you bring the battery in the cabin with you and store it in othe overhead? I would like to know the best and fastest way fly with the scooter. Thanks again, I am sure my dad will love it so much.

Jill

Yes, we carry the battery with us on the plane. It can become detached and fall if it's left on the scooter if it's handled roughly. The battery can be either stored above or under the seat (it actually makes a nice footrest). My husband uses the scooter in the airport and drives it up to the door of the plane. He folds it up, removes the battery and goes to his seat. The scooter is usually by the door when he gets off. He just unfolds it, puts the battery on and off he goes. There are only two pieces to deal with (the battery and the frame), so you don't have to put it together. You can, though, remove the front section if needed.

We just returned from a Med cruise and we were even able to use the scooter in the area we stayed in near the Spanish Steps. Unlike much of Rome, this was a pedestrian-friendly area and my husband could ride the scooter in the streets. The Lexus Light has a lower center of gravity than his previous scooter, so he can navigate uneven surfaces better. Also, because it has four wheels instead of three, it had a bit more stability.

I might also add that he can scoot much faster than I can walk if he wants to. It does get my heart rate going trying to keep up!

Kate

Hi,

My dad actually returned the Lexus Light, it was just too bulky for us, again we do a ton of air travel, we actually went down to pbi from jfk and bought www.travelscoot.com

It is great for travel....small, and can hold up to 320 pounds...

This is not my dad's primary scooter for home, he has a Rally for regular use, but this travelscoot folds into a large duffle bag, and we fold it up at the gate and gate check it with the strollers, and so on.

Hope this help.

If you get in touch with travelscoot, tell him Bill from Queens, NY sent you, we had a grand visit with him.

All the best.

Jill (dc93)--

Have y'all gone on your Bermuda cruise yet? I'm curious if I can use my scooter (Lexus Light, which works great for me) in St. Georges. I don't expect curb cuts on that handicap-unfriendly but you never know.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just returned from my Bermuda cruise on NCL Dawn, great ship, btw....

We had a great time! Kings Wharf was very easy to navigate by scooter to shops and surrounding areas, no need to worry! You can scoot right off, streets are pretty good. My dad did not do the tender to Hamilton, we instead took the ferry over with the travelscoot to Hamilton on our own or the street fair.

I must caution all with travelscoot scooter, my dad fell back on his scooter when going over a hump on the ship, it was not NCL's fault at all. My dad should have gotton up and lifted the very light weight scooter over it. He was shook up, but all okay. It is a great scooter, and I do recommed it, just be very careful, as it is not as secure as his Rally, and Pride scooters.

The taxi's in Bermuda, gladly took our travelscoot right into the car, we didn't even have to fold it up...Everyone was very nice to us in Bermuda and on ship.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Hi Sue,

BTW, My mom and I took the ferry over to St. George's one night too, I don't know if I would say that port is really good for scooters, roads more bumpy over there. Nice shops though!

Thank you so much for the info, we're not going to Bermuda but we are going to the Eastern Caribbean and would love to know if the scooter works in any of the ports. I use a pride gogo elite. We are going to St. Thomas, Kitts, Lucia,Marten, and Barbados.Thanks! Nancie:cool:

Has anyone brought their Travelscoot onto a Holland America cruise? Which port(s) did you embark at? Did you have any trouble at all?

We've been told that HAL will not let us board with a Travelscoot because of the battery. We bought the Travelscoot especially for this cruise and will be extremely disappointed if we can't take it. :( My DH was looking forward to being more independent. Not to mention the cost of the scooter that we may not be able to bring with us! Does anyone have any experience that they can share?

The TravelScooter has an SLA battery. HAL has told us that SLA is not acceptable. I read many posts from people who have taken their TravelScooters on cruises so I can't understand why we are having such a difficult time.

Has anyone taken their TravelScooter on a HAL ship? :(

Archived