Need Advice from Cruisin' Mama's please

loveshack

hi All -

This is not my first carnival cruise (only 2 under my belt........so far!!), but this time we are taking our 6yo and 7yo. My 6yo DS is going on 12, so I'm not so much worried about her, but my 7yo DS is severe ADHD. They once said he was slightly autistic, but have since changed their diagnosis.

He does take medication (lowest dose possible because I hate it), but we honestly do NOT have a choice in order to keep him in school. He is VERY impulsive without it. I think he will have a wonderful time in camp carnival, but I am still very, very nervous. I want him to enjoy it and with his sister with him, I think he will. Please reassure me about how closely they will watch him. I would like to take advantage of the camp carnival activities and a night or two of the baby sitting, but I am so, so nervous.

Please give me your thoughts.

THANKS!!

My GD also has this. She takes Adderall and is doing just wonderful. She must also take Risperdal to maintain her weight. She is quite thin because she is so active. This will be our 2nd cruise with her and we are looking forward to all the fun. She did just great last time. The counselors need to be aware of the situation but will care for the kids very well. This cruise she will have a friend along so I am hoping she will do more of the camp activities than last time. She didn't do much last time but spent her time with mom as her brother had a friend along. Kick back and enjoy. You will have a great time!

Shankiko

Shankiko - thank you so much!! I just worry. I will definitely inform the staff. We have quite a while before we cruise and the kiddo's ask me everyday if it's time to "get on the big boat" - I keep telling them, it's a SHIP! LOL:)

The Camp counselors are FABULOUS! No doubt! I can't say enough about them. My 3 year old is an ADD diagnosis waiting to happen..lol....and I know that the best cruise camp she has ever been in was on Carnival.

Their counselors are so engaging. And REALLY seem to love their jobs. Which isn't always true on some ships. ;)

I had no problem with them at all. I wish you the best!

The Camp counselors are FABULOUS! No doubt! I can't say enough about them. My 3 year old is an ADD diagnosis waiting to happen..lol....and I know that the best cruise camp she has ever been in was on Carnival.

Their counselors are so engaging. And REALLY seem to love their jobs. Which isn't always true on some ships. ;)

I had no problem with them at all. I wish you the best!

LOL- I KNOW what you mean. Thank you - I feel better already! We are going to have fun - I demand it!!! :D :D

My kids are 18 months apart and I worried that they would not be happy if they were divided into separate groups due to their ages. They WERE in separate groups, but as it turned out, had a great time and saw each other frequently. Those Carnival kids camp staffers are the best, and very trained and used to kids with all kinds of issues, from separation anxiety to ADHD. They will contact you if necessary, but give it a shot. My kids have always had a great time cruising and they have been on four cruises, now ages 9 and 7.

Archived