NCL Sun soot problems on balcony - how bad is it??

orchid72

Hi,

I've been reading some posts here about passengers experiencing bad soot problems on their Aft balconies (I've seen pictures and they look BAD).

I am now wondering if this is a problem for the midships balcony rooms as well.

It would be a shame if it is because we have just paid for a balcony room (was originally booked in an OV) on the Sun for our May 11 sailing to Alaska. :( Our cabin is on the port side, midship, but is toward the aft (hope that makes sense).

Thanks for your input!

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. We stayed in the aft 8th deck in the past on the same ship (the sun) and didn't have ANY soot. On our most recent cruise *April 2008 we used our midship balcony (this is the same sailing as the lady with the unfortunate soot issue) without a sign of soot. I think one of the ladies said the soot was only one episode on only one day, but that the stewards were slow and not thorough in cleaning it up. Annoying, but I wouldn't let it spoil my enjoyment of the balcony. You'll love it!

Be sure to have the Creme Brulee in Le Bistro for dessert.. and always ALWAYS get a capuccino with your dessert in all the dining rooms. I felt so pampered.

Have a wonderful trip!!

I was on the Sun in February and I didn't notice any soot. I was in a BA on Deck 10 Forward. Watch out early in the morning when they are cleaning the decks above....I did get sprayed bright and early one morning!!! :eek: Boy did I wake up quick:D !!!

i would think the soot comes from the smoke stack which will be behind the midships balconies. we only had salt build up on the railing on the balcony, that the steward never cleaned. just make sure to wipe it off so it doesn't leave a mark on your clothes if you are going to lean on it.

Never had problem with soot on our Sun Oct. cruise. We where in Penthouse 0065 (that's on deck 10) We had a little one day, but the wind was strong. Our room steward wiped things down on the balcony everyday. I really think it depends on the wind direction.

I don't think you will have any problems with soot. Have a wonderful Alaska cruise--hope you love it as much as we did.

Retiredonthesea

We had an aft cabin on the Sun last week and had a day of soot that was nasty. The rest of the time it was just fine. It's all in the wind , and usually the soot doesn't fall quickly enough to get on the balconies. Rain can cause it to fall faster, and it rained one night, causing our problem. A previous poster is correct, in that most of the problem we had on deck 8 aft was in getting someone to clean the balcony. The midship balconies are much more 'protected' than the aft balconies, so you should be just fine. Run your hands along the railing to see if it has either soot or salt. Use a dry beack towel to cover your chairs if you get a dirty hand. The degree of soot problem that we had at the back last week was unusual. You'll love your balcony, and we'd take another aft balcony in a heartbeat, even with the potential of soot.

I was on the Sun in February and I didn't notice any soot. I was in a BA on Deck 10 Forward. Watch out early in the morning when they are cleaning the decks above....I did get sprayed bright and early one morning!!! :eek: Boy did I wake up quick:D !!!

Funny you mentioned this. I got a little bit of "spray" from cleaning top deck in the past too. Darn them for cleaning! LOL! :D

Archived