Four Year Old In Pullman?

Gobigal

We are taking our first-ever cruise on the Nickelodeon Cruise this summer (on RC Freedom). Money is definitely an issue- and we booked an interior 4 cabin. Can I safely put my four-year old in a pullman bed? I sure would like to actually sleep with my husband in the two twins smashed together...

Did it with my 4 year old daughter. I was terrified: she thought it was great.

She's a roller but the side bars were sufficient to keep her in place.

If she fell out of the bed, our beds were just underneath her and she'd have daddy's big belly to land on.

It depends on the child. Our son began sleeping in the drop down bunk at age 4. However, he doesn't move around a lot when he sleeps, so we felt pretty good about it. Does he fall out of bed at home? If not, I'm sure he'd be fine in the bunk.

My daughter has been in the drop down bunks since she started cruising (at age 5) and has never had a problem.

I won't but that's just me. My kids both sleep with rails. So I can't risk them sleeping with a smaller rail and be up in the air.

The one time we had pullmans, I slept up there...lol

So you are going on the Nick cruise. You will HAVE to come back and let us know how it goes. My oldest wanted to go on it but my eyes just about popped out of my head when I saw the prices (it's was about twice the cost of a normal Freedom cruise)

Let me know if you get slimed. ;) :D

Well, my DS slept in the pullman last summer when he was not quite (1 month shy) 3. I brought a bed rail with me to supplement the one built in and put pillows on the floor under him. However, there were never even any close calls. One thing to keep in mind is that it would be even harder for a smaller child to roll over the built in rail than it would be for a larger child or adult, since the rail is taller compared to them. I did have very strict rules of no playing on the ladder and no climbing the ladder without an adult right there.

My kids both move around a lot and both of them have slept on the pullman with rails with no problem. They don't have rails on their twin beds at hom and they never fall out, but they do move a lot.

We don't leave the ladders up at night and the kids know this. They haven't woken up in the middle of the night, but I was initially worried they'd try to get down and fall climbing down in the dark.

Thanks for the info and the photos- I am feeling better. He sleeps like a rock so I think we will give it a try- and we will likely be under him just in case.

Everyone keeps saying how expensive the Nick Cruise is- When I look at the Royal Caribbean website for the same itinerary at the same time of year it is around $900 a person - we paid $3995 for 4 people so it's more, but not double the price... All you experienced cruisers probably know how to find deals that I can't find. I was considering this to be roughly the same as a Disney cruise, characterwise- when I looked at taking a Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles on Disney it would have cost us more to do Disney DRIVING to the port- than it would for us to FLY to Miami and take the Nick cruise!

I will definitely let you know how it goes- if we like cruising we'll have to try to find better deals...

The prepaid gratuities do kind of annoy me and seem pricey... but that is WAY off topic...

Here ya go!

2669814780061183369S425x425Q85.jpg

Love the picture!! I'm assuming that's your child:)

Hmmmm.....it looks like they could roll right thru that if they're small enough. I wonder if you could shove some pillows in there to keep them from rolling under the bar or would the pillows just pop out?

Thanks for the info and the photos- I am feeling better. He sleeps like a rock so I think we will give it a try- and we will likely be under him just in case.

Everyone keeps saying how expensive the Nick Cruise is- When I look at the Royal Caribbean website for the same itinerary at the same time of year it is around $900 a person - we paid $3995 for 4 people so it's more, but not double the price... All you experienced cruisers probably know how to find deals that I can't find. I was considering this to be roughly the same as a Disney cruise, characterwise- when I looked at taking a Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles on Disney it would have cost us more to do Disney DRIVING to the port- than it would for us to FLY to Miami and take the Nick cruise!

I will definitely let you know how it goes- if we like cruising we'll have to try to find better deals...

The prepaid gratuities do kind of annoy me and seem pricey... but that is WAY off topic...

Hey it's YOUR thread, you can be as off topic as you wanna be...lol.

Ok, here's why that's expensive. The VERY next FOS Western sailing is this price for a fam of 4...

INSIDE -

*$859.00 USD (1st/2nd) $499.00 USD (3rd/4th) TOTAL *$2,716.00 USD

So you paid $1,300 more for the slime. :eek: ;)

And for the next Western sailing you could be in a D1 Deluxe BALCONY for *$3,596.00 USD for the 4 of you. Still less than what you paid for an inside.

That's ok, the kids will have fun. :D

Love the picture!! I'm assuming that's your child:)

Hmmmm.....it looks like they could roll right thru that if they're small enough. I wonder if you could shove some pillows in there to keep them from rolling under the bar or would the pillows just pop out?

When our kids were younger, we "borrowed" some trays from the buffet and wedged them between the rail so they couldn't slip through the rail. The next night, our steward put the trays back in, plus some extra. In the end it, it didn't seem to matter since the kids were tucked in every night and never seemed to move anyways.

When our kids were younger, we "borrowed" some trays from the buffet and wedged them between the rail so they couldn't slip through the rail. The next night, our steward put the trays back in, plus some extra. In the end it, it didn't seem to matter since the kids were tucked in every night and never seemed to move anyways.

That's a great idea! My 4 yr old moves around a lot. When I check on her at night I sometimes find her completely turned around w/feet on her pillow, or she's sideways, or she's right up against her bed rail and would probably fall out if that wasn't there. I'll have to make sure to tuck the sheets in really tight!

Next time I am going to definitely not impulsively book a cruise- I will do more research and find the deals for additional people in a room... Being a teacher I am stuck traveling in summer which is always more expensive it seems...

Archived