Beginner's Scuba Diving at Anthony's Key (Roatan)

staylor

Has anyone done this excursion yet? The shore tours list indicates that the cost is in the $$$ category. I was wondering how much it actually is and is it worth it. Were there many fish?

I know, wrong board, but the Port of Call Boards are dead.;)

Thanks!

We spent a week diving in Roatan, and by far, it was some of the best diving we have ever done in the Caribbean. With that said, unless you are fully scuba certified, you won't be able to dive at a decent site and fully enjoy the diving Roatan has to offer. Why don't you get certified at home before your cruise? Those "discover" scuba programs always take you to very conservative shallow reefs (in about 20 feet of water if you are lucky) and spend most of the time on shore with instruction. Not to mention, they are pretty pricey.

AKR is a premier dive operation on the island, so I'm sure you won't be too disappointed with their staff. Among diving circles, diving in Roatan is one of the "must see" places - please get certified!! You'll regret if you wait to do so when you get home!

The truth?.......I have heard that you have to be able to clear all of the water out of your mask while underwater. I have tried in my pool and can't do it. I am afraid I will pay $300 for the course and not pass.:(

If you are not comfortable clearing the water out of your mask, what makes you think you will be okay to do a "discover scuba" dive in 20 feet of water?

First off, I don't know where you live, but most dive operators charge around $150 for dive certification...$300 does not sound right to me, unless you are talking about private, one on one instruction.

Scuba certification courses allow for practicing ALL your skills over and over and most have a money back guarantee, so that if you freak out within a certain amount of time, you can get your money back. Instructors realize people come to class with a lot of preconceived notions and fears. That's why most people I know sit in on a certification course (at the pool) to observe what they do. That gives them time to think about it and decide if they want to take the plunge.

Second, just because right now you are unable to clear your mask does not mean that with proper training you won't be able to do so. I wear contact lenses and that was a major concern for me. Once I got through the class and realized I could close my eyes to do so, it was no problem at all. But I know diving isn't for everyone. This is my personal opinion, but if you are unable to clear your mask, you have no business diving. Period. In ALL "discover scuba" classes, that will be one skill introduced to you. The reason for clearing your mask is to insure you are capable of handling an emergency situation underwater, in the event your mask floods; that is no time to panic, as you endanger yourself and others. You'll also want to possibly de-fog your mask underwater and to do so, you'll have to flood it.

Again, I am expressing my own opinion on this, but only people who are comfortable underwater should go through dive certification or try an introductory course. I would recommend you at least visit a dive shop in your area and observe a pool session - one that possibly includes clearing your mask.

Those intro to scuba programs offered to tourists can give you a good idea of what to expect while diving, but you won't have fun unless you can at least do the minimum which includes a few safety skills, including clearing your ears, clearing your mask, hand signals and breathing underwater. You have to feel comfortable under the water, as panic can kill you even in 10 feet of water!

I agree with most but not quite all of the above. As far as the worry about clearing your mask, you will need to do it because there is a pretty good chance that your mask will get some water in it. However, even when doing the discover scuba (resort course) dives, you practice that in shallow water or a pool prior to going on the dive. It really is not that difficult at all once you realize that vision and breathing don't have anything to do with each other! The only point I really disagree with is the idea that you can only do a 20ft dive in an unscenic area if you are uncertified. That may be true with some dive shops but other shops will still take you to beautiful reefs a bit deeper than 20'. I do agree of course with the idea that you do get to go to much better dive sites once you are certified. When my wife and I dove Roatan with Subway Waterports. We were the only ones on the dive boat. I had an instructor with me ( I was doing 2 of my certification dives), my wife was doing a resort course and she had an instructor with her. We went to a beautiful reef and did 2 tanks. My wife had done the resort course a few times before and was able to display that she was confident with the skills needed. They let her go down about 40ish or so feet with her own dm. As I mentioned, the reef was fantastic even though I am sure it isn't one of the 'prime' dive sites in Roatan. I can understand not wanting to spend the few hundred dollars getting certified before you go. Some people just don't do well diving and spend alot of money on the classes as well as the required gear. ( most shops make you buy at least a mask, fins, snorkle and maybe weight belts). Some shops offer a free or very low cost intro type of pool session. This will not of course get you certified but you will at least know if clearing your mask or breathing out of a regulator is too much of a hurdle to overcome. check with your shop and see if you can find that so when you do go to Roatan you can have a bit of confidence!

My only option here is the YMCA and it is $275. There are no dive shops in West Virginia...that I know of.

The excursion details state "dive in shallow water and to a depth of no more than 40 feet". Maybe they take you down as deep as they think you can handle?

I think I would like to try a beginner's course just to see if I like it. We did the Snuba in Grand Cayman. I loved it! I didn't get water in my mask, though. Maybe I am "over worrying" about this part. A few times I felt the need to go to the surface, a slight panic feeling. But I want to do it!

I see the pictures on CC and webshots that the divers have taken and they are so beautiful. I want to be able to explore the ocean in that way.

Thanks for the info and the helpful suggestions. Hopefully I'll see you 40 ft. under someday!:)

Archived