Miami Taxis

We'll be going on a cruise in January out of the Miami port, and we can't decide if we want to do the Airport Pickup through RCI or just take a cab. I like the idea of RCI picking us up, but it's becoming a big pain to even sign up for it (they require that your flight arrives the day the ship leaves, and leaves the day the ship comes back, and it's a pain finding a flight doing that with perfect timing....), so we're increasingly thinking about taking a cab. But...we don't have taxis where we live, so we know absolutely nothing about them. Any help is appreciated, especially if you know about Miami cabs in particular.

1) Google says it is about 10 miles and 20 minutes away from the airport (our hotel will probably be close to the airport - we'll try to get one closer to the port). How far ahead of time should we call a cab? An hour before we want to arrive? Earlier / later?

2) About how much would that cost (again, we don't have taxis here, so we have no idea about this stuff :D...I've ridden in one maybe 3 times in my entire life)?

3) Would coming back pose a problem? Are there plenty of taxis around the port, or is it in the middle of nowhere (it doesn't look like it is)?

4) Did I get the right place in my Google Maps earlier, or am I way off?

Taxis are extremely plentiful. See if you can get the Holiday Inn Port of Miami which is right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which has a ton of shops and restaurants. The taxi the next am would be about 10$.

If you end up near the airport. Call the front desk of the hotel about 20 minutes before you want to go and they will call a taxi for you. From the airport to the port is a 26$ fixed rate taxi ride and that is per taxi plus a tip

On the way back there will be plenty of taxis lined up, no problems.

The hotel you are staying at will likely be able to call for a taxi for you and some hotels even offer shuttle service to the port (some free, others charge). Taking a taxi or using a hotel shuttle will be more convenient than the transfers that RCI offers, esp since it seems you are planning to stay at a hotel the day prior. The transfers that RCI offers are on full size busses and you wait until the bus is full before departing the airport or the port - sometimes you can wait quite a while. There are plenty of taxis at the port after the sailing and the prices are regulated by the city. I'm sure someone can post a recent fare estimate for you but I haven't done it in a while and with the rising cost of fuel my guess would likely be wrong! You might even be able to google "Miami taxi" to find current info. Good luck!

Taxis are extremely plentiful. See if you can get the Holiday Inn Port of Miami which is right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which has a ton of shops and restaurants. The taxi the next am would be about 10$.

If you end up near the airport. Call the front desk of the hotel about 20 minutes before you want to go and they will call a taxi for you. From the airport to the port is a 26$ fixed rate taxi ride and that is per taxi plus a tip

On the way back there will be plenty of taxis lined up, no problems.

That's awesome - thanks a lot for the information. My dad travels a lot for business, so we're stealing his points for a free hotel (Christmas gift :D), so we're somewhat limited where we stay, but I think it'll be close to the airport. I love the idea of a fixed rate taxi ride....predictable fares = :)

I'd do a cab over the RCI bus any day ... I'm not used to taxis, either. They are plentiful at the port ... no problems there. No matter which hotel you stay in, just talk to the front desk. They probably have quite a few cruisers leaving from there each week, so they can probably either call you a cab or find some other option for you.

Archived