Star - question about alternative dining

KimmyinLA

Hello!

We are excited about our first cruise with NCL.

I have been reading about some of the alternative dining and discounts such as 2-for-1 being offered. Is this a secret or do they let you know? Does it apply for certain times (such as off-peak)? If someone could explain, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, we are in a BA cabin. Does that allow give us any sort of priority booking? We depart on May 31... seems like we won't be experiencing 2.0 and the NCL website is a bit confusing to me.

Thank you!

I don't know anything about BA cabins but the 2 for 1 is not offered on every cruise so you will have to wait and see when you get on board. If it is offered, it could be for late reservations or early reservations (but not both, that I have ever heard.) It will not be a secret. Look through your Freestyle Daily carefully. If it is available, they will have it advertised.

The Star is a good ship. Have a great time.

Just got off the Star last week and there were no dining discounts during our cruise. On some of our other cruises we had seen the discounts advertised for very early or very late dining times. I think it just depends on the passenger load, etc.

We were in a BA cabin and there were no priority bookings for that category. We only ate in the main dining rooms each night, and never had to wait for a table. We were always seated immediately. But, we do tend to dine late. We usually go to the early (7:30) show and then hit the dining room for dinner.

Have fun!!

If and when a "two for 1" special is offered for some of the specialty dining venues, it is not a secret. After all, the reason they offer it is to promote sales, not as a discount for "special" passengers.

Every evening your cabin steward will place some reading material in your cabin; the main document will be the Freestyle Daily which outlines the activities/schedules for the following day. It will also contain some promotional information (otherwise known as advertising) for the gift shop, spa, jewellry shop, excursions, etc. So, keep your eyes open for any information about 2 for 1 dining options.

If the management on a particular cruise believes that speciality restaurants need a boost in sales, they offer the 2 for 1 promotion. As other have noted, sometimes these promotions occur either during the early periods (5:30-6:30 or so) or later (after 9:00 pm or thereabouts). And they may not appear at all. It varies from one cruise to the next. It all comes down to a business decision by the management.

Finally, my general observations from reading many posts on this web site is that the 2 for 1 promotions typically do not apply to Teppanyaki or the Sushi bar restaurants.

Coincidentally, I will be on the same cruise to Alaska on 5/31. Hard to say if 2.0 will be in place because NCL has used June 1 as the target date for 2.0 on all ships. It would seem strange to start 2.0 mid-cruise. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hello!

We are excited about our first cruise with NCL.

I have been reading about some of the alternative dining and discounts such as 2-for-1 being offered. Is this a secret or do they let you know? Does it apply for certain times (such as off-peak)? If someone could explain, it would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, we are in a BA cabin. Does that allow give us any sort of priority booking? We depart on May 31... seems like we won't be experiencing 2.0 and the NCL website is a bit confusing to me.

Thank you!

Same here! Been on cruises with NCL were there has been no discounts and been on others were it's been 1st night only and also have seen 2 for 1 or early and late seatings. Don't know how they decide I just go with the flow

and with what works for us.

If the ship isd full and it usually is for Alaska trips, there will be no 2 for 1. So far on the last 5-6 NCL cruises there haven't been any 2 fer's. Oh well it's worth the price for the specialty restuarants anyway. We always do Cagneys'.:)

On the Star 3/31 cruise, the specialty restaurants offered two for one after 9pm in all restaurants. This was noted on the back side of the specialty restaurant menus 'flyers' - I did not see it in the Freestyle Daily.

Two years ago on our Alaska Star cruise, the 2 for 1 was early, like 5:30 - 6:30 on days when we were in port (if I remember correctly). HTH.

You might go to the reservation desk (in Endless Summer) when you get there and ask them about the specials for your week.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

After reading several reviews, I think we'll definitely be trying out a few of the restaurants.

Also, cpdad, not sure where you got the June 1 date for 2.0 but on the NCL website, it says all the ships will be "up to speed by June 15."

I'm hoping our cruise will be converted because it's a nicer to think that we'll be one of the first ones to be sleeping on the new sheets vs one of the last ones sleeping on the old sheets:)

Archived