booking cruise tours months before

ondeckatsea

I'm thinking of booking some tours prior to boarding the ship, about 4 months early. Do any of you know when the charges are applied? Is it when I book or when I finally get on board. It amounts to over $800. I use the RCI Visa card so get some double credits which can also amount to a nice onboard cabin credit.

Unless it is a particularly popular or "different" excursion, you really don't need to book so early. You could wait until a month before IF you want to pre order. Most pax order once aboard. Some cruiselines let you cancel within 48 hours or so of the excursion in case you don't want to go once on board. But you'd have to check on your specific ship.

If it's a really popular tour or activity, the ship will have several times available. You might not get the time you want, but most likely will get the tour if you sign up on the first day you get the chance to book or fill out your order form on board.

I like to book as soon as the excursions become available, that way I know they are paid for well before we even leave for the trip. Don't have to worry about that extra amount being added to the cruise cost all at once.

I've even booked transfers and tours at Viator for our Med cruise in Oct '08 already, in U.S. dollars and will have the cc paid off before we travel. One task out of the way.

we are booked on princess for alaska, i booked our excursions already and they will not charge us until we get onboard,

i think it differs between each cruiseline,

i know celebrity they charged us right away, but princess they charge it to your onboard account..

i would call the cruiseline you are going on to confirm

and i would book them as soon as they are available,

I'm thinking of booking some tours prior to boarding the ship, about 4 months early. Do any of you know when the charges are applied? Is it when I book or when I finally get on board. It amounts to over $800. I use the RCI Visa card so get some double credits which can also amount to a nice onboard cabin credit.

Find out the cancellation policy before you pre pay. Things may change once you are on board and you may or may not want to go on a particular excursion when the day comes. Sometimes, just a leisurely stroll and a day at the pool is needed if you are on a port intensive intineray.

Why don't you ask at booking about cancellation fee.

I know that even on my private tours all the companies I'm using have no charge for cancellations a week before ( this is Europe / Private tours ).

The OP talked about using their RCI credit card for double points, so I am assuming they are sailing on RCI. RCI's cancellation policy lets you cancel up to 24 hours before the excursion with no fees. As others have said, different cruise lines may have different cancellation policies.

Archived