Carnival Changing Their Dress Code

Yvonne

I just read (here on Cruise Critic - on the front page) that Carnival is changing their dress code this spring. They will allow jeans, long dress shorts and men will not be "required" to wear jackets on "formal" nights. It is still "suggested" but not a requirement, just dress pants and shirt.

I'm thrilled with the change. I'm really getting tired of lugging the garment bag along with formal clothes, and now that the airlines are charging extra for that second bag it's even better!!

I wonder how long it will be before other lines change their dress codes too.

And the fashion snobs are really going to get their knickers in a twist over this one!! I can hear them complaining, loudly, already...

I just read (here on Cruise Critic - on the front page) that Carnival is changing their dress code this spring. They will allow jeans, long dress shorts and men will not be "required" to wear jackets on "formal" nights. It is still "suggested" but not a requirement, just dress pants and shirt.

I'm thrilled with the change. I'm really getting tired of lugging the garment bag along with formal clothes, and now that the airlines are charging extra for that second bag it's even better!!

And the fashion snobs are really going to get their knickers in a twist over this one!! I can hear them complaining, loudly, already...

I think I would have to require my husband to dress up on formal nights. I know I want to dress up because I am a stay at home mom and never get the chance to dress up. so it is worth it to me to take the formal dresses and dress on formal nights.

But then again, my formal dresses are my sunday best.

I think this change is good..especially for the kiddos that would rather be wearing jeans to dinner...

I will still be wearing my capris....since those are soo comfortable to me and since its hot, but if it was a cruise to Alaska, then this change would be great to be able to wear jeans.

What took you so long? We've been talking about this for more than a month already.

But, no, they will not allow jeans on formal nights.

I dont know about that, most Maitre 'd's "allow" jeans on Formal night and have for years.:p I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room for wearing jeans on any night (shorts are another matter).

If you meant to say that the official Carnival policy for Elegant Night says jeans are not permitted, then you are correct :)

I'm hoping that the new relaxed rules will also give the Maitre 'd's a backbone to actually enforce the requirements that Carnival has laid out.:rolleyes:

We dress casual all of the time. It is kind of fun to get dressed up for once. Our teens enjoyed dressing up too. Just a pair of khakis, tie and a jacket and the boy looked like a whole new kid!! I haven't seen him look that nice in a loooooong time. :cool:

The change of jeans, etc is for non-formal nights. Formal nights from CCL

has not changed. You still need to carry the garment bag with the formal

clothes for formal night.

What took you so long? We've been talking about this for more than a month already.

Well, excuse me. :rolleyes: You didn't have to open the thread if you've already been discussing it for more than a month already.

And I just saw it TODAY on the Cruise Critic's front page.

I think it's silly to go to a formal dining room and wear jeans. When you consider the formal atmosphere, it just isn't appropriate. You may not care what others think of you, but just realize the fact that most people will (understandably IMO) think a little bit less of you for wearing jeans.

Think about it...here you are in an elegant environment with a four course meal, and you're wearing jeans. It just kind of ruins it for the people around you who want a "formal" experience, especially those that are sitting at your table. I am far from being rich, but one of the beautiful things about cruises is that you get to act and be treated like you're rich for the short time that you're on the ship. If I'm sitting at a table with a guy in a island-style untucked shirt with blue jeans, then it takes away from the whole fantasy that I'm trying to experience while on my vacation.

Maybe I'm just weird.

The change of jeans, etc is for non-formal nights. Formal nights from CCL

has not changed. You still need to carry the garment bag with the formal

clothes for formal night.

No, the only reason we carried the garment bag was for DH's suit. Since jackets are not required any longer, I can pack a pair of dress pants and a couple shirts in the regular luggage.

This was posted awhile back, but yes as always if someone wants to wear jeans they can and will not be turned away. Or if they want to dress up they will not be turned away. It's all in how someone feels about it.

Back when I started cruising, cruises used to be more upscale than they are now and not just anybody could afford to take them. Now anybody and everybody takes them instead of going to Six Flags so the rules have to be more lax.

It's all good!

That reminds me, onboard Paradise the Maitre'D made his announcement for the next nights Formal night, he stated that no Sleeveless shirt or shorts will be allowed into the dining room and that it was going to be strictly enforced, for those that wanted to dress like that there is Lido for that.

Fred

I think it's silly to go to a formal dining room and wear jeans. When you consider the formal atmosphere, it just isn't appropriate. You may not care what others think of you, but just realize the fact that most people will (understandably IMO) think a little bit less of you for wearing jeans.

Think about it...here you are in an elegant environment with a four course meal, and you're wearing jeans. It just kind of ruins it for the people around you who want a "formal" experience, especially those that are sitting at your table. I am far from being rich, but one of the beautiful things about cruises is that you get to act and be treated like you're rich for the short time that you're on the ship. If I'm sitting at a table with a guy in a island-style untucked shirt with blue jeans, then it takes away from the whole fantasy that I'm trying to experience while on my vacation.

Maybe I'm just weird.

No, I wouldn't call you weird, but I would say you put too much concern on what other people are wearing. While I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room on formal night, I might wear them on regular nights. I couldn't care less what strangers, people I will never see again in my life, think if I do. And if a person chooses to wear an island style shirt with jeans to dinner it will only "ruin your experience" if you allow it to.

Myself, I couldn't care less what other people wear to dinner. I'm not their mom. It's not my business to tell them how to dress. I care more about how a person acts and treats others than if they're wearing formal clothes or jeans to dinner on a cruise ship.

This is fantastic. Now I'll only have to pack 2 dress shirts and a pair of khakis instead of 2 dress shirts, 2-3 pairs of khakis, a suit, 2 ties, dress shoes and socks, a dress belt...

Saves so much packing time and room in the suitcase.

I am not sure why people have such a problem wearing formal attire on formal "elegant" nights?! I would not go to a posh restaurant wearing jeans just as I would not wear a tuxedo to McDonald's...If you do not want to involve yourself with the formal "hassle" and environment there are always casual dinning options.

I wear business attire everyday of my life and still look forward to dressing up for dinner. There is a huge difference between wearing a suit for clients and wearing formal attire for dinner. Maybe I buy into the idea and ambiance of formal night too much, but I AM on vacation to escape...

No, I wouldn't call you weird, but I would say you put too much concern on what other people are wearing. While I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room on formal night, I might wear them on regular nights...

So if you don't care what people think why wouldn't you wear jeans on formal night? Hell why get dressed at all? I might walk around in my bathrobe that Carnival provides the entire time...Just imagine how much packing I will avoid:rolleyes:

No, I wouldn't call you weird, but I would say you put too much concern on what other people are wearing. While I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room on formal night, I might wear them on regular nights. I couldn't care less what strangers, people I will never see again in my life, think if I do. And if a person chooses to wear an island style shirt with jeans to dinner it will only "ruin your experience" if you allow it to.

Jeans have been allowed on casual nights. The new change on casual nights is now you are allowed to wear shorts....

So if you don't care what people think why wouldn't you wear jeans on formal night? Hell why get dressed at all? I might walk around in my bathrobe that Carnival provides the entire time...Just imagine how much packing I will avoid:rolleyes:

I don't care what people think, but I do enjoy dressing up a bit on formal nights. But I DON'T care if other people don't want to. You go right ahead and walk around in your bathrobe, we saw that happen on our Glory cruise in January. She got some weird looks from people, but it didn't bother us in the slightest. You're on VACATION, don't concern yourself so much about what others are wearing, or doing. Geez.

Speaking for myself only, I love formal nights. I love the way my SO looks in his tuxedo & he clearly feels a little more special on the evenings he's wearing it. Almost shyly he'll ask me "how do I look?"...it's really special for us both. I wear business suits 5 days a week, hang around in jeans & tees most weekends, and my SO works from home so he never dresses up. Wearing formal attire allows us to sparkle a little more...to trip the life fantastic. Before ya' know it, the cruise is over & it's back to the same old same old.

It doesn't offend me necessarily if others choose to dress down, but I'll never understand why. Generally speaking, it's not as if anyone is wearing formal clothes on an everyday basis & needs a break from it. Unless perhaps they play with a philharmonic orchestra or are a Maitre'D, lol. Just in my humble opinion.

Archived