Helsinki Pier Transportation

nonrev1

I just looked at the Port of Helsinki site and looked at the map - and see that the Constellation (May 23) will be at the West Terminal: Hernesaari Berth C/ LHC. The map shows that this is across the water from a passenger terminal and it does not look like there is an easy way to make it across to the west terminal. Does anyone know that quay and if so - how far is it from the passenger terminal and bus transportation. We would like to take the #15 bus and transfer to the 3T tram.

Thank you for any help or information that you can provide.

West Harbour consists of the Jätkäsaari quay etc. on the western side of the bay and Munkkisaari quay on the eastern side .

The Jätkäsaari quay and its terminal is used mostly for ferries to Estonia and is served by bus #15/15A.

The Munkkisaari quay (LHB and LHC) is the one used by cruise ships and it is served by buses #14B and #16. So you shall not try to reach the passenger terminal but instead go eastwards to Hernesaarenranta where you'll find bus stops for #14B and #16. They too will connect to tram 3T.

I have noticed that Rick Stevens totally ignores the cruise ship quay and only have the Estonia terminal on the "wrong side" of the bay on the map in the book.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/content/pdf/julkaisut/handbook_kartat08/Kartta_lansi_hb08.pdf?from=115758125420694

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?&adv=&maploc=&mapline=101%3A1%3A1016++%3A20070101%3A&keya=Hernesaarenranta&line=&a=10918&aa=&an=13&mapstyle=&nk=1&map=&px=2551254&py=6672236&ppx=2551254&ppy=6670986&zx=2551254&zy=6672236&ss=&se=&click=2&hlterm=&hlloc=&p=2&print=&zoom=8&x=450&y=200&width=600&height=400&nc=1

Where is the best place to then connect with the 3T tram if we take Bus 16 from LHC?

There are four possible stops, Iso Roobertinkatu, Erottaja, Kauppatori and Senaatintori. You can find them by clicking on the magnifying glass next to the names on the list of stops under the map:

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?keya=Hernesaarenranta&a=10918&an=13&sline%5B%5D=101%3A1%3A1016++%3A20070101%3A&sloc%5B%5D=&keya=Hernesaarenranta&line=&showline=Show+route&px=2552661&py=6673174&ppx=2551254&ppy=6670986&zx=2552661&zy=6673174&type=&zoom=16&width=600&height=400&adv=&click=2&cs=&nc=0&nk=1&fcmap=&mapstyle=0

"Iso Roobertinkatu" is the first one and 3T stop is just across the street. But if you plan to make the whole "8" loop and then step off the place is not the best to continue from. At "Erottaja" and "Senaatintori" you have to walk a block to the tram. I think "Kauppatori" at the eastern end of the Esplanade Park might be the best one. Its easy to locate, close to the tram stop and also close to the tourist office, farmers market, ferry to the castle and the cathedral so it will leave all your options open.

HI... I have found that there is little information on Helsinki. I will be arriving on Celebrity's Century and was wondering what is the best way to get into down town... where the Esplanade is? Is it a long walk? Is there even any way to walk? Would it be best to just take a taxi into the town center?

Thank you so much!

There use to be shuttles for almost all bigger cruise ships taking passengers from the ship to the western end of the Esplande park (Swedish Theatre).

Regarding walking. Once outside the harbour area its about one and a quarter mile walk to the Esplande . Its through late 19 century-early 20 century residential area, "Art Nouveau" (Jugendstil) style buildings mixed with newers ones, small shops, parks, a few churches exc. So apart from the lenght, the route is no problem in itself.

The problem here is that Century as I understand it will be at Hernesaari Berth LHC. There are two bearths there, LHB and LHC.

A ship docking at LHB will stop with the stem towards city while a ship docking at LHC will stop behind the ship docking at LHB and thus further away from the city. So in your case I should advice against walking as it would mean some 2/3 mile walk on a boring harbour area past LHB quay just to exit the harbour area plus the other 1 1/4 miles to the esplanade.

So I recommend Ho-Ho bus, shuttle bus, local bus #16 (6 Euro for a one day tourist ticket) or taxi.

Archived