Maiden name vs Married name

Frohoss

My wife and I are planning on using our Birth Certificates rather than getting Passports. (just to save a couple hundred dollars)

Obviously her BC will have her maiden name on it rather than her married name (which would be on her drivers license) Has anyone had an issue with this? Do you have to show ID/Proof of citizenship every time you get back onto the ship at every port you stop at?

I know all this can be worry free with a passport but money is tight this year. Which we may end up doing anyway. We would love to make cruising an annual event for us.

Thanks to all.

Take your marriage license just in case. That should have her maiden name. :)

I always take my marriage license too, just in case there is any question in the different last names between my birth certificate and my driver's license. It is a really common thing (women changing their last name due to marriage), so I have found that it is not that big of a deal with them.

To get back on the ship, all they want is you sail and sign card, but I always have my documents (birth certificate, marriage license, and driver's license) with me just in case... ;)

If the docs or airline tickets are in her Maiden name and you are married now, then you will need to bring your marriage certificate. On this past cruise some how US Airways had Wendy's maiden name on it and we had to bring our Marriage Certificate to the airport have that corrected.

Passport had the correct name but the Airline tickets did not.

Fred

My wife and I are planning on using our Birth Certificates rather than getting Passports. (just to save a couple hundred dollars)

Obviously her BC will have her maiden name on it rather than her married name (which would be on her drivers license) Has anyone had an issue with this? Do you have to show ID/Proof of citizenship every time you get back onto the ship at every port you stop at?

I know all this can be worry free with a passport but money is tight this year. Which we may end up doing anyway. We would love to make cruising an annual event for us.

Thanks to all.

Before we got our passports I used my b.c. and never brought my marriage certificate. Once you show your b.c. at embarkation you won't need it again. For the ports you will need to carry you picture ID and sail and sign card..........

If in doubt ask your TA or Carnival............

i work for the cruise line and you don't need to take a marriage license. you need to take a birth certificate & drivers license. your birth certificate would have your maiden name, but the drivers license has your married name, meaning.. it shows your name was legally changed. you can't change your name on your drivers license unless you provide a marriage certificate, anyways, so it's not required by the cruise line..

don't worry. just take birth certificate with maiden name and drivers license with married name.

i work for the cruise line and you don't need to take a marriage license. you need to take a birth certificate & drivers license. your birth certificate would have your maiden name, but the drivers license has your married name, meaning.. it shows your name was legally changed. you can't change your name on your drivers license unless you provide a marriage certificate, anyways, so it's not required by the cruise line..

don't worry. just take birth certificate with maiden name and drivers license with married name.

You are one of the smart cruise reps in Miami, but whos to say we will get a clueless one. :confused:

Bring your Marriage Certificate just incase, its not going to hurt bringing one extra document just incase.

Its just like that parent that brings her Non-Parental Notary on every cruise and never asked for it except for her last cruise.

Fred

I agree with pp'ers to take your marriage license and her current ID... if you are like me you probably really don't want to incase you lose it or something.... I suggest taking a certified copy that you can get at the country clerks office... for fairly cheap---like $6.

HTH!

I did not have my passport on our last cruise, and if I had not had my daughters BC with us I could not have gotten on the ship. I was using only my BC and the name did not match my id. After a few minutes of talking to them they let me on with just that. But I learned, went ahead and got my passport as soon as we got back.

Women in Quebec have the opposite problem. They must (by law) keep their maiden name. They can use their husband's last name commonly, but it has no stature in law. It managed to solve a lot of problems, from medicare cards to driver's licences.

The American companies computer programs can't handle married couples with different last names (never mind their children may have different last names, since they might be hyphenated last names.)

I suggest that you take your marriage certificate along with the birth certificate and of course photo ID. In the end, a Nexus card or a passport is still more appropriate.

Archived