Snorkeling? Ever see anything really cool worth discussing on the boards?

fierymaiden22

Just Curious. I'm going snorkeling for the first time in June in Cozumel. I have a facination with sharks and was wondering anyone ever see them when snorkeling?

You mean like a mermaid or something? no not yet. :(

Fred

Just Curious. I'm going snorkeling for the first time in June in Cozumel. I have a facination with sharks and was wondering anyone ever see them when snorkeling?

Many times. Mostly while in the Fl. keys and mostly while spearfishing.It is extremely interesting to look back and see one chewing on your goody bag full of fish.Worse case was a tiger shark who turned down my fish when I offered them to him...sure makes all other problems go away.

The very first time I snorkeled, I saw an old crab trap on the bottom. I dove down on it, saw it was really old and turned to start back up. RIGHT IN MY FACEPLATE was a barracuda. He was 700 feet long, his mouth was 30 feet wide and his razor sharp teeth were two feet tall. When I got to the surface my snorkel buddy said, "That little baby cuda give you a start?":D

Dan

Hey, Dan, I know what you mean. When hubby & I saw the cuda while snorkeling, we couldn't get out of the water soon enough. Seriously, the thing was 4 feet long at least & had a bajillion teeth! That is one big reason I don't snorkel or dive with jewelry on - don't want to attract any of those guys.

Hey, Dan, I know what you mean. When hubby & I saw the cuda while snorkeling, we couldn't get out of the water soon enough. Seriously, the thing was 4 feet long at least & had a bajillion teeth! That is one big reason I don't snorkel or dive with jewelry on - don't want to attract any of those guys.

Exactly right ...they also liked my old Aquarius (1980) regulator very shiny second stage..had to cover it with my hands .

Oh boy!

Why is it those things scare me more than sharks? Maybe it's because the one I saw was closer to me than the sharks. Also, may have been because it was just me & hubby out there snorkeling. When we saw the sharks, there were several divers with us.

Oh, I had the best snorkeling excursion in Barbados in Feb. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562570049WbFoxR, Turtles. I was the only person onboard the Catamaran talking so much about the turtles I saw. In the one pic where the turtle is really big, he swam right under me. This was my best snorkeling excursion ever.

Oh, I had the best snorkeling excursion in Barbados in Feb. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562570049WbFoxR, Turtles. I was the only person onboard the Catamaran talking so much about the turtles I saw. In the one pic where the turtle is really big, he swam right under me. This was my best snorkeling excursion ever.

Given the opportunity grab him by the shell and go for a very exhilerating ride...extreme rush!Just reading peoples comments on this thread makes me realize I undervalued the years I spent in the Fl. keys.

Last time we were in Cozumel we went snokelling in the Area about ten minutes from the pier that was some kind of Mexico Preserve Park or something and I was snorkeling with my bro in law and heard a scream from his snorkel and turned to see the same 800 ft Barracuda others have seen!! It must be a regular there for sure!!Returning to Coz next month on Triumph and if anybody remembers what the name of that place is please advise as we really enjoyed it except for the land speed record setting taxi ride through the windy road with the high vegetation preventing you from seeing whats coming from the other direction!!!

We snorkeled with a barrecuda in Tortola last year too. It was awesome yet very unnerving. This from a person who can be scared of little fish on a bad day! I was so proud that it was swimming around us and I did not panic and fly out of the water!

Aleece

The very first time I snorkeled, I saw an old crab trap on the bottom. I dove down on it, saw it was really old and turned to start back up. RIGHT IN MY FACEPLATE was a barracuda. He was 700 feet long, his mouth was 30 feet wide and his razor sharp teeth were two feet tall. When I got to the surface my snorkel buddy said, "That little baby cuda give you a start?":D

Dan

LMAO Dan! I think I saw that same barracuda. Sure gave me a start. I bet that 'cuda gets bigger and bigger everytime you tell that story. I know he does when I tell mine. LOL

I saw a barracuda last March in Nassau, but it wasn't 800 feet long. :rolleyes: It was more like 1.5-2 feet long. It did have lots of teeth, though!

In St. Thomas last July, I saw a small shark. We were snorkeling in Shipwreck Cove on one of CCL's snorkeling excursions. The shark was probably 15-20 feet below me, and was maybe 2-3 feet long. (It's hard to judge distances and sizes underwater.) I got DH's attention and we followed it for a minute, but it never got any closer to the surface. One of our guides asked DH what we saw, and she got a little anxious when he told her it was a shark. But when he described it, she thought it sounded like a nurse shark, and said that it wouldn't bother us.

I've seen sea turtles a couple of times, also. They're really cool. They will come really close to people, and they're kind of cute when they come up for air.

Although coral is not all that unusual, the coral formations in Shipwreck Cove in St. Thomas are breathtakingly beautiful.

Last year in Costa Maya we were just breaking in our snorkel gear (we didn't see much out in the water) when my husband brought in a rather large, cool looking shell. It was so big I was wondering if anything had or was currently living in it. I had it right up in front of my face peering into the opening when this THING fell out and squished across my palm and flipped onto the sand. It happened really fast but I was POSITIVE I had seen eight legs on the thing so I had all my friends on hands and knees in the sand looking for the baby octopus. We finally found it (translucent with large blue eyes). It was so tiny! It was about the size of my thumbnail. After a quick picture we relocated him back to the ocean. It's still one of my favorite cruise memories. :)

A few years ago in Cozumel while snorkeling a couple hundred feet off Dzul Ha with my DW I see a cool 5 ft long barracuda about 20 feet away. I was in awe because I had seen only small ones before then and turned to get my wifes attention when I realized she was wearing about 50 lbs of Mexican Silver Jewelry from her earlier shopping trips!!! I got between her and the cuda and tried to make myself real wide to block the view while the cuda circled us, but he never came within 10 ft of us and left after one full circle. It was exciting to go from awe to AAAHHHH!!!! to whew!! in just a few seconds...

We were snorkeling off Buck Island (St. Thomas) and I had an encounter with a barracuda. Darn thing swam up about 6 inches away from my face. I tried to scream and ended up losing my snorkel and swallowing some sea water. I tried to gather my wits and take a picture but it was quite blurry from my hands shaking. My husband has that dumb picture taped on his locker door at work and loves to tell people about his 'wife who is scared of a little fishie'. Ha...if it had only been him.... ;)

Our guides (we were on the BOSS excursion) warned us that he'd be there and assured us he was friendly. I'm sorry, but it is hard to associate "friendly" with something that has that many teeth. :eek:

We have snorkeled with sharks..... but it was in Tahiti :D

Archived