Late Night in Kids Clubs

Husker Girl

My first post so hopefully I am doing this right!

I've found these boards to be so helpful in planning previous cruises but I have finally hit upon a question I just can't find the answer to. We have cruised twice on Disney, 4-day and just this month a 7-day on the Magic. Loved them both and are hooked on cruising for our family vacations now! However, we are finding the prices on Disney to be just too high for us next Spring Break so are looking to other lines.

My daughter will be almost 11 (birthday the week after we cruise) and my son will turn 14 3 days before we sail. We are looking at the Ruby Princess, Liberty of the Seas, and Carnival Glory. My kids both loved the late-night parties in Ocean Quest on the Magic--they were both able to attend together. My son will be in the teen program on any of these ships so will have a lot of late-night options. My daughter will fall into the younger group. I don't care that I have to pay for "after hours" time--does anyone know what is offered on any of these ships? Is it just unstructured play or do they do any "party" activities with this age group? My daughter is very much into what is "fair" between her and her brother right now!

On Princess they offer late evening babysitting for $5 and hour from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Usually they have quiet activities like movies. It's not really a late night party. They do usually have a PJ party, but that runs during the regular hours of 7-10 p.m.

I have a run down of each cruisline's kids club by age and the cost of the extra hour programs on my blog....go to the bottom article entitled The FAQ

http://www.cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

Basically, off the top of my head, RCCL and Carnival both have Late Night Party Zones and Late Night Dance Party. One cost $6 per child per hour the other $5. One runs as late as 3am.

That's an awesome reference, cruisinmama--thanks for all the work in putting it together! My daughter really enjoyed the pirate deck party on Disney and the beach party they had at Ocean Quest, so I was hoping she could get some kind of dance party in. Most parents are probably looking to get kids calmed down after 10:00 so I'm guessing movie-watching and that sort of thing might be more the norm in the clubs when it gets late. I guess I will have to make sure she gets worn out during the day--usually not such a hard thing on vacation!

That's an awesome reference, cruisinmama--thanks for all the work in putting it together! My daughter really enjoyed the pirate deck party on Disney and the beach party they had at Ocean Quest, so I was hoping she could get some kind of dance party in. Most parents are probably looking to get kids calmed down after 10:00 so I'm guessing movie-watching and that sort of thing might be more the norm in the clubs when it gets late. I guess I will have to make sure she gets worn out during the day--usually not such a hard thing on vacation!

Well if you really want to see the different activities I have each cruiseline kid schedule uploaded here...

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

As family board parents come back from the cruise, they send me copies of the pages. :D

What an awesome group we have here! :D

And for the 11 year old group, they won't be sitting and watching movies after 10pm. At that time they are having parties. The only movie watching is usually for the itty bitty ones (like 2-5)

Although Princess doesn't have late night parties in the kids club, they do have deck parties that start around 10 p.m. and are for the whole family, similar to the Disney Pirate Party. We have been to two of the Tropical Deck Parties on Princess and they are tons of fun. There are usually quite a few kids there. My daughter and I danced and conga'd up a storm!! In addition, we took in several of the later production shows starting at 10 p.m. because she loves to see the singers and dancers, but often the earlier shows conflicted with something she wanted to do in the kids club. Sometimes after I picked her up at the club we would stop by one of the lounges where a band was playing and dance a bit before she headed to bead.

Thanks for the help! These boards are such a great resource. Sounds like lots going on no matter what we pick...which is what makes it really hard to choose! There are pros and cons for every ship. Since I am not in the business of building my own, I guess I will just have to suck it up and make a decision. :) It's vacation...it's going to be great no matter what!

we never went on carnival, but have been on princess, ncl and rc with kids - princess was very quiet for late nite ( my son did NOT like it very much at all). on ncl and rc, he had a blast! they did lots of activities - very energetic - not sure about dance parties, but tournements and lots of stuff going on. he was 7 on ncl, 8 on princess and 9 on rc - princess was definately very calm after 10pm, so calm that we will not cruise on them again with kids... only ncl or rc....he is 10 now and can't wait for our rc cruise!:)

hope this helps!

on our RCCL cruises on the Mariner after 10 pm the older kids play "gagga ball" ..I guess that is how you spell it?..which is like dodgeball I think in the kids club. They ran non stop until we picked them up at midnight. The charge was $5 per hour per child for the after ten club time. It was definitely an unstructured free for all and they had a lot of fun but I don't remember any parties like a PJ party but I could be wrong......

Archived