Final Questions Before We Sail On 5/2/08

bella54

Hello All!!:D

Not long now:) !!! But, as I sort through my to do lists, a few things come to mind. 1) Is it worth taking a travel iron with you?? Are you even allowed one in the cabin?? Just thought it would be more handy to have one when you need rather than trekking to the laundry. 2) Reading on a link www.seauonboard.com (great site) about if your hand luggage is more than 17" x 11" it will need to be checked onboard with the larger luggage. These pieces are our carryon luggage from the plane and as it will contain my lapto, cameras binoculars etc and a change of clothes etc and other items we might need, I would rather keep it with me as it also means running off more luggage tags (not that its hard) but I guess its better to be prepared. Oh, one more thing. We are Aussies and after putting on International Roaming, my provider which is Telstra adv that Alaska was not on the list of countries covered by the network. Any Aussies out there that have travelled this area before used their mobiles? I would guess that Spirit would have cell phone coverage so any suggestions/recommendations. Lucky last question. Wireless internet on the Spirit - how secure is it. After earlier discussions I have decided to bring mine. I was letting Visa know where we will be going and the consultant said "you can check your transactions online" This is secure at home as router is password protected but what about the security at sea. Sorry for all the questions but this forum has been absolutely fantastic to make our trip easier. Soooooooooooo excited!!:D :D

Irons are not allowed on the ship. Most wrinkles will fall out after hanging them up. If you need to iron something, send it out, or go down to the laundry for a touch-up. Carry-on luggage can be 24 x 16. Not sure about your other questions, but have a great cruise!

On most carnival ships, wireless is avaiable in public areas only.

As for secure, I have never had a problem. I always check on Thursday to make sure my DH check goes into the bank.

Sprint, I thought covered almost anywhere. go onto our Carriers site, ad check to see if there is coverage. they should have a map that shows what is covered and not.

We dropped sprint because it did not cover all areas of the US. We would be traveling by car, and have to stop when we got servicee jus to make a phone call. Was the same with Virgin, and T-mobile. We now have ATT, and dont have a problem.

Just remember when you go through security, you will have to remove your laptop from your bag and send it through seperatly.

... We are Aussies and after putting on International Roaming, my provider which is Telstra adv that Alaska was not on the list of countries covered by the network. ...

Well I know why Alaska was not on the list, Alaska is part of the US not a county of its own.

Looking at the coverage map of one the roaming partners (AT&T), it shows coverage in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. Looks like there might be spotty coverage in Glacier Bay.

Hi all :)

Thanks so much for your replies...probably my mistake when I said cruise to Alaska - telstra stated that there was coverage in Canada, but I realise that I probably gave him a bum steer stating Alaska and not mentioning the towns we visit. He also mentioned coverage did not extend to sea. But I'm happy with that - terrible when we can't do without our mobiles for a short time.:(

janette and keith:D :D

Hi all :)

Thanks so much for your replies...probably my mistake when I said cruise to Alaska - telstra stated that there was coverage in Canada, but I realise that I probably gave him a bum steer stating Alaska and not mentioning the towns we visit. He also mentioned coverage did not extend to sea. But I'm happy with that - terrible when we can't do without our mobiles for a short time.:(

janette and keith:D :D

Another thing to be aware of is on the ship you might be connected to their network. This can range any where from $2.49 to $5 and possibly upwards per minute, depending on provider.

Definitely keep your carry-on case with you (plane and cruise ship).

You should place all valuables in a case you keep with you !

Example: jewelry, computer, cell phone, camera. And especially

medications in their original container - you don't want to chance

being separated from medications is a suitcase doesn't make a transfer.

And you definitely don't want to chance someone along the line

taking valuable items out of your carry-on.

Definitely keep your carry-on case with you (plane and cruise ship).

You should place all valuables in a case you keep with you !

Example: jewelry, computer, cell phone, camera. And especially

medications in their original container - you don't want to chance

being separated from medications is a suitcase doesn't make a transfer.

And you definitely don't want to chance someone along the line

taking valuable items out of your carry-on.

I have so many meds that carrying all my bottles would take up a suitcase alone. What I do is take them in a weekly pill minder, and make a list of all my meds and my pharmacy. This I not only attach to my Special Requirements form, but carry with my meds. If asked, all they have to do is call the pharrmacy to verify. Plus I have a nebulizer to carry, along with cameras, laptop, mp3 players (listen to at night to go to sleep) call phone. I don't like carrying a lot on board. A small back pack is all I carry on.

OOPS,..... off topic here. LOL.......

Anyway, I looked up my gophone, and where there is service cost me .25 - .52 per minute. But on a cruise, my phone stays in the room.

There is some kind of internet card you can get in the ports that is for time. I read the same card can be used in at least two different ports. Much much cheaper than internet time on the ship.

I have paid up to $6 an hour for internet usuage in ports, on the ship it will be per minute and add up very fast. If you want to check emails and stuff, Id wait to check them in the ports.

I have so many meds that carrying all my bottles would take up a suitcase alone. What I do is take them in a weekly pill minder, and make a list of all my meds and my pharmacy. This I not only attach to my Special Requirements form, but carry with my meds. .

I have read over and over again, to take meds in original containers unless you have a copy of the prescriptions. We do this to be on the safe side. The smallest size case that came with our suitcase set we use for my sister's medications. She takes tons too, about 4 times a day. The case also fits into the safe, and we lock it and the camera and money up in the safe. Tight fit, but gives us peace of mind as her meds we couldnt get prescriptions filled in ports, the meds are too unusual.

I have read over and over again, to take meds in original containers unless you have a copy of the prescriptions. We do this to be on the safe side. The smallest size case that came with our suitcase set we use for my sister's medications. She takes tons too, about 4 times a day. The case also fits into the safe, and we lock it and the camera and money up in the safe. Tight fit, but gives us peace of mind as her meds we couldnt get prescriptions filled in ports, the meds are too unusual.

I actually take a couple of the bottles with me as i need extras of some of my meds like my blood thinners, and meclazine and heart burn pills. I have 15 bottles I have to carry with me. It is easier to do it the way I do it, and have done for 3 cruises now, and never had a problem.

Sample of the list I made to carry.

Name/Address

Diagnosis

Medications (pharmacy name and phone)

name dose frequency

Drug Allergies

Food allergies

Doctors names (all doctors, primary, lung, gyn, etc) with phone and address

Emergency contact information

this list is not only good for travel, but for when you go to a new doctor. Just attach that, and you save yourself a lot of writing on those new patient forms. And the doctors offices / ER like it. Makes their jobs easier also.

Archived