Any Carnival ship vs. QM2

patterson3

I'm just curious if it cost the same to take a cruise on the QM2 as an identical itinerary on your favorite Carnival ship, would you choose the QM2 over Carnival? (This seems like a no-brainer to some but I know there are a lot of people that consider the QM2 too "stuffy", etc...)

How about if it was a $300 difference?....$500?

Personally I'm dying to sail on the QM2, but in my current financial situation it's a little out of my price range. As it is I'm the type of cruiser who would rather cruise once on a balcony cabin than 2 or 3 times in an inside cabin, but I can't quite justify around $3000 per person for an 8 or 10 day cruise right now....

I'm just curious if it cost the same to take a cruise on the QM2 as an identical itinerary on your favorite Carnival ship, would you choose the QM2 over Carnival? (This seems like a no-brainer to some but I know there are a lot of people that consider the QM2 too "stuffy", etc...)

How about if it was a $300 difference?....$500?

Personally I'm dying to sail on the QM2, but in my current financial situation it's a little out of my price range. As it is I'm the type of cruiser who would rather cruise once on a balcony cabin than 2 or 3 times in an inside cabin, but I can't quite justify around $3000 per person for an 8 or 10 day cruise right now....

I think you may be better off sailing on Carnival right now and planning a later cruise on QM2. The Splendor is their largest ship sailing right now, then the Conquest class ships, if you are looking for a large ship. My personal favorite class is the Spirit class (the Miracle in paticular), but if you want the large ship, go for the Splendor or a Conquest class. HTH.

Edited to add: This is of course considering the financial aspect. I know the QM2 is a larger, different ship/experience.

The QM2 and Carnival are different experiences, each unique. I don't think it is a question of one or the other as they are like night and day. I have been on the QM2 and it is fabulous and really an experience of a lifetime. In fact, we are planning to do a transAtlantic crossing for my 40 birthday.

If the price is the same, I personally would sail the QM2 everytime. It is really my sort of thing. However, I think it is worthwhile to get a OV for just one time and see how the other half live.

The QM2 and Carnival are different experiences, each unique. I don't think it is a question of one or the other as they are like night and day. I have been on the QM2 and it is fabulous and really an experience of a lifetime. In fact, we are planning to do a transAtlantic crossing for my 40 birthday.

If the price is the same, I personally would sail the QM2 everytime. It is really my sort of thing. However, I think it is worthwhile to get a OV for just one time and see how the other half live.

Thanks for the insite. I'm currently booked on the Freedom for next winter (which will be a step up from our last cruise which was on the Fascination), but our next cruise we're looking at either the QM2 or some HAL ship. Have you sailed on HAL before? If so, how does that compare to Cunard, and the QM2 in particular?

We are going on the Freedom in two days!

I have not sailed with HAL. I am a Princess loyalist trying Carnival for the first time. I can compared QM2 with five Princess ships I have been on and QM2 is far ahead in luxury. It is a different experience but perhaps a little "nose in the air" Having said that, the QM2 experience is a little stuffy. More book club than hairy chest contest. More intellectual. I am wondering about Celebrity. It seems Celebrity is a good inbetween.

I love cruising but trying to compare Carnival to Cunard is not possible. IMO

I agree with you. I wasn't really trying to compare the two, I was just trying to get a gauge on how much more the QM2 "experience" is worth vs. a Carnival cruise. I've only been on Carnival and really enjoyed myself, but I never hung out at the Lido deck by the pool, didn't drink much and wasn't interested in newlywed games and hairy chest competitions....Honestly one of the coolest things on the Fascination (IMO) was the scetches of older steamships in the hallways....and when I found out that Cunard has museums on their ships I was impressed. Personally I'd rather spend my time there than lying out by the pool drinking beer. But I'm also pretty simple when it comes to my tastes and wouldn't enjoy caviar, filet mignon and champagne at dinner....The food on Carnival was remarkable! Like I said I'm not trying to compare the 2 or turn this into a Carnival vs. Cunard thing, I was just curious what people who have been on Carnival and the QM2 thought about whether the huge price difference is worth it....

Sorry for rambling....

I'd love to experience any Cunard ship.

But I'm the opposite of OP. I'd MUCH rather sail 3 times on a Fantasy-class ship in an inside cabin than sail once in a balcony. I sail for the ports, not the ship.

Still, I'd love to sail QM2 and, yes, if money were no object, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Maybe not a TA, but one of their Caribbean cruises would be nice!

10 days, 12/9/08 FLL, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, St L, St K, St T, 3 sea days, starting at $1,645! Obstructed view balcony starts at $1,845.

Not really all that bad!

I haven't been on Carnival yet, but have booked 16 nights this November on Carnival Freedom from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale (home) and then next May 2009 from Dover to the Baltic States for 12 nights. Can't wait. Now, I was on Cunard twice, both times wonderful. Once 20 years ago in the Mediterranean on Vistafjord and then March of 2007 I sailed on the last leg of the QM2's first round-the-world voyage returning to Ft. Lauderdale, where it started. I must say it was wonderful, but to be honest there are things I like and dislike about all of the ships I've been on. Maybe dislike is too strong a word, let's just say some things I might change if I was in charge. Anyway, on QM2 we were in an in-the-hull balcony cabin for the crossing and it was just great. (I would NOT book one of these cabins in the hull for a Caribbean cruise since they don't get much sun) but trans-atlantic was just fine. I've sailed on Holland America Zuiderdam twice and Oosterdam once, one balcony and two deluxe suites (at a fabulous prices found on the Internet). Keep looking for those bargains; they are there if your schedule is flexible. The OP would LOVE QM2 because the whole ship is like a museum with wonderful mammoth size pictures scattered everywhere on the ship of days gone by with celebrities who have sailed her, dignataries, etc. Was hoping they'd put them all in a book to purchase, but no such luck. The planetarium on the QM2. Fabulous. Only one at sea. Tom Hanks narrated one of the films on outer space that was just teriffic! Also one of the guest speakers on the leg we were on was Rita Moreno who gave two lectures and answered everyone's questions about her movie career. What a lady! I digress. If I had to choose though, of the lines I've been on, I would go with HAL, but then again I'm 56 and yes, the crowd on HAL is older than some of the other ship lines. I like it that way. I'm taking Carnival this time for the itinerary and the price, which can't be beat, and thinking the length of the two I've booked will probably be an older crowd, probably a mix of Americans and Europeans. To the OP, you should look for bargains on the QM2, you can get a balcony cabin on a transatlantic for under $1,000 for a crossing from Southampton to NYC. If you can, do it. You'll love it. Last March was our first crossing and even got an extra day on the QM2 since it came back to Florida and not NYC so just got in the car in the parking lot and drove home. Cruising to me is not going to a million activities on board, it's eating, sleeping, sightseeing and taking it easy away from a stressful job. Counting off those day until November! Happy Sailing!

I haven't been on Carnival yet, but have booked 16 nights this November on Carnival Freedom from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale (home) and then next May 2009 from Dover to the Baltic States for 12 nights. Can't wait. Now, I was on Cunard twice, both times wonderful. Once 20 years ago in the Mediterranean on Vistafjord and then March of 2007 I sailed on the last leg of the QM2's first round-the-world voyage returning to Ft. Lauderdale, where it started. I must say it was wonderful, but to be honest there are things I like and dislike about all of the ships I've been on. Maybe dislike is too strong a word, let's just say some things I might change if I was in charge. Anyway, on QM2 we were in an in-the-hull balcony cabin for the crossing and it was just great. (I would NOT book one of these cabins in the hull for a Caribbean cruise since they don't get much sun) but trans-atlantic was just fine. I've sailed on Holland America Zuiderdam twice and Oosterdam once, one balcony and two deluxe suites (at a fabulous prices found on the Internet). Keep looking for those bargains; they are there if your schedule is flexible. The OP would LOVE QM2 because the whole ship is like a museum with wonderful mammoth size pictures scattered everywhere on the ship of days gone by with celebrities who have sailed her, dignataries, etc. Was hoping they'd put them all in a book to purchase, but no such luck. The planetarium on the QM2. Fabulous. Only one at sea. Tom Hanks narrated one of the films on outer space that was just teriffic! Also one of the guest speakers on the leg we were on was Rita Moreno who gave two lectures and answered everyone's questions about her movie career. What a lady! I digress. If I had to choose though, of the lines I've been on, I would go with HAL, but then again I'm 56 and yes, the crowd on HAL is older than some of the other ship lines. I like it that way. I'm taking Carnival this time for the itinerary and the price, which can't be beat, and thinking the length of the two I've booked will probably be an older crowd, probably a mix of Americans and Europeans. To the OP, you should look for bargains on the QM2, you can get a balcony cabin on a transatlantic for under $1,000 for a crossing from Southampton to NYC. If you can, do it. You'll love it. Last March was our first crossing and even got an extra day on the QM2 since it came back to Florida and not NYC so just got in the car in the parking lot and drove home. Cruising to me is not going to a million activities on board, it's eating, sleeping, sightseeing and taking it easy away from a stressful job. Counting off those day until November! Happy Sailing!

Thank you for that extremely helpful response. You also answered a question/concern of mine regarding the in the hull balconies. They are obviously cheaper and I thought that the fact that they were right over the water (rather than off-set like the higher balconies) and I could just look down and watch the water hitting the ship would make them a better choice, but if they are so sheltered to not let in much sunlight, than you're right- definitely not the choice for a caribbean cruise.

Glad I could supply some info that might help you. The upper balconies on the QM2 are very open and would get lots of light, but then again they are priced QUITE a bit more. One of the problems with the in-hull balconies I would think on a Caribbean cruise would be the height of the cut out. It is cut very high, so when you are sitting in one of the chairs out there you can't see the water. You have to stand to do that. I remember when I took the Sea Princess in Dec. 2000 that ship also had an in-hull type balcony, however, rather than being a solid piece of iron on the bottom (like the QM2) it had iron rungs and was lower so you COULD sit and look out and down though the rungs at the water. It was great and so was that cruise. Loved the Sea Princess. I think it's been renamed something else now. I think it was taken out of service for a short period of time. Anyway, sometimes you can find specials on the QM2 for a crossing for around $1,000, WITH one way air included. I'd go to the Cunard website and sign up for their brochures, e-mails, etc. I belong to what seems like dozens of e-mail sites getting all their notices and am always looking for a bargain! Like this coming November on Carnival Freedom. Booked in June 2007 for November 2008, an aft-facing (which I LOVE) balcony cabin, 16 nights for approx. $1,500 per person. Unbelievable! Repositioning cruises are usually your best savings. If you can wangle it, you should experience QM2 at least once, be it even a cruise to nowhere, which they do sometimes. Happy Sailing!

Glad I could supply some info that might help you. The upper balconies on the QM2 are very open and would get lots of light, but then again they are priced QUITE a bit more. One of the problems with the in-hull balconies I would think on a Caribbean cruise would be the height of the cut out. It is cut very high, so when you are sitting in one of the chairs out there you can't see the water. You have to stand to do that. I remember when I took the Sea Princess in Dec. 2000 that ship also had an in-hull type balcony, however, rather than being a solid piece of iron on the bottom (like the QM2) it had iron rungs and was lower so you COULD sit and look out and down though the rungs at the water. It was great and so was that cruise. Loved the Sea Princess. I think it's been renamed something else now. I think it was taken out of service for a short period of time. Anyway, sometimes you can find specials on the QM2 for a crossing for around $1,000, WITH one way air included. I'd go to the Cunard website and sign up for their brochures, e-mails, etc. I belong to what seems like dozens of e-mail sites getting all their notices and am always looking for a bargain! Like this coming November on Carnival Freedom. Booked in June 2007 for November 2008, an aft-facing (which I LOVE) balcony cabin, 16 nights for approx. $1,500 per person. Unbelievable! Repositioning cruises are usually your best savings. If you can wangle it, you should experience QM2 at least once, be it even a cruise to nowhere, which they do sometimes. Happy Sailing!

Thanks again. I was looking for a Caribbean cruise (either an 8 or 10 day cruise from New York (which would be close enough to drive to) or FT Lauderdale (which we could get pretty cheap airfare)....But for $1,000 including one way airfare maybe we should look into doing a transatlantic crossing instead....That's incredibly cheap!!!

I have sailed on all three lines - - Cunard, Carnival and Holland America. All three are very good at what they do but all three try to do something different.

Cunard is elegant and sophisticated. The lifestyle is formal, clutured and very much tied to the line's 160 year heritage. QM2 is a technological marvel - - very fast, very stable in rough seas. Also, although the ship is one of the world's largest, the number of passengers has been limited so that the double occupancy capacity is about that of the Carnival Destiny class - - a class about 50,000 tons smaller than QM2.

Carnival is good light-hearted fun. It is casual and the prices are very good. The ships are nice and the various interiors designed by Joe Farcus are quite interesting.

HAL is similar to Cunard in its sophistication. The ships are beautfully done with good art collections and tasteful contemporary interiors. The lifestyle is somewhat more restrained than Cunard and certainly more so than Carnival.

Which line to go on depends upon your personal taste. If the type of experience that the cruise line is seeking to provide is not attuned to your lifestyle, then you will not be happy regardless of how much you paid for the cabin. If one goes on Cunard expecting and wanting it to be like Carnival or vice versa, you will be unhappy.

Archived