Those Who Like Formal: Will You Still?

Leo Jay

I've worn enough ties and suites. When I'm on a cruise it will be nice not to have to put the "monkey suit" on. Casual and comfortable rules.:)

If I liked it , I'd wear my tux around the house. That ain't happening.

That's why so many people run to the cabin after dinner and change into what they like better.

Hey Dan!

I am 58 & I have earned every gray hair on my head! I take pride that I still have all my hair! Most of all, I am grateful to see every morning when I wake up! When asked how I am, I reply, "not bad for an old guy!" I enjoy bantering back and forth about age and difference between generations!

Yep, we would have a blast. Hey, about 2009?

Lee

Hi Trock, Halos & Dan and anyone interested,

If you do want the info, just e-mail me at leew3rd@yahoo.com. I don't want to completely hijack the thread and I don't want to break any rules on this site!

How about a cruise in 2009 and we & our spouses/significant others get together and have a blast!

Lee

Question for all of you who seem to be offended by people who choose to not dress up for formal nights....

Why do you care?

Is there not dressing up affecting your enjoyment of your cruise that much? Me and the missus will be taking our first cruise next year, and I have been reading these boards for a couple of months now gathering info. I never realized there were so many folks who are worried about what other people are doing. If you want to put on a tux and tails or sparkly top and ball skirt, do you. Quit worrying about what everyone else is wearing on their back.

And for those of you who enjoy cruising Carnival so much and now have decided not to because of these dress code changes, get a life and mind your own business, please. That has to be one of the dumbest reasons to stop cruising with a line that you enjoy......

Question for all of you who seem to be offended by people who choose to not dress up for formal nights....

Why do you care?

Is there not dressing up affecting your enjoyment of your cruise that much? Me and the missus will be taking our first cruise next year, and I have been reading these boards for a couple of months now gathering info. I never realized there were so many folks who are worried about what other people are doing. If you want to put on a tux and tails or sparkly top and ball skirt, do you. Quit worrying about what everyone else is wearing on their back.

And for those of you who enjoy cruising Carnival so much and now have decided not to because of these dress code changes, get a life and mind your own business, please. That has to be one of the dumbest reasons to stop cruising with a line that you enjoy......

Wonder where I heard this advice?

get a life and mind your own business, please.

You give advice, can you follow it?

To answer your, "Why do you care?" question. I never did care what anyone wore when there were formal dress codes. If anyone was unable to dress in beautiful clothing is not my business. What bothered me was the tiny percentage of self centered idiots that intentionally broke the dress code to champion their individuality. When all they did was champion their ignorance of decent social behavior. And now Carnival has kowtowed to that minority. Telling me, they must want some other type customer. Since Carnival cruises constitute about 25% of my total cruises and I very much enjoyed the other 75% as well, why stick with a company that has lost all my respect and interest.

Dan

Why do you care?

i can understand the attitude from a first time cruiser, it's those of us who for years past that wish to keep formal night alive. we have the right to our opinions as well, so to you buy a suit

Have done the dress up thing for many years. It was cool when everyone did it but now, while I'm sweating in my suite and tie, I look over and see all these guys in shorts and tee shirts REALLY being cool its going to be shorts and tee's for me.:) :D

Have done the dress up thing for many years. It was cool when everyone did it but now, while I'm sweating in my suite and tie, I look over and see all these guys in shorts and tee shirts REALLY being cool its going to be shorts and tee's for me.:) :D

Why is it I read posts like this, but I have cruised many times and never even encountered anyone wearing shorts in the dining room on formal night? Hmmmmm who ya gonna believe:rolleyes: I think I will stick with reality;)

We will definitely dress up. We are not dressy up people so this is a great time for a formal family picture to be put on canvas (our 2nd). Also it is nice to see our GS in something other than jeans and a t shirt!! Our GD loves to dress up any time so this is fun for her! We don't go the tux road but our clothes are dressy. Only 15 days and we are sooo ready.

Shankiko;)

i can understand the attitude from a first time cruiser, it's those of us who for years past that wish to keep formal night alive. we have the right to our opinions as well, so to you buy a suit

I don't have a problem with wearing a suit, and actually plan on dressing up for both formal nights on my cruise.

What I don't understand is the attitude that people have that makes them so concerned with whats on someone else's back. For example, after reading the Royal Caribbean boards it seems as if their cruisers despise folks wearing jeans in the dining room, whereas my idea of casual dress is a nice Polo shirt, some crisp dark blue jeans, and some all white tennis shoes, preferably some Nike Air Force 1s. But according to them, I'd be out of line by wearing that outfit to the dining room on non-formal nights.

I guess I'm just not a fan of dress codes or people telling me what I should wear or how I should look, nor am I a fan of people who spend all of their time criticizing how someone else looks.....

I don't have a problem with wearing a suit, and actually plan on dressing up for both formal nights on my cruise.

What I don't understand is the attitude that people have that makes them so concerned with whats on someone else's back. For example, after reading the Royal Caribbean boards it seems as if their cruisers despise folks wearing jeans in the dining room, whereas my idea of casual dress is a nice Polo shirt, some crisp dark blue jeans, and some all white tennis shoes, preferably some Nike Air Force 1s. But according to them, I'd be out of line by wearing that outfit to the dining room on non-formal nights.

I guess I'm just not a fan of dress codes or people telling me what I should wear or how I should look, nor am I a fan of people who spend all of their time criticizing how someone else looks.....

That's because some people are in denial that jeans are allowed and appropriate on casual night;) But we are talking about formal night or now it is called the new cruise elegant night.....

and when they take a picture of the entire table please don't mind when i shove you out of the picture

Hi all,

To everyone, "Can't we all just get along?"

If the rules have changed, just go with the flow. I enjoy my 1 or 2 nights of dressing up in a tux. If the person next to me chooses not to do the same, I don't care or think any worse of that person. We even may become friends over a drink and conversation. Who knows?

Heck, Dan is going to coach me on how to prevent from getting a second stent!:D I already like him!!!!!

I grew up as the son of an American diplomat. I HAD to dress up on many occassions, even as a kid! For awhile, I swore I would never put myself in clothes like that again! What kid likes to have on a coat and tie and be uncomfortable? Funny how things come full circle! My job now, with a rescue squad in Virginia, allows me to wear jeans every day along with a squad emblem emblazoned polo shirt. I now look forward to evenings when I can wear a suit & tie or sport coat and slacks! LOL!!!

Anyway, I am getting off my soapbox. If you wish to wear something less formal, it is fine with me. If I wear formal attire, I just hope it will be alright with you.:)

We are on vacation; peace.

Lee

jeans and air force ones, hmmm, casual and so 2004

Ya know he was talking about casual nights. And what he described was fine. Don't get me started on the outdated polyester suits I see on formal night;) You know the ones that pull their pants up past their bellybuttons lol:eek: :eek:

Hah! Pfaaf! One little stent, I got two, so there. :D It WAS fun being "immortal" while it lasted. :( Congrats on your recovery. :) 8 years now for me.

Dan

HA! You're both had it easy. :D Three blocked at 90% which stents couldn't fix, so a triple bypass for me. No heart attack or stroke, I just told the doctor I had this funny feeling in the sides of my neck for the past few months.

I was riding my Jetski on a Friday and had the operation on Monday.

It's been a year now it's eating right and exercise. Even on a cruise I walk 4 miles a day and eat lots of grilled chicken instead of lobster and streaks. :(

As for me I dislike wearing a tie when I'm not on vacation, so why would I want to wear one when I'm on vacation? On past cruises I have worn a dark suit and tie when in the dinning room. Now it appears a dress shirt and nice dockers will be enough, works for me.

i'll give you casual nights, but why not on formal night open up one dining area for formal dressed people, and the other for casual? serve the same food and all is well. af1's classic? so are geranimals. sure hope your outfit matches.

Archived