Sorry Dumb question about Departure ports

carnival lover

Hi. We have been on four awesome Carnival Cruises. We currently live in Florida so we have like 5 departure ports to choose from. My hubby is in the navy and we are moving up to Maine. I of course had to look into future cruises. I know that you can sail out of Norfolk, Va and New York. My question is this, when I looked at cruises out of those ports I only found mostly summertime cruises. Is that because of the weather? Are all cruise lines the same way?? Is there anything out of the upper east coast in the fall/winter? I guess we never had this concern before! :p

I know you pros know all of these things!

Thanks!

Hi. We have been on four awesome Carnival Cruises. We currently live in Florida so we have like 5 departure ports to choose from. My hubby is in the navy and we are moving up to Maine. I of course had to look into future cruises. I know that you can sail out of Norfolk, Va and New York. My question is this, when I looked at cruises out of those ports I only found mostly summertime cruises. Is that because of the weather? Are all cruise lines the same way?? Is there anything out of the upper east coast in the fall/winter? I guess we never had this concern before! :p

I know you pros know all of these things!

Thanks!

I believe RCCL has a ship that sails from NJ all year round and NCL also.

Yes probably because of the weather and also because it takes about 2.5 days to get down to the Caribbean from NY.

The Carnival Miracle sails out of NY until mid Oct.

Well, definitely you are leaving cruiser heaven when you leave FL. I know this since it is where I came to OKC from. Love it here, but for cruising it is more difficult and expensive :rolleyes:

The seas in the North Atlantic are very rough in winter, as is the climate up there. Your cruising will be seasonal...

HTH:)

You can't beat South Florida for sheer volume of departures. The other East Coast ports mainly serve local folk within driving distance. So unless you are in driving distance, there is not much reason to go there, unless there is some special destination, like Bermuda, which only leaves from there.

Boston has a couple cruises as well but the water is rough up here. We always fly to FL to cruise thus we cannot do it as often because it is usually $2000 or more for us to fly. The weather is the case, not much fun getting on a ship when it is 20 degrees, windy and snowing out.

Archived