Where to stay in Galveston?

love-lee

This will be my first cruise and we are driving to Galveston and planning on spending Saturday night there before we embark on the Conquest June 29. Most of the places I have seen recommended have a two night minimum. I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions on a nice place that may have free cruise parking. It will be me and my 2 kiddos (10 and 13). We are very excited, and I am loving all the info I have found on these boards! :)

This will be my first cruise and we are driving to Galveston and planning on spending Saturday night there before we embark on the Conquest June 29. Most of the places I have seen recommended have a two night minimum. I was just wondering if any one had any suggestions on a nice place that may have free cruise parking. It will be me and my 2 kiddos (10 and 13). We are very excited, and I am loving all the info I have found on these boards! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you can't find an answer here there isn't an answer to find!

Might I suggest that you go to the Gulf Coast Departures forum and ask your question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

A couple of years ago we were cruising out of Galveston. We stayed at Holiday Inn on the Sea (I think that is the name). It is right on the beach. Anyway, it was reasonable, good location, we parked our car for free, they took us to the port and were there waiting for us when we got back.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you can't find an answer here there isn't an answer to find!

Might I suggest that you go to the Gulf Coast Departures forum and ask your question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

I'm still learning my way around the boards. Thanks for the tip. Now I have a whole new area of the boards to explore!

A couple of years ago we were cruising out of Galveston. We stayed at Holiday Inn on the Sea (I think that is the name). It is right on the beach. Anyway, it was reasonable, good location, we parked our car for free, they took us to the port and were there waiting for us when we got back.

I stayed there too. It was before my first cruise in October of '05. It was a good hotel for pre-cruise. We didn't use the shuttle service..... I'm too impatient.:o

There is a Holiday Inn Sunspree and a Holiday Inn On the Beach. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach and it was nice enough, had free cruise parking, and a shuttle to the ship.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/glssb;jsessionid=BALVHI4SFO0GSCTGWAKCIIQKM0YDKIY4?firstpoint=dcb1&_requestid=457821

The first few pictures on this page are from that hotel:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/grandPrincessDec2006/gp1.htm

I stayed there too. It was before my first cruise in October of '05. It was a good hotel for pre-cruise. We didn't use the shuttle service..... I'm too impatient.:o

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach two times, but it was during the off season. Ran $100 a night. I checked last year for a trip in March and it was $175. They have free cruise parking and a free shuttle service to and from the terminal. We have also stayed at the Best Western. They have free parking but you need to grab a cab to terminal. Another option is to stay at one of the cheaper places of your choice and park at EZ Park. They have a shuttle and you can book online and get a discount.

When in doubt, Google.;)

I know what hotel to avoid, unless you want a budget hotel with no frills at all. We stayed at the Ramada Limited on 23rd and Seawall in February. It was a very budget hotel, and the "recent renovations" weren't noticeable. We were on the 5th floor and couldn't get the balcony doors to lock, that and the balcony decking was deeply pitted (from hurricanes/winds) and the plastic chairs were very dirty and we had to wash them befre we could sit on it. It has a breakfast room with a good variety of breakfast items. I liked the Texas shaped waffle iron, quite cute...

On the otherhand, it was comfortable and it was right across from the beach, uhm, but I doubt if you'd want suntan on the beach, at least that stretch. It is very close to port--less than a five minute cab ride and there is a Wendy's right next door for vale priced meals, but not the most healthy....

If you haven't found us yet, we have a roll call going; obviously in the roll call area of the boards. :D

DH and I are taking the kids (11 and 14), it is their first cruise. DH and I have been on a few.

Come join us!

Robyn

Thanks! I guess I'm just a slow learner. I finally found the roll call! :)

We stayed at the Galveston-On-The-Beach, at 5002 Seawall Blvd. It was decent and had free parking if you were taking a cruise.

They had free shuttles to and from the ships and would take you downtown to the Strand area (tourist part of town) and pick you up again when you were ready to return to the hotel.

Harbour House, no question. :D It is a really nice hotel, right downtown (well, close) and has good restaurants right next door and is a very short walk from the Historic Srand District. The decor is very nice (nautical - lots of wood and lighter tones) and the best part is you can walk to the port!! :D

Here are some pics of the hotel and our room. :D The last one on the far right is the Port of Galveston and our ship (Carnival Conquest) taken from our room at the Harbour House. :D

20080209-162122.jpg.6e8b63a85b66f6ee063f59ce8a25c16f.jpg

993275952_HarborHouse.jpg.95f525409fa60def416cea645c0233a5.jpg

20080209-163721.jpg.9b463fa7d47ff688ba55a3cc5497aa3b.jpg

20080209-163715.jpg.8e1c5b823ccbfa941fd4e97163249dec.jpg

20080210-062446.jpg.c0608512a7fabcc195077bcf078bf1fb.jpg

We are staying at the Howard Johnson. The cheapest I found & not on the seawall. It's right off of I45 & just up the street from the terminal. For just staying the night & leaving for a cruise the next day I can't see spending $100 or more for a hotel. HoJo was $69.

We are staying at the Howard Johnson. The cheapest I found & not on the seawall. It's right off of I45 & just up the street from the terminal. For just staying the night & leaving for a cruise the next day I can't see spending $100 or more for a hotel. HoJo was $69.

Our family of nine will be staying there for our Sept. 6 cruise. We will be arriving late and sailing the next day. I couldn't justify spending a lot of money for a one-nighter either. Especially since we will need three rooms AND we are also paying for the cruise. I hope we made a good decision. There were some okay reviews and some not-so-okay reviews on this HoJo. Be sure to post a review on your return!

We have always stayed at the Best Western Beachfront on Seawall Blvd. It is nice, clean, coffee makers in the room, continental breakfast included, and free cruise parking but no shuttle. It is right across the street from the gulf and next door to a Kroger Signature store, and 3 blocks or so from Walmart. DH walked to Walmart one night. However, if there is something big going on in Galveston such as their Mardi Gras, then all hotels/motels triple their prices. They do take numerous discounts such as AAA, AARP, Military, etc. Be sure to ask for the best discount. Here are a couple of pictures.

47b7d729b3127ccebbeb10cd45c800000056100QZNGrZm3bsR

View from our room:

47b7d729b3127ccebbeb116e84c300000036100QZNGrZm3bsR

galveston.com sometimes has great prices, sometimes not. The 2 night minimum is fairly common in the summer. Also, I do not recomment the Flagship at all! There are also less expensive places north of Galveston that you might want to look at too. Kemah is a fun area for kids with the boardwalk.

You may try La Quinta Inn & Suites Galveston 8710 Seawall Blvd Galveston, TX 77554. They have a shuttle from there to the pier and back. I don’t know what they charge for this service but the hotel is nice and their rates are usually reasonable.

If you were going to park at the pier I would use Light House http://www.lighthouseparking.org. We parked there in March when we went on our last cruise. They transport you and your luggage to and from the pier and there is someone to help with the bags.

• 2 weeks later...
Summer prices in Galveston are high and usually require two night minimum stays.:(

another alternative are the Clear Lake area hotels

www.clearlakehotels.com

Txskier, I notice you're from League City. My great-uncle and his family are from there. Uncle Elmer retired from NASA and one of his sons was a cop in the area. Unfortunately we lost Uncle Elmer and his wife, Aunt Vera, during the traffic jams after Rita.

Txskier, I notice you're from League City. My great-uncle and his family are from there. Uncle Elmer retired from NASA and one of his sons was a cop in the area. .

Is his son still a cop in the area? My brother is a League City cop

We've stayed at the Ramada Limited a couple of times. Across the street from the Seawall, to the West can walk to the Spot for Happy Hour to the east can walk to Millers Landing GREAT food even better prices. :) It's also right next to a Wendy's. Have stayed at a couple other places but like the location of the Ramada to the beach as we usually add a couple extra days before the Cruise for a little R&R to really get in the Cruisin' mood. :p And after an 8 hr drive down it's nice to just relax a day or so. I think most of the hotels on the seawall that are "chain" hotels are showing a bit wear and tear but as busy as they are in the summer and all year long with the Cruisers' I'm not surprised. Not a lot of quiet time to spruce things up. :o But the staff everywhere we've stayed has always been very friendy.

Is his son still a cop in the area? My brother is a League City cop

No, I believe Price has moved from the area.

I also met another League City officer working at the terminal after our last Conquest cruise.

Archived