Celebrity for family?

oavcech95

Also, I knew that it was only a matter of time before Celebrity (and all other cruise lines) would figure a way of monetizing the children's program. By adding a few perks (such behind the scenes tours, costumes), re-branding existing programs and offering unlimited time at the Fun Factory (including premium $$ hours), Celebrity has created a program called VIP. In our cruise, they wanted $220usd per child for this program - which was absurdly overpriced. We did not sign up our daughter. The fact that only 9 children out of the 400+ children on board signed up for the program speaks loud and clear.

I just wanted to point something important out that the reviewer left out.

If you don't sign your child up as a VIP, you are charged hourly for the evening sitting and for meals. It adds up quickly (sorry, I don't remember the exact costs but they're easy to find out). It really depends on how much your child will use it and when. I would say that most of the children were signed up for it because in the long run, it saved money.

It did kind of bug me that we had to pay extra, and that it was so steep, but it was worth in our case.

Call Celebrity for the details. I don't think I paid $ 200 for the VIP pass for a 12 night cruise but it may have gone up. I thought we paid more like $120 but perhaps I am wrong or the price went up since last summer.

It is only good if you know that your child is going to stay onboard most port days, go to the kids meals and late night babysitting. Otherwise don't do it.

Oh now I´m understanding, so for all the activities like parties and games you need to pay. Do you really think that I should buy that, because for my daughter will be good, but for my son not really.

So how much it is in total and per hour.

We traveled to Bermuda on Mercury's sister ship in 06. (I never can remember the name of that ship). This is a smaller ship and the Fun Factory room was really small. My boys were 11 and almost 5. Their was no VIP Program on the ship.

Our cruise had 2 staffers for my younger son's age group and 2 for the older one as well. Like most lines they had an itinerary for the day. The older kids would meet at the buffet and were old enough to check themselves in and out of the program. The younger kids started in the Playroom but then went on various outings (parades, swimming in the pool, crafts, etc.) There was a 3rd group in the middle but I didn't pay much attention to that one. For that particular cruise I know that they were combining age groups because they didn't have that many kids. 8 to 10 in my older son's group, 10 to 15 in the younger ones. It was the end of May/early June.

The club closed abt. 8 pm (whenever the first stage show finished) and for 1 hour at meal times. On formal nights you could pay extra to have the children eat at the club. There were also "Pajama Parties" on certain evenings for a fee. Our boys had one formal night with us and then one at the kids club.

There was also a program where the kids could stay on board the ship if you want to disembark on your own. I can't remember if their was a fee or not. I didn't use the service so I can't comment on that.

The boys loved the program. When given the option to do stuff with us or go to the playroom they went every time.

Can't comment on Mercury but have sailed on Galaxy, Millenium 2x, and Constellation.

The program hours are as follows....

Closed, except for orientation, on day of embarkation.

9Am-10PM daily free of charge (except for the dinner at 6PM, which is $ 6 per child).

10PM-1AM for a fee of $ 6 per hour.

On port days, they ask that you sign them up the day before if you plan to leave them onboard while in port. This way they know how many counselors must remain onboard.

Celebrity has the best program at sea. I have tried Carnival, NCL, Royal, Princess, Disney and Cunard and my son and I both like Celebrity the best. Great program with wonderful caring counselors.

Let's give you a good run down based on our 7 night Alaska cruise out of Seattle last week.

At sea days -

9am - noon - kids activities ALL FREE

noon - 2pm - you need to pick up your kids for lunch and then you can drop them off again during this time period for quiet play, unless you arrange for X to feed them if so, $6 per hour per child

2 - 5pm - kids activities ALL FREE

5 -7pm - same as the lunch time period

7 - 10pm - kids activities ALL FREE

10pm - 1am - Slumber party $6 per hour per child

If you used X club to the max on this particular at sea day, you would have to pay $42 per child for a total of 7 hours.

Port days

noon - 2pm - CLOSED unless you sign up for the lunch party $6per child per hour

5 -7pm - CLOSED unless you sign up for the dinner party $6per child per hour

If you used X club to the max on this particular port day, you would have to pay $42 per child for a total of 7 hours.

In our case, our kids went into town with us on the port days and we always took them out to feed them lunch or dinner. We did charge $36 in fees as we had them in the "slumber party" 3x for an hour each time (2kids). There is no way, we would have needed or paid for the VIP!

Our sailing only had 82 children from 0-17 and about 40 took advantage of the Fun Factory facilities. My two, DD7 and DS6, had a wonderful time and would choose the Fun Factory over most activities. The did average about 5 hours with the Fun Factory staff most days. Also, with such a small group, my kids had many souvenirs from X. They both received lanyards, keychains, tshirts, and backpacks FREE of CHARGE.

We had a great time! Hope this helps!

Rose

Let's give you a good run down based on our 7 night Alaska cruise out of Seattle last week.

At sea days -

noon - 2pm - you need to pick up your kids for lunch and then you can drop them off again during this time period for quiet play, unless you arrange for X to feed them if so, $6 per hour per child

5 -7pm - same as the lunch time period

If you used X club to the max on this particular at sea day, you would have to pay $42 per child for a total of 7 hours.

Port days

noon - 2pm - CLOSED unless you sign up for the lunch party $6per child per hour

5 -7pm - CLOSED unless you sign up for the dinner party $6per child per hour

If you used X club to the max on this particular port day, you would have to pay $42 per child for a total of 7 hours.

In our case, our kids went into town with us on the port days and we always took them out to feed them lunch or dinner. We did charge $36 in fees as we had them in the "slumber party" 3x for an hour each time (2kids). There is no way, we would have needed or paid for the VIP!

Our sailing only had 82 children from 0-17 and about 40 took advantage of the Fun Factory facilities. My two, DD7 and DS6, had a wonderful time and would choose the Fun Factory over most activities. The did average about 5 hours with the Fun Factory staff most days. Also, with such a small group, my kids had many souvenirs from X. They both received lanyards, keychains, tshirts, and backpacks FREE of CHARGE.

We had a great time! Hope this helps!

Rose

Now that you show me that and first thanks a lot, I know that the most I will use will be maybe some hours at some parties. And how are the parties with disco, pizza ?

Oh and what cool :cool: that they give to your kids all that things, just a little thing how they get it, because from what I read of my cruise there will be like 400 children so please tell me how.

• 1 month later...

Archived