St. Thomas USVI - Which beach to visit??

herb

I just received an email from Godfrey Tours in St. Thomas. After sightseeing around St. Thomas he is willing to drop us off for a 2 hr. beach visit at the beach of our choice.

1. Magens Bay

2. Coki Point

3. Sapphire Beach

Which would you choose, ... why??

Well

If you've never been to St Thomas you have to see Magan's bay at least once. It gets busy on port days but the cove-surrounded-by-the-hills setting and drive there and back is really nice. It's sheltered if you have young ones with you, and lots of services readily available. Either of the other beaches is a tad more secluded with far less people. For the absolutely nicest beaches you need to get over to St Johns, but that's a bit of a pain and they're not THAT much nicer.

White sand, palm trees, beautiful water, a place to overpay for food and drink - All three have them and all three are really, really nice!

I didn't think St John was that hard to get to, short ferry ride then take a taxi to the beach. I thought the beaches at St John were absolutely beautiful. And the snorkeling was, I thought, much beter there as well. We went to Trunk Bay, but Caneel is a little closer. Both are some of the most beautiful beaches I've seen.

Terri

well, Godfreys tours IS NOT going to drop u at the ferry. There will not be enough time so dont even try it. We choose Coki. My lil girl was 5 she could swim, and she wanted to snorkle. I brought a mask just for her But they have masks for everyone else to rent. They will also give you a big dog biscuit to get the fish excited. It was awesome!! I would do it all over again. We brought underwater cameras and took some great pics of the fish swarming all over her. she loved it. They have the BEST, I mean the Best.. fresh Mango daquari I have ever tasted. They serve you right on the beach. Ya gotta try it! U will have an awesome time at Coki!

Susan

oh yea, at coki they have reef rocks right off the beach, and it is not that deep. beautiful sandy beach.

Herb,

We went to St. Thomas last year, and used Godfrey. The man was excellent, very courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. But, trust me, you will end up at the beach he wants you to go to. Every time I read the reviews of trips to St. Thomas, I laugh when we come to the beach and Godfrey. On our trip, we were told that we had our choice of beaches, with Coki and Megan's being pushed. And then told that there is a $3.00 per person charge for Megan's, "whether you are there for one day, one hour or one minute." This is due to the fact that it was a private beach, given over to the government, and the $3.00 is for maintenance. And the water is crystal clear at Megan's, but twice as clear at Coki. Every body chose Coki.

Reading subsequent reviews, I noticed that on one, everyone "chose" Megan's Bay, and on another, they all "chose" Sapphire Beach. He seems to be very fair to all the areas.

And I'm sure if you ask, he'll take you to the other beaches, but he was very skillful at making us think we made up our minds (there were 4 of us) about Coki Beach.

Coki beach was beautiful, but the dressing rooms were filthy. Its a narrow beach. The fish come right up to you to be fed, so bring dog biscuits, or bread with you. We didn't know about this, but someone gave us dog biscuits. The swimming area goes to about 80 feet from shore, and I went out all the way, and could still see the bottom. I didn't go snorkeling, and I didn't eat at the beach, but the food looked very good.

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you go, if you don't let the little things get you down.

Have fun

Larry

We did the snuba at Coki Beach and it was great! My 11 yr old went deeper and did better than I did and had a blast. To say the least,, I want to go to St. Thomas and never come home.

Have a great time. Relax. It will all work out and you will have a great time.

My vote is for Coki Beach! Very good snorkeling actually easier than Trunk Bay to get out and see lots of fish! Get off the ship early and grab a cab to the beach and you will beat any crowds. Change rooms are very basic but snorkeling and drinks are great. Anyone know if the "mailman" is still serving drinks at Coki?

Just back and Godfrey was GREAT..

You will not be disapointed.... But we went to sapphire beach and it was too rocky.. GO to COKI beach it looked like the best time.

Wear your swimsuit and a pair of shorts take your beach shoes and a towel, that is all you will really need. Anything that you buy in St Thomas, he will lock it up in his cab. Everything will be safe. What a nice man and he is Terrific. I would do his tour again in a Heartbeat.....

Have a great Cruise, You will enjoy the Destiny........................

undefined

Okay I too used Godfrey. He presented us with the options of all three. He actually took one group to Sapphire and one group to Coki Beach. He said and I read the Maegan's Bay was the better beach. For us, he seemed not to lean to one or the other but gave suggestions based on what people wanted to do like which beach was best for snorkeling, etc

Godfrey is great and trust knows a lot about the islands--especially hurricane history

We have never gone snorkeling before, but it doesn't sound that difficult. Can you rent snorkel equipment including vests at all three beaches?? Or would it be best for us to book a tour that includes snorkellessons? I have read so much great stuff about Godfrey's and want to book with him, but I also want to snorkel. Suggestions?

I'm using Godfrey in about 1 1/2 weeks and plan on Megan's Bay. I've been doing alot of research on the POC boards and that's the conclusion that's best for us at least. Never been to any of the beaches on St. Thomas as we did the Champagne Catarmaran trip to St. John on our Eastern itinerary.

:) Hi!

I will be in St. Thomas in January on the Destiny, and can't wait!

I spent a week on a land vacation at Sapphire Beach in August and absolutely loved it!! The center part of the beach near the water sports center is soft sand. As you stand on the beach looking toward the water, the reef is on your right, and Prettyklip point extends out into the water. If you swim out to the end of the point, the snorkeling is great. On the far side of the point it is rougher and rockier, but the coral is beautiful.

We did visit Coral world and Coki Beach, but found it more crowded and not as clean as Sapphire. DH and kids snorkeled at Coki, they thought it was ok but not great. Maybe it was just the day- we were getting tired.

I only saw Magen's Bay from Mountaintop. It is breathtakingingly beautiful, but cannot comment on the beach experience.

When I'm there in January, I will probably to back to Sapphire, unless I go to St. John. I had a lot more time to explore Sapphire, so maybe that's why I liked it best.

Have fun, whatever you decide. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices!

Shelley :D

Archived