real diff. Gem BA vs AF

criscruise

So we recieved the upsell call. We sailing on the Gem in May.

Changed our cabin from deck 10 BA balcony to deck 11 AF mini-suite. Looking on NCL Gem site there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two. We were actually in a better/midship location on deck 10 with balcony.

Now if Freestyle 2.0 is actually fully implemented, then there are the couple of extra perks for a mini, but can anyone tell me if there is really a difference in these 2 catagories?

TA says the baths are the same. NCL site shows the renderings of the cabins as identical. hmmm I can't keep jumping back and forth, I may end up with no cabin. :eek:

Really just excited and happy to be going. Hope my aft cabin will be ok.

Thanks.

Usually mini-suites are larger than balcony cabins. They include a bath tub in the bath room, and a full size sofa in the cabin. Mini-suites usually have a curtain available to divide the bed from the sitting area. Balcony cabins only have showers in the bath room, and a smaller love chair sized sofa in the cabin, and don't have a curtain for dividing the cabin.

Here's some numbers for proof. These numbers hold true for the Norwegian Star, Dawn, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, and Gem.

Mini-Suite is size at 229 sq. ft. with a balcony of 54 sq. ft.

Balcony is size at 166 sq. ft. with a balcony of 37 sq. ft.

Differences being 63 sq. ft. and 17 sq. ft.

Generally, give or take a few inches, balcony cabins are ~8 ft. wide, and ~20 ft. long; mini suites are ~10 ft. wide and ~23 ft. long.

If you're sailing with more than two people per cabin, the extra space in a mini suite comes in handy to avoid constantly bumping into one another. But with just two per cabin, the extra space isn't required. Whether you require a dividing curtain or bath tub vs a shower is a personal choice.

Changed our cabin from deck 10 BA balcony to deck 11 AF mini-suite. Looking on NCL Gem site there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two. We were actually in a better/midship location on deck 10 with balcony.

Now if Freestyle 2.0 is actually fully implemented, then there are the couple of extra perks for a mini, but can anyone tell me if there is really a difference in these 2 catagories?

TA says the baths are the same. NCL site shows the renderings of the cabins as identical. hmmm I can't keep jumping back and forth, I may end up with no cabin. :eek:

Thanks.

The additional square footage will definitely be noticeable.

In an AF mini-suite you will have a larger bathroom, more cabin space and a larger balcony. If the upsell is a good price then do it.

Take care,

Mike

Thanks.

AF mini suite is 234 sq. ft. and balcony is 54 sq. ft.

BA cabin is 162 is 38

In the AF you have a shower and a tub providing that they haven't given u a handicap suite.

I was on the Gem 3 weeks ago and was in an AF. It is worth it. The balcony is noticeably larger and the privacy divider seems better. The bathroom is bigger, couch, etc. I agree that if the price is right you should do it. =)

We were in a mini-suite aft and now we are spoiled.The view from the aft is great. We are going on the Spirit in Aug and disappointed we can't get aft. Even though the Great Outdoors is right above you there is no noise. The bathroom is bigger and the sitting area is bigger. It's very comfortable.

Thanks for all the replies. My TA did say it was larger square footage. The upgrade fee wasn't too bad. We're going to take it.

One place on the NCL site was listing the BA as having a separate shower and bath. Not really that big a deal to me, but the extra space will be nice. We are not completely aft, just a few cabins up from very back. I think it should be ok.

Do any of you know if Gem is up to Freestyle 2.0 yet? The bottle of champagne will be nice if they are there yet.:p

Thanks for the help.

We loved our AF enough that we booked another one for January on the Gem. Also love the AFT location on deck 11 as it's one floor down from the buffet, so it was easy to bring food back to the room and have breakfast on the balcony.

A nice way to begin the day!

Loved that there was the curtain separating the sleeping area from the sitting area as DH and I are on slightly different sleep schedules.

Also loved having the tub. It's always nice to have the extra space.

I'm sure you'll love your upgrade!

Archived