Kodiak Island and Floatplanes and June

renroc13

The only way to see the Kodiaks is on a flight plane. I have read that the bears will be clamming before the salmon run in May and June. I would love to see them...a lifetime dream but fear the planes. We have been on several helicoptors in Alaska and Hawaii and I have flown seaplanes from Miami to the Caribbean but find the older I get the more anxious I become. Has anyone done the floatplane thing???

Karen

• 1 month later...

Could someone give a recommendation on a good reasonable tour company that goes to Kodiak?

Can we get a tour out of Anchorage or would Whittier be better?

Can we stay on the island?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. We will be in anchorage Aug. 6-8 after our Carnival northbound cruise.

You need to fly on a jet plane to get from Anchorage to Kodiak. With weather issues (there are always weather issues for Kodiak) flights are often delayed or cancelled. They are also expensive.

Any float plane trips you might want to take from Kodiak will also have the same weather limitations. I would not fly on a jet to Kodiak just to hope to fly on a tour plane to see bears.

I've waited days to get off Kodiak when the weather was poor. This can make havoc out of a travel schedule when you have a cruise to board or flights home that you have to make.

Is the OP on a cruise that stops in Kodiak or just wants to see "Kodiak" bears???? I ask because the next post wants a tour out of Anchorage (forget Whittier)

There really isn't much difference between the Kodiak bears and the bears in the Katmai. Both are fish eaters. The Kodiaks are slightly larger than the Katmai bears, but you would be hard pressed to see the difference. The Denali bears are smaller as their principal diet is berries/grasses and not so much fish.

When the OP answers the question, correct answers can be given.

Getting to Kodiak JUST to see bears is a waste of time. As PennyAgain posted, the flights to Kodiak can be a real mess. IF you really want to go to Kodiak other than on a cruise ship, somehow get to Homer (driving is easiest and cheapest) and take the ferry.

The ferry run can be wicked! I've seen it so rough that water ran across the passenger decks. I don't get sea sick, but as I am now an old woman, the risk of falling is too great. The last thing I need is a broken hip!

The ferry run can be wicked! I've seen it so rough that water ran across the passenger decks. I don't get sea sick, but as I am now an old woman, the risk of falling is too great. The last thing I need is a broken hip!

I LOVE the ferry out of Homer. Took it to Valdez while DH was fishing in Kodiak. And both of us took it to Dutch Harbor out of Homer. THAT was a rough trip. Never been seasick in my life, but it almost happened that trip.

The ferry is NOT for everyone. But again, going to Kodiak JUST to see the bears is a waste of time AND money.

There are private float plane charters available for bear viewing on kodiak...we actually considered this option for July but opted to rent a car instead and do a little exploring on our own. Kodiak and Valdez are the two ports we are most excited about (well perhaps Sitka as well).

Hope our sailing is not quite as exciting as the ferry ride...initial reports from the first sailing this season were encouraging, however, with reports of calm seas and smooth sailing.

Archived