Mazatlan, PV, and Cabo on our own

wendyp247

We generally like to see ports on our own. Any suggestions for walking tours or doing our own city tours in any of these cities. I saw a thread on walking tours in these ports but now I can't locate it. Is it safe to take cabs for city tours? We've done this all over the Caribbean but have never been to Mexico.

How about shopping. What does each of the ports offer?

Taxis are safe in all three cities. Most of what'shappening in Cabo is within walking distance of the dock where the tenders dock. If you like exploring on your own, I strongly recommend a taxi to San Jose Del Cabo, about a half hour away. This is a charming and authentic Mexican village. Some good silver shopping, an interesting church and town square.

Mazatlan's main tourist area is a taxi ride away from the port area. We did not go there last time as we went to Stone Island for a tour of the Mangrove swamps. This was very interesting. ON our next trip to Mazatlan we intend to go into the city.

PV is really interesting. The main section of town is a short taxi ride away, and is excellent for walking and shopping. It is also a great place to park your self at a Palapas restaurant on the beach and while away the after noon with cold cervezas. This was my second favorite port in Mexico. Unfortunately, your itinerary will not have you calling on Zihuatenajo, one of my favorite spots that I've been to on any continentl.

Enjoy your voyage, we are doing the same itinerary in November.

I second the suggestion for going to San Jose del Cabo. It is a very charming town, very walkable, with a beautiful church and some nice shops. We had lunch there at the Tropicana, which was a lovely restaurant with very good food. Cabo San Lucas is much more frenetic, and, having done it once, we decided to go elsewhere on our most recent visit.

In PV, I love the malecon, with its lovely sculptures, and it is a short walk to the church and the mercado.

Mazatlan also has a nice malecon, and the cliff divers are an experience.

I can only comment on PV which I discovered on a MR cruise then went back this year for 1 week to an AI. You can take the Centro bus for 5.50 pesos to Rio Cuale then walk around the flea market, down beside the river(which had a couple of swinging bridges over it) to the Malecon. The Malecon has the sand sculptures & regular sculptures plus down by Hotel Rosita there's a pole where the "Flyers" perform sometimes around 11 a.m. It's a great place & everything is in a small area downtown.

~Jo~ :)

In Mazatlan, we would like to go down to the Golden Zone and visit the Playa Mazatlan hotel, where we honeymooned 36 years ago. But, we were warned 3 years ago not to go off on our own in a taxi, or we'd get driven everywhere but where we want to go. Is that not true? We've considered taking the bus

Archived