Santorini Volcanic Hot Springs?

We will be sailing on the Azamara Quest on June 21st for 14 days and disembarking in Rome. We have been Santorini once in 2006 on a Celebrity cruise and was one of our favorite (if not favorite) ports. We spent time in Oia (an absolute must) and at one of the beaches with black sand, as well as time in Fira. While we would love to go back to Oia, the ship is offering a tour to the volcano Hot Springs with wine tasting.

We would sail to the lava islet of Nea Kameni and then climb up to the cater. After descending back to the boat we will sail to the thermal springs of Palea Kameni. We will be able to swim for approximately 30 minutes in the "green sulpher" waters. While I like the idea of warm waters, I am not sure about the green (particularly is it is murky) and I am wondering about the smell from the sulpher. Anyway, has anyone taken a similar excursion, and did you enjoy it.

Oia was the highlight of our last Med. cruise, and while I would like to visit again on this cruise, it may be nice to do something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We uses Santorini private tours last cruise and were very pleased.

However, is we opt not to take the Volcanic Hot Springs tour, we may just rent a car and drive to Oia and spend the day.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

The tour you described (without the wine) we took by going ashore and paying 18E each for a tour boat out to the volcano (where the "park service" charged 2E entrance) and hiked to the top. We were given free time to roam a bit and met back at the boat where we boarded a wooded ship that took us to the inlet. The "green" is from the slim around the springs. Many just swam around the boat-but in April it was COLD! The tour lasted from 10am to ~2:30 pm. (total cost 20E each) and left time to go up the cable cars (if it had not been so windy). There were 3-4 vendors all selling similar trips or longer ones including Oia (but our ship was to sail earlier so we could not take the 9:30-4:45 triPp for 25E). Check cruisecaldotcom to see how packed the port will be on your day.

We did this tour through Celebrity in 2006. We hiked the volcano and then sailed to the hot springs. When you first get in the water, you are a good distance away from the hot springs. The water is extremely cold. The hot springs felt wonderful, but it was a difficult swim, against the current. The green slime wasn't really a cure-all for anything. There was a smell, but it did not permeate. Rinsing out our swimwear got rid of the smell.

There was one problem--in the tour description they had indicated that life jackets would be available. When we got to the hot springs, they only wanted to give life jackets to the children on board. Luckily, we had the papers with the description in our bag. After showing it to them, they gave the rest of us life jackets too. We felt more comfortable with them on, especially with the strong currents.

Dear Cruiser 429 and Cruise4UsNow,

Thank you both for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it. Glad to know about the possibility of strong currents. Our children who are 12 and 14 will be with us and I think we may skip this due to safety concerns. I am sure with life jackets things would be fine, but we LOVED Oia so much I think we may head there for a nice lunch with probably the prettiest views I have ever experienced. (the green slim part doesn't have a whole lot of appeal either LOL)

Thanks again, the information was very informative! These boards and those that post are terrific and make planning so much easier.

Happy Sailing,

Nancy

Archived