Cheaper hotels near Galveston

lovebug33

Okay, everything in Galveston is 180 bucks and a two night stay. Is there anywhere semi-near Galveston that isn't more than 80 bucks a night? I think we are just going to spend the money and rent a car instead of dealing with the transfer from Carnival. Also, is the NASA space center worth the money? We aren't leaving until 7:30 on our last day in Texas, so we thought we might go there. TIA!

... Also, is the NASA space center worth the money?...

I think so. Click here http://www.spacecenter.org/ for info on Space Center Houston. It is the Official Visitors Center of NASA's Johnson Space Center, which is the home of astronaut training and Mission Control.

I hope you will enjoy your trip to Texas!

Kat 50.gif

At the exit for Texas City just north of Galveston by the Mall of the Mainland are four hotels--Fairfield Suites, Hampton Inn, Best Western and Holiday Inn Express. The Holiday Inn Express just opened in November 2007, and the Best Western is only about 1-2 years old. The other hotels also look like they're well kept. You should be able to get a room at any of those properties for under $100/night. It's about 20 minutes from there to the cruise terminal.

There are LOTS of motels in the Clear Lake/NASA area to choose from. As an earlier poster indicated you can try the clearlakehotels.com website (it seemed a bit "cranky" to me) or just check directly with the websites of the various chains. Most addresses should be on Bay Area Blvd, Texas Avenue in Webster, and/or NASA Parkway (AKA NASA Road #1). Most of the places are new/fairly and all are in okay locations so you might try Priceline if you are comfortable with bidding. Someone earlier got the Residence Inn on Bay Area Blvd. for a really good price using Priceline or Hotwire.

Definately take a look at the ClearLake/Webster area.There are alot of restaurants and shopping centers,all near the interstate. The good thing is that the hotels are just enough off of I45 to be quiet, but close enough that you are not going off your path to Galveston.We stayed at the Comfort Suites there and were very pleased.Galveston will be about 30 minutes from there. Have a great cruise.

If you're thinking about going to NASA, then consider the Days Inn at the NASA Rd exit in Webster.

We stayed there this past January and are going to stay again this September. We got a king room for about $60-65. I say a room, but to me it was a mini suite. We had a small sitting area with a counter/kitchen area with a microwave and under-counter fridge. Also the bath sink/vanity area wrapped around two sides of its area with two walls of mirrors, also a whirlpool tub.

I took lots of pictures of the room when we checked in, I'll try to get them uploaded and posted later on this afternoon.

I'd forgotten that we'd taken these pictures as we were leaving in the morning, not as we'd arrived. Please excuse our mess. :o

It was a very nice and quiet motel, the staff made us feel very welcome and we were sent on our way with a rather decent continental breakfast. Our room was on the ground floor with an outside entrance so we were able to park right outside of our room.

The vanity area

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/russjackieb/Days%20Inn/Vanity1.jpg

King room

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u185/russjackieb/Days%20Inn/KingRoom.jpg

You're very welcome :)

I believe a family runs this motel and live on site. I met two brothers who worked the front desk; they were so friendly and eager to please. They were always concerned that we were happy with our stay.

Remember it takes a good half hour to get to the island from there, longer if the traffic's very heavy. So be sure to give yourselves plenty of time to get to the terminal.

• 3 months later...

We are staying at the Hilton NASA if you book online and pay up front its only $88 a night and all rooms are lake view and then just a short drive to the cruise the next day. :D I just read so many bad reviews from various sites about the hotels around Galveston. Granite they say "recently" renovated, but you have to figure say 2000 cruisers a week sleep in them how new is that renovation going to stay? :confused:

Archived