Sd II 4/13-20

maryella

Finally had a moment to sit and put my thoughts together on our first voyage on SD last week. In a nutshell it was a great trip-----with teenaged daughters and all. The food was fantastic and the service as well. The waiters were so friendly and helpful. Every morning they asked where the "girls" were. Sleeping in and very hard to drag out of their cabins. The weather was perfect for all our 11 nights in the Caribbean. We truly enjoyed the small ship atmosphere where we probley talked to 90% of the passengers. A big HI to Cammien and her husband. They were the first to say hi and we enjoyed talking to both of them throughout the trip. The demographics were about 25% European and the same amount being "older" passengers. A few young couples but mostly "middle aged" couples.

We stayed two nights precruise at the Ritz Carlton San Juan on the club level. It was the perfect spot to chill and we did not leave the property. It was a short 15 minute drive ($19) to the pier. Great stay. We also stayed two nights post cruise in Barbados as we had never been there before. We stayed at the Sandpiper Resort and it was lovely. Enjoyed Barbados and we have to get back to explore it further.

The ports of call on the ship were very interesting as we had never explored any of them besides St Barths. On Bequia we took a cab tour of the island and spent the afternoon on a lovely beach where we rented some chairs and sampled the local rum punch. On St Barths we rented a car for two days and explored the island stopping to spend time on both Flamands and St Jean Bay (where we had lunch the second day). The other ports we just walked and did the beach thing. Most times we were eager to get back to the ship where like Cammien we enjoyed sitting in the pool drinking and talking. My daughters enjoyed the marina where they rode the banana boat several times, water skied (with the patient staff) and jet skied. They had a ball and they were the only kids on board (sorry shouldnt call them kids anymore).

The only down side to the trip were the seas. We took Bonine every night of the trip (the first night we took two) and we really felt the seas three nights. The first morning as we were still motoring from SJ to St Barths it was 10:30am and I couldnt get out of bed I felt so ill. I dont care what anyone else says-----this ship is small and I think that really makes a difference when the swells are large. It was not pleasant. I would have preferred less sailing and more time in the ports. We really covered a lot of ground. Unfortunately that itinerary was the one we had to go with because of the school vacation week. The other disappointment was the cabin. I knew it would be small but it was smaller than a river boat cruise we took 2 summers ago on the Danube. The port holes made it feel very claustraphobic and dark. The bathroom was the size of a telephone booth---literally 2x3. We are not big people (I am 5'1") at all and only one person at a time could be in there. You had to sit sideways on the toilet as well----it was very tight. Now I know why everyone says they dont spend much time in their cabin.

I used the gym every morning or until I started to feel queasy on the threadmill. A great surprise and I really enjoyed looking at the seas while working out. We all had spa treatments and they were wonderful as well. I took DJ's suggestion and booked a Thai massage on the outdoor deck. It was heaven. My daughter had her first massage and loved it too.

We were lucky in that we got to eat outdoors three nights---we really enjoyed that. Loved the fast and easy breakfasts and lunches where you could serve yourself on a buffet and then order the entree part of your breakfast and lunch.

When we were leaving we felt we had to leave something for the crew even though "tips are included". So we left envelopes at the Concierge for all the waiters we had and the wine steward (we ordered off the wine menu several nights) and our housekeeper. They all went above and beyond.

It really was the perfect type of trip that we enjoy when we travel and my daughters said they would love to go again "only if the seas were calm".

We head out this summer on a trip to the Med aboard the Crystal Serenity. I will be curious to see how different the motion will be on this larger ship. We are really not sailors at heart so it was strange that this year we are doing two cruises (we have only done 2 large cruise ships in the past). I am glad that we got to experience SD. I guess there is no guarantee about the seas but the four of us had a wonderful time and would consider traveling on SD in the future.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Maryella!

I'm glad that you enjoyed the al fresco Thai masage:D

Sounds like you and your family had a great trip despite the motion in the ocean.

As Jim Avery has mentioned in a couple of posts, the waters in the Caribbean seemed to be much more active this year (meaning larger seas than normal).

I hope that you will do a Seadream/Crystal comparison or post here to let us know when your Crystal review is complete!

Hi maryella!

It's great to hear from you and to read your thoughts on our voyage. DH & I really enjoyed getting to you know you and your family. As I said in a different thread, your DDs are beautiful! You are a lovely family.

Boy, can I sympathize with you on the motion sickness! I think DH & I will be known as the two people who were deathly ill on Deck 6 during our first day. :eek:

I agree with you about the bathrooms. It didn't occur to me that I had to sit sideways on the toilet until I read about it in your post. They are also poorly lit. I remember James, the AD, mentioning that SD2 goes into drydock in October for some spiffing-up. Hopefully, they'll address the lighting, among other things. Regardless, we'll be back onboard for voyage #3 as soon as I can persuade DH. Worked on it yesterday! :D

Hi Cammiem

Yes I forgot about the poor lighting in the cabins but I aslo forgot to mention that our AC worked great (for those that have battled warmer cabins). Freezer level temps which I like at night when I sleep. The beds were very comfortable however we ended up with twins (which is not so bad as my husband snores & twitches at night!!!) but the beds were pretty small for a twin (havent sleep in one since college). If you had a room with a Queen do they just push together the twins or does a whole new bed come into the cabin?

Hi Cammiem

Yes I forgot about the poor lighting in the cabins but I aslo forgot to mention that our AC worked great (for those that have battled warmer cabins). Freezer level temps which I like at night when I sleep. The beds were very comfortable however we ended up with twins (which is not so bad as my husband snores & twitches at night!!!) but the beds were pretty small for a twin (havent sleep in one since college). If you had a room with a Queen do they just push together the twins or does a whole new bed come into the cabin?

I think it's a real queen bed. Very comfortable!

Our AC worked well, too.

...If you had a room with a Queen do they just push together the twins or does a whole new bed come into the cabin?

We've always had a queen ... I thought that they just pushed the twins together but I'm not sure:rolleyes:

Archived