When to apply Amex Reward Points

JaneMP69

I am planning to use my Amex Celebrity Rewards for a cruise in December 2009. I would like to use some for a discount on the cruise and the rest for OBC. I would like to build more points since the cruise is more than a year out so my question is can I just apply my points for the cruise discount just before final payment? Can I then wait to add the OBC closer to the cruise date allowing plenty of time for both transactions?

• 6 months later...

We're on the 11/30 Solstice cruise and want to know which is the best way to redeem the Celebrity AMEX points for OBCs on this cruise: 1) thru the AMEX web site or 2) via the Captain's Club. Is there a lead time involved or are the credits registered to your account soon after you redeem them? :confused:

I can only speak from experience for the OBC. You should apply for it at least 3 weeks prior to sailing. Once you request your OBC, they send you a confirmation, which then has to be given to Celebrity. I had a problem one time when I thought it would be done right away. I didn't allow enough time to receive the confirmation in the mail. The last time, I applied for it about a month beforehand just to be sure. Once you get the confirmation in the mail, it is good for 6 months. Once I got it, I called Celebrity and gave them the confirmation number for the onboard credit and it was applied.

Archived