Does Fantasy always have bad rocking??

CruizinMom2c

We just got off the Fantasy on Monday....and I noticed that this ship rocked the most out of the 3 we have been on. I was just wondering if it was because of the season or does it always rock like that? One of the crew said that the seas to Cozumel are a little more rough? Is that true? I guess on the Conquest we never felt anything since it was a newer/bigger ship.

The rocking didn't bother our trip ...I was only a little sick to my stomach one night...but no big deal after I layed down for a bit. At some points it rocked so bad, that we lost our balance and almost fell a couple of times. Some people that we met on the ship, who were first time cruisers, were in their room a lot due to being sea sick.

We are trying to do a big family trip with all of dh's family next year. All of them but us 3 and my MIL have never been on a cruise. And I would hate for the rocking of the ship to discourage them from cruising again. And we had so much fun on the Fantasy, I would love them to experience that ship with us again.

Thanks,

We cruise the Fantasy last June.

Had no problem to speak of. On the way back from Coz. it did get pretty windy out the last night. Other than that the most rocking we felt was the first night during dinner. That was due to the turns in the river.

The weather in the Gulf is very unpredictable and can push the ships around. There is no way to know very far in advance what the seas will be like.

It is usually always a little rough leaving Cozumel. In the winter time, it is because you are pushing through a cold front as you leave the nice warm weather behind. The seas are always going to be unpredictable. Remember you are but a cork on the ocean.

Dave

I sailed on her in 2006 and it was actually the smoothest cruise I've been on. It's more the weather and water conditions that cause the ship to be rocky. There is only so much that stabilizers can do, the rest is Mother Nature.

I was on the Fantasy in Oct. of 2006 and yes I was doing the two-step most of the time. It didn't bother me at all. But I talked to a lady that had cruised a lot and she said that this was the worst cruise she had ever been on with the rocking and that she had never had been sick before.:eek: I don't get motion sickness so I guess I was safe.

Sailed on her sister ship the Inspiration out of Tampa a few weeks ago. Going out of port was a bit windy and the ship had a little motion. About 10:00 at night it calmed down and the rest of the cruise was as smooth as can be. Also have sailed the Fantasy and Sensation. No real rocking problem....

On the bigger ship thing or idea about smoother....I think it is a misconseption. If the seas are rough or the wind is strong they all move or rock. When a larger ship starts doing it it is worse at times. They are longer, wider and higher. It can amplify the effect.....;)

IMHO, it has a lot to do with the weather, spring time is very windy in the southwest. We had a rough first night on Ecstasy out of Galveston last year. The entire week the winds whipped Texas, our drive down and especially back, the dirt storms (translation = severe winds driving Texas dirt) were terrible. We even lost shingles off the roof of our house in the Dallas area that week.

The rocking and rolling does make you walk like a drunk, think I'll try drinking more next time!!

Diane

A friend who recently cruised said that an engineer told her they are not using the stabilizers because of the cost of fuel. That would explain the rocking. Just another consequence of the gas prices!

Me and DH went on Fantasy in 9/07 going through the river wasn't rocky just made me feel sick if I looked out the window at the trees while I was walking. The day coming back from cozumel was really really bad. DH and I sick all day/night and DH couldn't eat dinner ending up running out of the dining room:eek: . They had evidence of the rocking all over the floor and barf bags everywhere. This time around we are going to get an RX from Dr before leaving to make sure if we have the same experience it will not affect us as much.

Archived