The Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg

crzer1

Depends on your interests. With over 3,000,000 pieces of art you could spend all 3 days there and not see everything.

For some people though a general walk through in 3 hours is enough, for other it is too much and other not enough.

Perhaps decide on what you want to visit in particular?

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/index.html

Our group was scheduled for 4 hours in the Hermitage (that's what we asked for). Honestly, after 2 hours of following our guide around, I had had enough--and I love art museums. The fact that we had to stay with our guide and for the most part could not see the museum at our own speed probably had a lot to do with this.

The next time I go, I am going to spend a few hours each morning in the Hermitage and then go off and do other things for the rest of the day. With a tourguide, you can get early entry into the museum--and it is well worth getting in before they open the doors to the public.

Do your homework before you go and have some idea of what you want to see while you are there.

If you like the impressionists don't miss the "Hidden Treasures" collection they have.

We told our guide we wanted to see the ceremonial (State) rooms and then we had a list of what we wanted to see. We went with Red October and our guide would take us to a collection and then agree to meet us at a central point after 15-30 min. We were then free to wander around the several rooms of the collection at our own pace.

If you let them the guides will cover every object in the palace. Know what you want to see before you get there.

I would also not miss the Golden Rooms for which a reservation and a seperate fee must be paid. Your tour company can arrange it in advance although depending on the crowds we lucked out and there was an opening for an English tour just as we walked up.

We have 3 hours on our schedule with a group of only 8 people and early entrance. It seems that early entrance is the key in order to move around faster and see more.

I used the official website of the Hermitage to select areas that we wished to see while on our private tour (the only way to go). We got the most benefit of our time and energy by good preparation.

The website is www.hermitagemuseum.org

I wish you an amazing trip. We definitely had one.

Fran

Archived