What to do in Progresso?

redhawk94

Doing a beach day in Cozumel, but still have not figured out what to do in Progresso. Am leaning towards just doing a little shopping with the wife and then eating at Le Saint Bonnet for lunch and then hanging out for a little while at Corona Beach drinking a few beers, but could be swayed if people have other suggestions.

Not interested in any kind of Ruins tour or city tour of Meridia, but may do the bus tour of Progresso.

Doing a beach day in Cozumel, but still have not figured out what to do in Progresso. Am leaning towards just doing a little shopping with the wife and then eating at Le Saint Bonnet for lunch and then hanging out for a little while at Corona Beach drinking a few beers, but could be swayed if people have other suggestions.

Not interested in any kind of Ruins tour or city tour of Meridia, but may do the bus tour of Progresso.

We were there a couple of months ago and did almost exactly the same thing you are planning. When the bus from the pier drops you off in town you might also want to consider taking the double decker bus tour of the town. It's only $2.00 and gives you a feel for the layout. Also, I highly recommend Le Saint Bonnet. Really good food.....:D

We did just what you are thinking of doing and had a great time...the shopping area where the bus lets you off is great...got some great souvenirs there...rode the double decker...short and quick...gives you a view of the town...Le Saint Bonnet is an easy walk (though a hot one) from the bus area...and the food was great....we ordered the make your own tacos and a large shrimp cocktail and we had a couple of foo foo drinks and the tab came to $35....not too bad and we couldn't eat it all eventhough the taco tray was for one and you can tell by my picture that I can eat with the best of them....there was a cat that kept meandering through the patio area where we ate, but we have a cat here at home so I wasn't concerned about that....I understand that if you let them know at Le Saint Bonnett where you are sitting on the beach, they will bring it to you there but it was quite windy that day and we didn't want sand in our food...we got that enough growing up in West Texas...Have a great time...Jimmy

Although you can get plenty of tourist stuff at the flea market/busstop, be sure to make a trip through the mercado (market). This place is neat. There are small booths selling all kinds of stuff. This is the only place that I had to get U.S. money changed to pesos to buy a dress. The vendor looked at my money, held it up to a light and shook her head. There was an exchange booth about 2 stores down, so I got change and bought the dress. 80 pesos.

There are small places that serve food. I don't know what it was, but it was very good. Then there is an indoor fish market that will take your breath away (literally), a meat market and if you get on the main drag or Malecon, you may see the egg truck selling eggs by weight. I don't know if it's pounds or kilos, probably kilos, and there is a Dominos Pizza right in the middle of everything. This is really a neat place. Been there 3 times and would like to visit it again.

I just came back from a cruise stopping in Progreso, and I enjoyed simply walking around and observing everything, especially the market. Also, make sure you try some authentic Mexican food. It is a great place to get the real thing at a great price.

I did exactly as you have planned and had a great time. For two of us, we spent about $35 for enchiladas, quite a few beers, and a couple shots of some of the most delicious tequila I have ever tasted. From speaking to others, it seemed that many places along the beach are about the same...very reasonably priced.

One more note, on our way back to the boat, we stopped at one of the Sol bars, just to have another drink. It's small, and a littler more expensive at $3 for a regular-sized Sol, but the bartenders are there to have a great time and make sure you do too. Just watch out for their Mexican Kool-Aid! :D

Have a blast (and a couple cervezas for me!)

Were going to progresso in Dec for the first time...is the shopping the same as in cozumel where you can barter down the prices of stuff??? Also same question for shopping in Meridia?? I know some places in mexico you are expected to deal for a cheaper price, and I've heard there are places where you might insult them if you try...I dont want to insult anyone and I know they make their living selling these things, but my only mexican shopping expeirences have been in tiajuana and cozumel where half the fun is the bartering...so any input from you folks who have been to progresso/meridia would be much appreciated....one more question...how does dollars compare to pesos?? I used to know this, but forgot....thanks :)

Archived