Silly question - potato chips and chocolate bars

leela14

On our last 2 cruises we were craving a simple snack of potato chips or a chocolate bar. It was on RCCL and while the desserts were to die for, there were times when we just wanted to have some junk food. We couldn't find it anywhere on the ship - there were cookies and ice cream galore, but no "junk food".

Does anyone know if you can get a bag of chips or a chocolate bar onboard? We are doing a 2 week Med cruise on the Jade, and I know that I'll have a craving for chips and chocolate.

I guess we can always try to find this off the ship, but it's usually at night and after dinner this craving hits. :-)

Thanks!

On our last 2 cruises we were craving a simple snack of potato chips or a chocolate bar. It was on RCCL and while the desserts were to die for, there were times when we just wanted to have some junk food. We couldn't find it anywhere on the ship - there were cookies and ice cream galore, but no "junk food".

Does anyone know if you can get a bag of chips or a chocolate bar onboard? We are doing a 2 week Med cruise on the Jade, and I know that I'll have a craving for chips and chocolate.

I guess we can always try to find this off the ship, but it's usually at night and after dinner this craving hits. :-)

Thanks!

leela~ I haven't been on the Jade so I can't ansewer your question, but wanted to let you know that you are allowed to bring your own wrapped snacks on the ship. I bring a bunch of indiv'l snack packs of teddy grahams and goldfish for my kids. So if you are not sure what will be available onboard perhaps you can fill a couple of big zip lock bags with small bags of chips, candy bars, etc. Won't take up too much room, cheaper than buying on the ship, and always available for anytime cravings:)

I don't think bringing our own onboard would work. We are driving from Ottawa to Montreal, then flying to Barcelona, staying overnight there, then on to the ship the next day. Any snacks would either be (a) melted and/or crushed to bits after all that travelling, or (b) gone because I already ate it all before I got to the ship. :p

I guess I could try to pick something up in Barcelona, but I could probably just get my fix at any excursion in Europe at that point.

Thanks.

This isn't a perfect solution for you, but you can always order a sandwich through room service. I'm pretty sure that the sandwich order comes with about half a plate of potato chips. Or perhaps you can call room service and simply request the sandwich but hold the sandwich. LOL

Thanks!

This isn't a perfect solution for you, but you can always order a sandwich through room service. I'm pretty sure that the sandwich order comes with about half a plate of potato chips. Or perhaps you can call room service and simply request the sandwich but hold the sandwich. LOL

Johnql.. I had to laugh when I read your response. I am a chip freak. Could eat them all day long instead of meals. On our first NCL cruise on NCL Sun I would do that.. order like 3 sandwiches through room service just to get their chips. Now.. I LOVED their P.B. and J's so I would eat one of them.. but the other two were just for the chips. Finally our butler told me I could just ask for chips if I wanted them. I could have bought Pringles onboard the ship, but not a huge fan of Pringles.. (although there is no such thing as a BAD chip..lol) They also usually have things like peanuts, etc and plenty of chocolate to choose from in the ships store.

I also always wanted to buy local candy and treats in the ports we go to. When in Rome, you know.

Leela14.. is it ok I am a bit green with envy of your Med. Cruise? We have two or three "dream" cruises we want to do in the future. One is the Panama Canal, one is the Med. cruise or maybe Greek Isles and of course I want to do an Australian cruise.

This Med cruise was our dream vacation, believe me, we are so happy and appreciative that we can do it. DH is dying to do a Panama Canal cruise too, hopefully someday we'll do that as well.

I love ordering sandwiches to get chips, that's too funny. I bet you'd get tired of the sandwiches way before the chips. Both my DH and I are "chip-aholics". We try not to have them in the house all the time cause we just inhale them. :eek:

I remember on our last cruise just craving a bag (BIG BAG) of chips and a chocolate bar. If RCCL sold them, I never managed to find them, but I never thought to look in the "general store", I was looking more at the bars and stuff. Now at least I know where to look.

I'll see what yummy junk food I can find off the ship, but from my previous experiences in Europe, I think I can honestly say that no one does junk food better than North America. Well the British to like their "crisps" as well, but that's about it.

Johnql.. I had to laugh when I read your response. I am a chip freak. Could eat them all day long instead of meals. On our first NCL cruise on NCL Sun I would do that.. order like 3 sandwiches through room service just to get their chips. Now.. I LOVED their P.B. and J's so I would eat one of them.. but the other two were just for the chips. Finally our butler told me I could just ask for chips if I wanted them.

I'm glad to hear that it wouldn't be a problem ordering just the chips.

This type of scenario always reminds of the classic Jack Nicholson diner scene in Five Easy Pieces when he wants to order a side order of wheat toast but the waitress won't allow him to order it. So he ends up ordering a chicken sandwich on wheat toast, hold the chicken. Very funny.

Check out the scene thru this link:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/five-easy-pieces-diner-p1.php

Sailed the Jade for the TA, you may order via room service a bowl of chips. I bought chocolate in every port as gifts to bring home. Try some European chocolate this trip.

Chris

Sailed the Jade for the TA, you may order via room service a bowl of chips. I bought chocolate in every port as gifts to bring home. Try some European chocolate this trip.

Chris

Only problem with that for me, Chefcaw, I thought.. now how good a friend or family member would I be if I didn't sample the chocolate before I gave someone it as a gift. Time we got to where we had to pack to come home.. I was like.. Oh.. darn it.. there isn't really enough to bother with packing.. I might as well finish it off.. LOL

What is funny about that to me is.. On a Caribbean cruise once, we bought like ten rum cakes.. wish I could remember the brand name.. but it was in Jamaica... Anyway.. we gave 8 of them out as gifts.. and kept two of them for ourselves. When we finally opened one to eat it, it was the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted. I had to apologize to every one we had given them to as a gift. Thanks goodness it is the thought that counts.

Thanks!

Yes you can, in the gift shop. ;)

Thanks for the info, it's a little thing, but it's a nice thing. I will think of you all as I enjoy my junk food onboard. :p

Mmmmmmm, bowls of potato chips from room service. . . . sweet. Are there a charge for those?

one of the stores should be selling all kinds of junk.....same store that stocks the aspirin and toothpaste. shop early....or late. it may be closed when ship is in port. also you should be able to get lots of packaged junk at the port stops. o.k. to bring it on board UNLESS the thing you get from the ship from the port says it's prohibited....remember: PACKAGED.

Fellow choc-o-holics unite! I was disappointed with the desserts on board.. not enough good chocolate cakey things-- like brownies and cookies. I used to sneak a brownie or chocolate chip cookie from the kid's station on the Dawn!

So... I ALWAYS bring a bag of Hershey Kisses on every trip.

Thanks for the info, it's a little thing, but it's a nice thing. I will think of you all as I enjoy my junk food onboard. :p

Mmmmmmm, bowls of potato chips from room service. . . . sweet. Are there a charge for those?

No charge for chips thru room service. Maybe just a small tip for the delivery person.

Thanks!

Recently, at the office, they had some left over apples from a conference. One of the women started slicing them and putting a plate next to the pretzels, candy, chips. The apple slices are gone before the rest of it. Lemon juice helps keep them from turning brown, and everyone loves the taste. No more candy for us! We were tired of seeing our "bottoms" getting bigger and dimpled, yuck!

Chips and chocolate...I'm there;)

We order from the butler, room service, purchase from the ship's shop and at ports. I even carry some in my carry-on.

Word to the wise...if you love chocolate...do not count on the chocoholic buffet...not real chocolate and no candy....only cake:(

I only go for the champagne in the chocolate rimmed glass:)

Thanks!

Hi -

Once day at lunch in the main dining room I asked the waiter if there were any potato chips and he brought out a huge bowl filled to the top. Don't recall if it was on the Crown or the Spirit......

As for chocolate, you will have plenty at the chocolate buffet!

Enjoy.

hope this thread won't upstage the hot dog thread...but i do like how it's staying alive!

now...what KIND of potato chips do they serve in the dining rooms and buffet? ridges? classic? potato crisps (e.g. pringles)?

let's keep it going!

hope this thread won't upstage the hot dog thread...but i do like how it's staying alive!

now...what KIND of potato chips do they serve in the dining rooms and buffet? ridges? classic? potato crisps (e.g. pringles)?

let's keep it going!

I recall classic chips.

Too funny!!!

I thought that I was the only crazy person in the world who would crave chips and chocolate while on a cruise. I have been known to sneak down to the bar to see if there were any bowls of chips and peanuts available. I have also been known to purchase a SNICKERS bar while in port (Caribbean).

And yes, sadly, I even once took a can of Pringles on-board with me from home. Not a good idea though, because they got pretty shook up and crumbly.

DH and I do the room service trick to get chips too!

Why is it that chips taste sooooo much better on a cruise?

CeleBrat

Archived