Amtrak and luggage

susanema

I need some advice about Amtrak baggage restrictions. We will be leaving from Union Station in DC. The official rules for Amtrak say you are allowed two carry ons, each of which must be no larger than 28x22x14 and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Do they enforce this? The last time I took the train to NY it was only for four days so I only needed two small bags. I'm afraid the three of us will need more luggage space for a week away.

I need some advice about Amtrak baggage restrictions. We will be leaving from Union Station in DC. The official rules for Amtrak say you are allowed two carry ons, each of which must be no larger than 28x22x14 and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Do they enforce this? The last time I took the train to NY it was only for four days so I only needed two small bags. I'm afraid the three of us will need more luggage space for a week away.

If you can't make it 7 days with 100 pounds of luggage per person repack. No different then flying to the port in fact better with most airlines charging for the second bag.

So in reading the details on the link each passenger gets 2 50 pound carry ons plus 3 50 pound checked pieces. That is 250 pounds per person. Somehow I think 3 people can make it with 750 pounds for 7 days. Over 100 pounds a day in clothing that is lot of shoes. :D :D Now they may need two cabs to get to the pier from Penn Station.

Just remember to that between DC and NY, they run the trains like a subway. Doors open and everyone shuffles on and off, there's no help with your bags, you have to be able to manage it all and limited storage area onboard the trains. I use to work for them and I love trains, but the Northeast Corridor trains are better suited for the business traveler who only has one small roll on then someone on vacation with a lot of luggage.

Please remember it is very likely you will have to carry/roll your luggage through at least a couple of different cars before you find a seat if you're travelling coach on Amtrak. The aisles on a train aren't very wide. Once you arrive at NYP, unless you're lucky enough to find a porter you'd better be prepared to schlep said luggage a long, long way. You also need to be prepared to carry said luggage up a flight of stairs or two. I've never found a working elevator/up escalator at NYP. And I invariably wind up on the wrong block and have to schlep everything around the corner anyway. Yes indeed, packing smaller is better. Finding a porter and tipping him well is best of all.

Archived