i know, i'm a dork...

Surbie

There are LOADS of sharks in the Bahamas. It is THE place to go if you want to see sharks on a dive. They do shark feeding dives so you can be sure to seen them up close.

BUT I don't think you have to worry about sharks if you parasail or snorkel.

Someone once told me that after learning to sky dive there's nothing left to fear. Jumping off a perfectly good boat into shark infested waters is kind of the same. Go for it!

Guess that's the only way to break the fear - just go for it! :o

If you're LUCKY you'll see a shark. They're pretty darn shy, and not counting nurse sharks which are over grown cat fish, I've only seen one in 10 years of diving. :( I'm assuming your chances are a lot less. Besides, remember, the best way to outrun a shark is to be faster than your buddy. Pick a slow and chubby one and hang a fish off the back of their swim suit. You'll be fine!

Randall

but are there sharks in the Bahamas? i really want to snorkel and parasail, but i'm worried about sharks! :eek:

Oh, almost forgot, if you're parasailing and see a shark jumping out of the water trying to get at you, make sure you video it on your cell phone or something. These make great YouTube movies. :p And don't land in the water while they're doing it, it hurts. :) Just kidding, couldn't help myself. :D No worries, you'll be fine!

Driving to the airport, or the cruise terminal, now that's scary!

Randall

• 2 weeks later...
but are there sharks in the Bahamas? i really want to snorkel and parasail, but i'm worried about sharks! :eek:

I've done hundreds of Ocean dives and seen sharks in the open water 3 times. If you see them, please let me know where they are truly graceful to watch... from a distance.

I've done hundreds of Ocean dives and seen sharks in the open water 3 times. If you see them, please let me know where they are truly graceful to watch... from a distance.

I don't think we've ever NOT seen them when diving with Stuart Cove in Nassau. We've also seen some while diving in the Abacos. http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

I was just diving in the Bahamas around the Bimini Islands last week. Here is a pic I took to answer to your question:

shark%20pic.jpg

We saw sharks on multiple days. The good part is that they were reef sharks (nice sharks). Just stay away from their food source when feeding and there should be no problem.

However, during one dive a couple of the crew from the boat were free diving/spearfishing. One of them speared a large jack that swam off quite wounded and spewing some blood. He clamied two large Bull Sharks (not nice) came out of the blue and devoured it in seconds. I was diving a wreck while it happened and did not see it. Whether they were really Bull's or not he was visibly shaken by the experience. It did not keep most of us from making a second dive on the same site, however. The reality is they are probably always closer than you think.

IMO, they have less interest in us than we do of them. We are not part of their food chain. As long as we do nothing to confuse their natural instinct (convince them we are sea lions, etc.), get in the way of their normal predatory behavior, of cause them to protect themselves we should be able to share the same waters.

'bob

• 3 weeks later...

The real shark protection is to carry a knife with you and go with a buddy. If you see a shark coming out after the two of you, pull out your knife in defense. Then quickly stab your buddy in the leg and swim like crazy the other way! :D

Seriously though, I have dived with sharks in the Caribbean, South Pacific (no great white sharks though!), Micronesia, Hawaii and Baja and never had a problem. I have a lot of shark pictures. The sharks do not view us as food. They may be intrigued by our size and bubbles but that is about it. Like all wild animals do not try to molest them. We look at each other from a distance and go our separate ways. I have been on shark feeding dives without any problem. However feeding wild animals of any kind is really something we should not be doing and hints of abuse.

I've done many, many ocean dives and only seen a shark twice. What I hate are the huge barricudas that follow you around. They keep their mouths open the whole time and you see their teeth, glistening in the sun. They are very curious and like to follow the divers. However, it's well worth the slight risk to see all that you will see. Go and have a GREAT time!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived