Do I really need a bungee cord?

AandBmom

I absolutely refuse to pack anything that isn't the most necessary items. I use the smallest roll-on-board case for all my travels. If it doesn't fit, I don't need it.

When I want the door open, I prop a balcony chair in there. I don't like the door open all night nor when I'm out of the cabin. Too many bugs - especially when nearing port....and, on one cruise, a couple down the hall ended up with a darned gull in their cabin...who managed to "mess" up quite a bit - and it took the assistance of 2 cabins stewards to finally get it out of the cabin.

I've never found a need for a bungee cord - or the infamous duct tape. Once, when we had a broken zipper on a suitcase, the Pursers desk was happy to loan me a roll of it to make repairs.....

As I recall from the Conquest and HAL Zuiderdam (our only balcony cruises... :( ), the balcony doors stayed open on their own if you opened them all the way. I don't know if that's true on other ships, probably not given all the folks that have different methods of propping open the door.

This has been my experience too on the Conquest class ships I've been on -- the closing mechanism keeps the door open if you open the door fully. I can't say for certain on the Spirit class, but I recall they do not have such a feature and may be interlocked such that the A/C turns off if the door is left open.

Whatever you do, don't open your door to the hallway if you have the balcony door open... otherwise WHHHHOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!

Archived