NZ cruise. Port or Starboard better?

HubbieO

I'm getting ready to book a cruise on Sun Princess for January 2010. Itinerary shows Sydney to Fjordland, Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington,Napire, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands, and back to Sydney. I'm going to book a balcony, and it looks like the port side should be better for Fjordland scenic cruising. Is that correct? How about entering and leaving port?

How is the Sun Princess? My recent experience was on Star Princess last month. I know Sun Princess is a bit smaller and older, but is it comparable?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

I'm getting ready to book a cruise on Sun Princess for January 2010. Itinerary shows Sydney to Fjordland, Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington,Napire, Tauranga, Auckland, Bay of Islands, and back to Sydney. I'm going to book a balcony, and it looks like the port side should be better for Fjordland scenic cruising. Is that correct? How about entering and leaving port?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

Hi there,

Port or Starboard won't matter much while you are actually in the fjords, but Port will definitely be better for the coastal cruising.

We have done this trip three times. Have a great time!

Steve.

We were on the Sapphire March sailing to New Zealand and had a starboard cabin. Sailing out of Sydney affords you a wonderful view of the harbor and the opera house. In most other ports it was hit or miss which side would be facing town. In the fjords you are not there long enough to worry about it and you can see the fjords on both sides of the ship. If you have the chance to do the overnight from Milford Sound to Dunedin, do it! It was great!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived