Vancouver-Chinatown night market

We will be in Vancouver Friday July 4 and Saturday july 5 before our Alaska cruise. I was wondering if Friday or Saturday is a better night for the Chinatown night market? Any bad experiences with the food stalls? My family returned for a trip to China in March and would love to compare it to some that we did there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Vancouver Friday July 4 and Saturday july 5 before our Alaska cruise. I was wondering if Friday or Saturday is a better night for the Chinatown night market? Any bad experiences with the food stalls? My family returned for a trip to China in March and would love to compare it to some that we did there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

It would appear that it is going to operate this year on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. I would suggest that you may want to take a cab from your hotel to Chinatown and back as otherwise you have to walk thru a rather unpleasant area of the city to get to it.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "problem" with food stalls in Chinatown's night market...but the Vancouver Dept of health is very much on the ball with enforcing food handling regulations everywhere in the city. So if that is your concern you have no worries.

Putterdude is correct....take a cab...the neighbourhood that virtually surrounds Chinatown is the poorest neighbourhood in all of Canada...it is dirty...unpleasant.... and sad. It is best for visitors to take a cab into Chinatown at night. Us locals are accustomed to it and wander around freely in that part of town...well most of us do...but it can be an unpleasant experience for visitors.

Enjoy the night market.

They are not exaggerating about the neighborhood between Gastown and Chinatown. It's mostly strung out druggies. I have never seen so many people shooting up in life. It was like being in an outdoor hospital. Advice from a homeless dude who took our picture near the steam powered clock: If you want to walk through the area, act like your crazy. Talk to yourself, flail your arms, occassionally scream. They will leave you alone. Funny but true.

Archived