Pacific Islands visit

We will be visiting Poum , Isle of Pines, Noumea in New caledonia and also Vila in Vanuatu this December. In each port we have approx 9-10 hrs. I am aware of the odd tendering problem so will be very mindful of our time available to explore.

We love to sighsee away from the crowds, we love beautiful scenery, we will hire a driver to get to out of the way places if needed.

We don't wish to do the mainstream tourist stuff although we will jump at the opportunity of beautiful snorkelling with my trusty underwater camera.

All Ideas appreciated, anyone?

Isle of Pines - Beautiful spot for swimming and snorkelling within easy walking distance of the jetty. The locals offer a 45 minute tour for $15 AUD. If you want to hire a car with driver you may be able to do that at the resort close to the jetty.

Vila - Suggest taking a taxi to the cascades for a swim. This place is fantastic. After walking through thick vegetation (jungle?) you come to enormous waterfalls that tumble over a cliff face and fall into a series of rock pools where you can swim. Entry is AUD$20 pp and it is worth every cent.

In Vila you can have a taxi take you on a sightseeing trip around town. You can expect to pay $25 per hour (or as bit more if your bargaining skills are not good).

Also in Vila you could visit Ekasup Cultural Village. The show starts at 9.30am and you could go by taxi.

Poum - Sorry, I can't help you here.:)

As you said you wanted to get away from it and love snorkelling, In Vila try the free ferry across to Irririki, or better still for better snorkelling, get a taxi to Hideaway Island and ferry it across, was free last time I went there, not sure now. There is a sand floor restaurant and bar and rustic accommodation there.

For Isle of Pines, my next visit I am going to try to get to Baie d Oro, it has the beautiful blue swimming hole, probably will have to hire a car, it is near the Le Meridien. I went on www.visitnewcaledonia.com and got sent a folder with maps and heaps of info.

For Noumea next trip we are going to check out Kuendu Beach, it's only 6kms from where the wharf is, on a peninsular, and isnt crowded like Anse Vata and Lemon Bay. You could always take a water taxi over to Ilse d Canards (Duck Island) water taxis are available from Anse Vata beach, apparently there is good snorkelling over there.

I love doing something different from the norm too:)

Chez

xx

Re Poum (aka Emerald Bay, aka Divine Island). On the P&O Cruises, the ship achors in in Emerald Bay, and from there go to Divine Island (5 minute tender ride) and Poum (about 20 minute tender ride).

Since you'll be going on Rhapsody of the Seas, it might be different... But when P&O ships call there you can't actually go to Poum village unless you book a shore tour.

Without a shore tour you can only go ashore to Divine Island - and there's nothing to do there other than swim, walk, snorkle, and enjoy the BBQ on the beach. There's literally nothing else there.

Kym

Without a shore tour you can only go ashore to Divine Island - and there's nothing to do there other than swim, walk, snorkle, and enjoy the BBQ on the beach. There's literally nothing else there.

Kym

sounds like I'd love to just do nothing here!

Is the BBQ run by P&O or by the locals?

C.

Thanks guys, much appreciated, I shall save your ideas.

The on shore excursions are not available on Rhapsody website yet but when they are, i will also use that for idea.

Archived