Rental cars on Moorea?

murphysmum

Hello...

I'd like to rent a car in advance for a day on Moorea in lieu of a ship tour.

Would someone please let me know where the PG tenders to?

I seem to have a choice of rental at the Sheraton, Club Bali Hai, airport or ferry dock. I'm not sure which one would be more convenient.

Thanks in advance for your help.

murphysmum;)

Hi!

Thanks for the information. Did you call AVIS directly or do it on-line.

The on-line AVIS web-site gave me only two options...Viaire Ferry Dock and airport. I read elsewhere that Bali Hai and Sheraton have rental desks.

How did you get a real person to arrange the tender dock delivery for you?

Thanks so much.

murphysmum;)

Ia Orana

Make sure to deal as much as possible with the manager at Avis Moorea ferry docks location : Sandrine.

She is a gem always offering 100% pure customer service + free smiles !

vaiare.avismoorea@mail.pf

Avis has very few cars with Automatic gearboxes, book early !

Meherio

Hello...

Thanks so much.

I'll contact Sandrine via email today.

Very best,

murphysmum;)

We just returned from our trip on the PG and the first day in Moorea we took the first tender at 8:30am and both Avis and Eurocar had booths set up just a short walk from the tender area.

We had no problem renting on the fly and had not pre-booked. Not sure however if you waited later in the day what the results would be but we wanted a full days rental which is why we got on the first tender.

Sure was nice having our own car to go at our own pace. We even parked in the Sheraton parking lot to enjoy a few hours at their beach. Just wish we would have brought our snorkelling equipment with us that day :( .

I was worried about spending the cash on the rental since the next day we had booked the 4x4 tour but we were not disappointed one bit. The tour took us places we NEVER would have taken our little car in....very very very high trek to Magic Mountain but wow what a stunning view! I still remember the tour guide joking "I don't pay for the tires" as he burned rubber getting up that mountain :D

You are going to have a blast and remember take lots of photos. We took around 1000 and it still was not enough :eek:

Hello...

Thanks so much for the helpful information.

It's good to know that we can rent easily right at the tender dock. From everything I've read about Moorea, we'll enjoy the flexible time. You've confirmed my thoughts.

I will remember the camera and take many photos to share at home. Somehow, in a truly beautiful place, the photos usually stay in my head and I can pull them out at will.

This isn't the thread for it, but it would make an interesting topic....the pictures you carry in your head from various trips....all would be varied.

Again, thank you.

murphysmum;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello...

Thank you for the suggestion to contact Sandrine directly at Avis.

I had an immediate email reply from her and she transferred my reservation from the ferry dock to the tender port for the Paul Gauguin. The car was waiting for us, was nearly new, clean and in excellent condition.

For Moorea, especially, I recommend a day's car rental. We enjoyed the scenery, little stops of interest, people we met, crepes we ate, snorkling along the way, and a bit of shopping tossed in. Avis said that it actually takes one hour to drive around the island; we took 7 1/2 and were never bored.

So...Thank you, Meherio and all of you who gave me advice on the rental car situation. I'm grateful for the lovely day.

murphysmum;)

murphysmum,

We are interested in doing the same thing when we arrive in Moorea on the Dawn Princess in October. Do you have any tips about good places to snorkel from the beach? Any other "must-see" or "must-do" things? I've already e-mailed Sandrine about reserving a car; glad to hear it was so successful for you.

konatyme

murphysmum,

We are interested in doing the same thing when we arrive in Moorea on the Dawn Princess in October. Do you have any tips about good places to snorkel from the beach? Any other "must-see" or "must-do" things? I've already e-mailed Sandrine about reserving a car; glad to hear it was so successful for you.

konatyme

Konatyme, are you bringing the Dawn Princess to Oz for us:D

We are booked on her for a January 2009 cruise from Sydney.

Chez

xx

Chez,

Yes, we are, and we're SO excited about the trip! We're looking forward to spending a little time in Oz as well, although I'm sure several days each in Sydney, the Red Centre, and Cairns won't be nearly enough. We'll just have to come back!

Where does your January cruise go?

Konatyme

Konatyme, our cruise in January is for 10 nights and goes to the South Pacific, Noumea, Vila, Lifou, Ouvea, Isle of Pines.

I just had a quick look at your itinerary, wow thats looks fantastic!! I will be cruising some of those ports in under two weeks, my best girlfriend and I leave on 3rd June on the Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess) for 28 days, so excited. leaving hubby at home :( :D

Heres a link to our blog we have started, we are going to update it each day while on board, all our ports and dates are listed there.

www.getjealous.com/ducknchook

Chez

xx

• 10 months later...
Hello...

Thank you for the suggestion to contact Sandrine directly at Avis.

I had an immediate email reply from her and she transferred my reservation from the ferry dock to the tender port for the Paul Gauguin. The car was waiting for us, was nearly new, clean and in excellent condition.

For Moorea, especially, I recommend a day's car rental. We enjoyed the scenery, little stops of interest, people we met, crepes we ate, snorkling along the way, and a bit of shopping tossed in. Avis said that it actually takes one hour to drive around the island; we took 7 1/2 and were never bored.

So...Thank you, Meherio and all of you who gave me advice on the rental car situation. I'm grateful for the lovely day.

murphysmum;)

Did you have to prepay for the Avis car rental on Moorea? I'm a bit leary about e-mailing them my credit card and passport numbers yet hate to take a chance that there will still be cars left when we get to the PG dock.

Ia orana

I would not want to take a chance of not to get a car on the day the cruise ship docks on Moorea. email your info in 2 times or fax to the manager Sandrine your information. For all the guest I have sent to Avis, I have noit heard yet of any breach of security in the handling of the information.

Their fax ( 689) 56 32 62.

Another piece of information that I have shared recently on trip Advisor :

I have for quite a while suggested using Avis on Moorea for the excellent service received, the long stay discount and their new fleet of cars. Some posters have at late indicated lower rates for Albert car rental.

The difference comes in the insurance coverage. Albert car are only covered third party liability. you crash the car, you own a piece of "art" on the island (to be paid for of course).

Avis basic rental has a coverage with a $400 deductible (an additional coverage for no deductible is available too).

Avis car rentals can also be taken on the ferry and are covered for both islands.

Value for the money is not always the least expensive....

Food for thoughts ,

Meherio

Archived