Main dining room V Windjammer V Room service

MICK48DC

Sounds like you're doing RCCL...

If so, the food in the dining room and Windjammer is very similar. Most of the dishes are identical but there are small variations in what is offered. I've experienced mixed offerings with room service. On some ships we were able to order what was being served in the dining room that night. On others we could only order from the room service menu.

Remember that for room service, unless you have a true dining table in your cabin, eating off of a knee high coffee table will not be pleasant!

Windjammer for dinner is better than breakfast or lunch, but it's still a buffet.

The dining room is best (IMO) for both breakfast and dinner!

• 1 month later...

Our kids loved ordering room service, but be forewarned: it takes about 45 minutes to get to you. The only time it took less was on port days. My DH ordered 4 iced teas and asked that they come earlier than the average 45 minutes & was assured that they would, but they didn't (it was like 11pm so we couldn't just run up to the Windjammer).

We LOVED eating in the dining room--we ate there 6 out of 7 nights, and I wish we would have eaten there more for breakfast...kids & DH are not early risers. The Windjammer's breakfast was great. It was so-so the night we didn't eat in the dining room.

I found the dining room food to be much better than the windjammer plus eating in the dining room for dinner is part of the cruise experience. We've met nice guests and staff that way :)

I agree with RDJ - we ate in the dining room as much as possible.

Another option no one has mentioned is to take it out yourself. Then you can go back to your cabin (great if you have a balcony) or out to the pool deck if you can find a table. Eating off a coffee table is no big deal. We always keep our coffee table on the balcony so that the room is less cluttered.

My mother has mobility issues, so we found the Windjammer overwhelming sometimes. Our cabin was by the aft elevators, so it was easy for me to scoot up to 11, grab a big plate of food to share, and be back to the room in less than 10 minutes. This worked particulary well in the morning for a coffee run. The cafe has take out cups which made transporting the hot coffee doable. Otherwise, I would put the coffee in the dining room's plastic cups, which were also easy to carry. You can always keep a set of coffee cups in your room.

Room service is fine, but it was hard for us to pick a particular time in the morning. Either you're up and waiting for the food, or it comes and you are still asleep.

Archived