Last minute rental question - leaving tomorrow

geospyder

Was double checking all the papers and my DW noticed that I have the car rental pick up times the same as the ship's arrival times. Good catch - especially since I have no idea what grace time we have and also how long it takes to get off the ship. I still have a few hours to modify the reservations so here is the big question...

What is a reasonable (allowing time for breakfast and departing the ship) time for pickup for the following ship's arrival times:

Kauai - 8am

Hilo - 9am

Kona - 8am

Maui - 8am

Oahu - 7am (last day)

You can get off the ship really quickly when it docks, but tendering is slow.

Last day really depends. There's no immigration/customs to deal with so it's not bad... you can walk off really early if you carry your own bags with express walkoff. If you have to wait for them to haul your bags probably add an hour more. Plus time to get to the rental place

I'd add a half hour to all the ports except kona, maybe an hour for that one since you tender. You better make sure you aren't renting out of the airport in kona, that would be a big waste of time. Rent out of the king kamehameha hotel, cruise pickup.

What MikeKaye said about renting in Kona - you want to rent from Thrifty or Dollar (same staff and table) at the King Kam hotel - just steps from the tender dock. Order the car as early as you can - we were the only ship in port and there were no cars available for walkups. Nancy

I booked mine through Budget and put the docking times of the ship and had no problems. The rental car companies know when the ships dock and about when to expect customers. All of them seem to have it down to a science.

I think I was off the ship within 15 minutes of the posted docking time.

Was double checking all the papers and my DW noticed that I have the car rental pick up times the same as the ship's arrival times. Good catch - especially since I have no idea what grace time we have and also how long it takes to get off the ship. I still have a few hours to modify the reservations so here is the big question...

What is a reasonable (allowing time for breakfast and departing the ship) time for pickup for the following ship's arrival times:

Kauai - 8am

Hilo - 9am

Kona - 8am

Maui - 8am

Oahu - 7am (last day)

Just returned from 10 days on the Radiance of the Seas to Hawaii. Rented from Dollar at Lahaina, Kona, & Hilo. Even with tendering at Kona and Lahaina, I was at the rental counter each day no later than 9:00 am. I reserved a convertible at each port on Dollar dot com. Using promotion code 8COM, got a Sebring ragtop for $39 + tax per day with unlimited miles. Note...The Dollar shuttle at Lahaina and Hilo would not pick up anyone who did not already have a reservation.

Archived