Freedom dining on Oceana

Pollypops

Has anyone opted for Freedom Dining on Oceana? What was it like - the food, the ambiance, the whole experience. Did you always get a table at the time you wanted? I'm trying to persuade my other half to come with me on a cruise in 2009 (I've previously been with my mum) but his main objection is that he doesn't want to have to eat at a set time. Thought this might be an option.

i have done both freedom and club and much prefered freedom because it was exactly like it said on the tin!

You do not get stuck with anybody that you dont want to be be with, You dont feel like you need to explain if one night you do not turn up for dinner and can do whatever you please when you please without feeling guilty and you get to meet alot of other people....its much better in my opinion. The food is exactly the same as club dinning.

Mind you i have only ever done freedom on Princess cruises where the dining hours are slightly longer 6-10pm. I am looking forward to it on ventura. I think a gratuity of £1.50 pppn is added to your account for the privilage though!

Lou

Has anyone opted for Freedom Dining on Oceana? What was it like - the food, the ambiance, the whole experience. Did you always get a table at the time you wanted? I'm trying to persuade my other half to come with me on a cruise in 2009 (I've previously been with my mum) but his main objection is that he doesn't want to have to eat at a set time. Thought this might be an option.

Hi Pollypops,

We have never tried open dining as we really enjoy having the same table all the time. We have cruised 10 times and have had 10 great tables. We always go for a table of 8 on second sitting.

However we have been on Oceana and we did ask a number of people how they enjoyed the freedom dining experience. I have to say there experiences were mixed. The main complaint, was that in fact, there was very little choice as most people had to eat early or late which I suppose is only to be expected if you have to feed 1000 people in a restaurant for 500 in the same time frame as you did before in 2 sittings.

Others complained that they had to book each day to get a table.

On the other hand there where those you felt it was great and worked well for them.

I think it would work better with a ship which was all freedom and as has been said a longer time frame.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I think a gratuity of £1.50 pppn is added to your account for the privilage though!

Lou

Loobyloouk,

The £1:60 pppn added to the cabin account for Freedom Dining passengers (only those over the age of 12 years) is instead of having to tip waiters, assistant waiters and wine waiters for every table you eat at as you may well not have the same team more than a couple of times during a cruise (unless you choose to have one table for the duration of your cruise).

Last summer we chose to leave the auto tip in place but also gave something extra to those staff we saw regularly and who made a difference to our dining experience.

The tip can also be removed by visiting the pursers desk at any point during the cruise.

Feebee_71 :)

Yes, Princess do this too although i think kids also have to pay this amount.

I shall leave the tip in place, the one thing that you can guarentee on P&o is the good service and with two kids that invariably knock over a drink and ruin the table linen it seems that the waiters really earn it!!

Lou

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pollypops,

Returned last week from Norway on Oceana. Had a great time and sunny, warm weather was a bonus. We requested 2nd sitting Club Dining when we booked last year, but was not told (along with several 100 other passengers) till we boarded, that Club Dining was full and we would be in Freedom Dining. Having no option, we tried to book for first evening only to be told that they no longer take timed reservations, as passengers prefer not to have to book!! I can't believe that. First night was chaos with long queues, but after that it was fine. We enjoyed the company on our table of 8 on the first night so much that we met every night and had no trouble getting a table at 8.30 p.m. So it worked out very well for us. The menu is identical to Club Dining. One small problem is that you are probably in a different part of the dining room each night with different waiters who do not get to know you and know what you like. Also, we ordered our wine in advance before dinner, but the wine waiter knew nothing about it. After the first night we ordered it at the table, but wine service was extremely slow. We like to start our wine when we get to the table (not that we have a drink problem!!!).

There are also several other alternative restaurants to choose from, where you can book.

We are confirmed for Club Dining on Ventura this September, but may think another time about Freedom Dining.

Persuade your other half to go with you in 2009. We've been on Oceana several times and always enjoy ourselves.

Best wishes,

Windsong2

Hi Windsong2

Many thanks for the information. Unfortunately I'm still not getting anywhere with hubby, he's still not convinced cruising is for him. I shan't give up, I'll keep working on him! Maybe one day he'll agree to give it a try. In the meantime, my mum and I are looking forward to our next cruise in September.

Polly

Archived