Ecstasy in January

BIGPOPTC

Hi all, I first want to thank all of you for the great info. My DW & I will be going on the Ecstasy in Jan09 for my birthday, neither of us have ever took a cruse, do you have any info on weather that time of year in Cuzumel. Also With two kids in College and high school, mommy & daddy are on a budget. Any tips on shore excursions, would be great. I like to snorkel. What about Xcaret is it worth the day long trip or would we do better just hangin out on the Island. Sorry I know you all have probely answered these same questions a thousand times, but I really appreciate every thing. Thanks Again BIG POP da newbie....

Check the Ports of Call section for more Cozumel advise..But we really love Paradise beach it is a 14.00 cab ride there and back but it has as much or as little to offer just depends on your pockets...

http://paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

If your own a budget carry on "Extras" (Wink Wink) to help with the cost and avoid booking via the ship you will pay extra for the same excursion...

January weather will be nice after you get out of the gulf... As you know it could be 20 or 70 degrees the day you sail....

I like this website for info on Cozumel itself...

http://cozumelinsider.com/

Hope it helps and enjoy....

john

Thanks John, I was thinking of bringing some of my fav spirits with me if I could. Thanks for the links, I want to find out is the water is still warm that time of yr. Have you took this ship before? Kj

My friend and I took an Ecstasy cruise this past Feb. 9. The water at Cozumel kind of gives you a little jolt when you first step in, but once in the water, it is comfortable. We did the dolphin swim and were in the water for I guess 45 min. to an hour. (Lucky for us, they had the dolphin try a new trick with our group, so we were in longer than normal.) We were never cold in Cozumel. On the last sea day, it was too cold and windy to use the outer decks much. The rest of the time, it was very nice. DO NOT be a dummy like I was and decide to leave your jacket in your vehicle when you get there and it's nice and warm at Galveston!! I had to buy one on the ship. :rolleyes:

The water will be warm enough to swim that far south. I usually use Cozumel to shop shop shop and get on the internet. We are booked Jan 24 2009 on Ecstasy, which date did you book?

Hey Firefly, We are in the process of booking Jan 10 2009. It is our first cruise, so we are excited. I wanted to do the Conquest, but having never cruised before DW & I agreed the 5 day may be better. Thanks for all the info. Kj

Hey Firefly, We are in the process of booking Jan 10 2009. It is our first cruise, so we are excited. I wanted to do the Conquest, but having never cruised before DW & I agreed the 5 day may be better. Thanks for all the info. Kj

My sister never cruised before either, so we started with the 5 day Ecstasy, great choice imo. :) Luckily she loves to cruise.

We normaly just fly to where we are traveling, but with My oldest in UT Austin, and the baby in High School DW and I havent been any place alone in sometime so we are looking foward to this. Just mommy and daddy!!!! I was thinking of doing Xcaret what have you heard about this? Is it worth it Or should we just hand @ one of the beach clubs in Couzmel.

Do you have any info on weather that time of year in Cuzumel.

My DH and I went on Fantasy this past January, it was our very first cruise. The weather was wonderful. We went to Chankanaab Park which was absolutely gorgeous. We paid $10 each way for a cab. The shops right off the pier are awesome! Have fun!

I sailed on the Ecstasy with 4 kids and my in-laws in January 2007. We had a great time. Leaving Galveston, we had to wear sweaters because it was windy and cold. The next morning was ok weather, a little bit of rocking, my kids and I were ok but my father in law was a little sea sick. Not enough to keep him in bed. Take sea sick pills just in case. We took a cab to Paradise Beach, went swimming in the ocean and in their swimming pool, had lunch, had a massage, got my hair braided, and did a little shopping. It was a nice relaxing day. Progresso is not a pretty port. We took a bus ride into Merida and went shopping downtown. Do not book through Carnival because you will pay a lot more than you will at the ports. I hope you and your husband have a great time and hope you have a good sailing. The ship is beautiful!

My husband and I plus our 2 children are returning on Ecstasy for the 5 day Jan 10 2009 cruise. We went this past Jan for our first cruise and loved it. Its was 82 degrees and sunny in Cozumel and it was trying to rain in Progresso but never did. :)

My husband and I plus our 2 children are returning on Ecstasy for the 5 day Jan 10 2009 cruise. We went this past Jan for our first cruise and loved it. Its was 82 degrees and sunny in Cozumel and it was trying to rain in Progresso but never did. :)

Cool we are going on the same Cruise then, 82 and sunny sounds great, compared to 30deg in Texas, Being our first cruise we are not sure what to expect. I like to snorkle and Dw likes naps in the Hamock. Are you going in a group? I have read that sometime you can get drink deals if you book with a group. Not that we are big drinkers, but it would be nice not to worry with the extra cost at the end of our trip. Thanks 55,

Kevin.

I have been to XCaret. It was pricey but we had a good time. We did the underground river -- be prepared, that water was COLD! Then we sat on the beach and sipped cocktails from a giant pineapple.

Would you suggest a different excursion, for snorkeling, my lil bride dosent swim all that great BUT she can float with the best of them. lol

Kevin

Would you suggest a different excursion, for snorkeling, my lil bride dosent swim all that great BUT she can float with the best of them. lol

Kevin

Wow there are tons of snorkeling options in Cozumel, so it's hard to pick one.

Xcaret would still be a good choice -- but the underground river is not a snorkeling excursion per se. You just float along in a river that goes thru a cave. You don't have to be a good swimmer. Something to hold onto as you float makes things easier. There are beach coves to snorkel elsewhere in the park.

Chankanaab is also a good place to snorkel. Cheap cab ride, cheap entrance fee. Get your pic with a parrot. The snorkeling was really cool -- we saw a barracuda. You snorkel right from the beach.

Another option is to take an excursion where you go out on a boat and they take you to a reef. I would recommend the Fiesta Party Boat, but I hear that's gone now. Is the Fury Catamaran still around? I did that one once -- had a BLAST! Trying to dance on the deck of the ship on the way back -- after the tequila conga line and going thru some pretty serious waves -- now that was an experience! Wish I could do it again next time, but *sigh* will be with the kiddos and have to set an example . . .

Cool we are going on the same Cruise then, 82 and sunny sounds great, compared to 30deg in Texas, Being our first cruise we are not sure what to expect. I like to snorkle and Dw likes naps in the Hamock. Are you going in a group? I have read that sometime you can get drink deals if you book with a group. Not that we are big drinkers, but it would be nice not to worry with the extra cost at the end of our trip. Thanks 55,

Kevin.

That is so cool you are going too. My husband and just hung out in Cozumel shopping and went to Margaritaville. You have GOT to go to Margaritaville! Cozumel is supposed to have great places to snorkel and beaches. Our next time we will have our girls so we probably do the beach thing. We are not in a group, but I know you can get a "bucket of beer" cheaper. It comes in something that looks like a trash can I think, (I saw one across the deck) It is full of beer and ice and it is cheaper than buying the beer individually.

In Progresso we will probably go see the ruins, last time we just shopped bec. the weather was iffy...but we had a fabulous time, I wish it had never ended.

It was our 25th wedding anniversary trip. The 1st time we had every been away from our girls! Cruising is the only vacation I want to do now.

I hope we can get together and meet on the cruise since we are practically neighbors. :cool:

That is so cool you are going too. My husband and just hung out in Cozumel shopping and went to Margaritaville. You have GOT to go to Margaritaville! Cozumel is supposed to have great places to snorkel and beaches. Our next time we will have our girls so we probably do the beach thing. We are not in a group, but I know you can get a "bucket of beer" cheaper. It comes in something that looks like a trash can I think, (I saw one across the deck) It is full of beer and ice and it is cheaper than buying the beer individually.

In Progresso we will probably go see the ruins, last time we just shopped bec. the weather was iffy...but we had a fabulous time, I wish it had never ended.

It was our 25th wedding anniversary trip. The 1st time we had every been away from our girls! Cruising is the only vacation I want to do now.

I hope we can get together and meet on the cruise since we are practically neighbors. :cool:

I cant wait!! We are leaving the kids @ home my son will be home from UT Texas GO LONG HORNS !!!! sorry just had to let that out. So he will stay with my daughter while we are gone. With our schedules, DW (days)and I (nights) dont get much time so this really needed. I want to see Ron Johns Surf shop, I lived in Cocoa FL and used to go to that one when they just started. Margaritaville for sure. Thanks for all the info. BIG POP aka Kevin..

This is what I did in Cozumel... (Click On The Video)

th_RokkiSeaTrekAdventureCozumel07059.jpg

We were under water for about 50minutes then we snorkled for about 30-40mins.(the great thing about the Sea Trek adventure & the snorkle is that you do NOT need to know how to swim for either one.)

This is what I did in Cozumel... (Click On The Video)

th_RokkiSeaTrekAdventureCozumel07059.jpg

We were under water for about 50minutes then we snorkled for about 30-40mins.(the great thing about the Sea Trek adventure & the snorkle is that you do NOT need to know how to swim for either one.)

OMG OMG !!! WOO HOOO! THATS SO FREAKING COOL !!! thanks for sharing that with me. Now i just have to talk mt lil bride into doing it with me.. Do you remember the $$? And what times do they go out. I want to do the A beach park for a while, do you think we will have enough time for both? THanks so much !!!!!!!

Archived